Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   treecastle

treecastle

AllStar

• Registered
  • 91 posts
  • LocationEast Tennessee

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:59 AM

Well, I kicked D* to the curb and went for a Hopper and 3 Joeys :) The install took 2 days due to a hardware problem and this being the tech's first Hopper install. The first day Hopper ended up being DOA and no others on his truck, so the next morning bright and early (7 AM) he showed up with a new Hopper and Starbucks for me and the wife - a very dedicated tech :D. It took a while but the second Hopper worked like a champ, and the Joeys installed perfectly. I am very impressed with the HD picture. My only problem now is learning new channel numbers.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

Install went pretty easily. Was done in about two hours, including replacing a couple of faceplates that had bad barrels. Now that I have some time to breathe:
1. Guide didn't populate fully until the 4th reboot. Couldn't turn PTAT on until it did.
2. EHD worked perfectly, tech was pleasantly surprised. Transfer is still in effect, so I'll know that everything's back sometime today.
3. Joey takes a bit to find the Hopper first thing in the morning.
4. Logitech Revue was working fine without having to tell it the receiver (ex 211, now Joey) had changed.

The bad:
1. DLNA stuff is dead in the water, as mentioned in the Software thread. Pain in the butt.
2. Search doesn't ...quite work right. I'll give it another 24 hours before I panic, since I'm a veteran of the old 922 "bake-in" process.

Otherwise it's weird to say but it LOOKS better, PQ-wise. I don't know why. PTAT is pretty freaking slick. I was under the impression it was 7-11 not 8-11 but meh.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#123 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:54 AM

Took a few days before search was fully functional on mine.

PTAT is 7-11 on weekends I think, 8-11 otherwise with a few exceptions for special events (sports, etc.).

PQ seemed better to me too, both HD and SD.

There is apparently a bug making timers from DishOnline (which is how a made all of mine :mad:). So I had to delete them all and create them on the DVR or they wouldn't work properly. Be aware of that.

#124 OFFLINE   New2Hopper

New2Hopper

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:01 AM

Hello again,

I haven't heard anything regarding my original posting (#113), but in "sleeping on it" a bit, I may have narrowed down the issue -- at least, it sounded good in my head while I was dreaming about it.....

Being new to the world of DISH acronyms and the various components, it dawned on me that the MAC address I was looking at, and put into my router was for the "MoCA", not the ethernet card..... Does this sound correct?

So, if that's the case, then HOW or WHERE do I discover the MAC address of the ethernet card(s) that are in the Hopper(s)?

I am only able to see the details of the "MoCA" under the Broadband screen on the Hopper .... the cursor will not scroll over any of the other options that are there. (Ethernet Top, Ethernet Bottom, or Wireless)

Please, I could REALLY use your help here.

Thanks.

Rick W

#125 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:16 AM

It sounds like the Hopper is not seeing the router. A 169.x.x.x is normally a default address assign by the computer, ex. Windows. You have already stated your router IP range begins with 192.x.x.x so something is preventing the Hopper from obtaining the correct address. It sounds like a configuration issue with the router. Is DHCP enabled on your router? Have you spoken to your ISP provider? Thanks.

I found this information on the Internet:

If your IP Address starts with 169.XX.XX.XX you have an invalid IP Address and will not be able to access the Internet. The reasons you would have such an IP Address are: (1) You've hooked a new computer up to your modem (or a different computer), (2) You have reformatted your hard drive, (3) You connected another device to your modem or router and have lost your correct IP Address. The aforementioned are usually the reasons you lose your IP. A correct IP Address starts with 192.168.X.XXX if you have a router, if you're connected directly from the modem to one computer your IP Address will start with 2 numbers before the first decimal point instead of 3, in a format like 24.XX.XX.XX, or 72.XX.XX.XX, or 68, 69, 72, etc.

http://www.ehow.com/...ip-address.html

Hello again,

I haven't heard anything regarding my original posting (#113), but in "sleeping on it" a bit, I may have narrowed down the issue -- at least, it sounded good in my head while I was dreaming about it.....

Being new to the world of DISH acronyms and the various components, it dawned on me that the MAC address I was looking at, and put into my router was for the "MoCA", not the ethernet card..... Does this sound correct?

So, if that's the case, then HOW or WHERE do I discover the MAC address of the ethernet card(s) that are in the Hopper(s)?

I am only able to see the details of the "MoCA" under the Broadband screen on the Hopper .... the cursor will not scroll over any of the other options that are there. (Ethernet Top, Ethernet Bottom, or Wireless)

Thanks.

Rick W

#126 OFFLINE   gulfwarvet

gulfwarvet

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,205 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

Hello again,

Thanks.

Rick W

Instead of trying to scroll the cursor to the left, move it all the way up to the top. It should jump over to it OR you can simply hit the "red" shortcut button.
DBSTalk Chat Room Moderator

#127 OFFLINE   New2Hopper

New2Hopper

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and to research a bit.

I was finally able to figure out the issue, and it did turn out to be somewhat simple, and on the same track as I had posted in my 2nd msg....

I ended up just turning off the MAC address filtering on the router, and once I did that, the Hopper recognized the connection, attached, received it's DHCP address from my router, and the ethernet connection became an active menu item in the Broadband screen of the network settings on the Hopper. At that point, the MAC address for the ethernet card (bottom) displayed, so I was able to put it into the router table and turn MAC address filtering back on..... simple, hey?!

So, all is well, but there should be a way to get the MAC addresses from the Hopper BEFORE going thru all of this, but hopefully this will help anyone else out there who may have gone thru (or are currently going thru) this.

Again, thanks for your input and your assistance.

RW

#128 OFFLINE   New2Hopper

New2Hopper

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:39 AM

Hi Gulfwarvet,

Thanks for answering.

What I found is that only "active" menu items will display in the Network Settings menu, so since before I got the Ethernet to work, the only thing that could be displayed was the "MoCA" settings.

Now that the bottom Ethernet port is active and working, the cursor will move to it and display its settings, too. But, the top Ethernet port and the Wireless options cannot be displayed.

Still getting used to how everything works on this new system.

Now, if only we can figure out why all four Joey's got put onto one Hopper.... but, that's another can of worms, I'm sure.

#129 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Hi Ray,

Thanks for taking the time to respond and to research a bit.

I was finally able to figure out the issue, and it did turn out to be somewhat simple, and on the same track as I had posted in my 2nd msg....

I ended up just turning off the MAC address filtering on the router, and once I did that, the Hopper recognized the connection, attached, received it's DHCP address from my router, and the ethernet connection became an active menu item in the Broadband screen of the network settings on the Hopper. At that point, the MAC address for the ethernet card (bottom) displayed, so I was able to put it into the router table and turn MAC address filtering back on..... simple, hey?!

So, all is well, but there should be a way to get the MAC addresses from the Hopper BEFORE going thru all of this, but hopefully this will help anyone else out there who may have gone thru (or are currently going thru) this.

Again, thanks for your input and your assistance.

RW

By [FCC] regulation, all devices having Ethernet interface(s) must accompanied by a label with MAC address on back or bottom or by sticker in a box.
The company should obey the regulation.

#130 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:45 AM

By [FCC] regulation, all devices having Ethernet interface(s) must accompanied by a label with MAC address on back or bottom or by sticker in a box.

My laptop's wireless card has the MAC address on a sticker on the card, internally. I can't get it without opening the access door or checking in the OS. That's not against the law, and neither is wherever Dish elected to put the labels.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#131 OFFLINE   New2Hopper

New2Hopper

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

regulation, all devices having Ethernet interface(s) must accompanied by a label with MAC address on back or bottom or by sticker in a box.

My laptop's wireless card has the MAC address on a sticker on the card, internally. I can't get it without opening the access door or checking in the OS. That's not against the law, and neither is wherever Dish elected to put the labels.

Right... My thinking was more along the lines that the Hopper should have some sort of "Device Manager" discovery menu item, or simply list the MAC addresses somewhere in the diagnostics, or something.

#132 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

Well, there is a moment of installing additional component like WiFi card, then the manufacturer of the additional card is responsible for provide the label. What was done in accordance the rules.
That is serviceable compartment/slot and end user has access to it.

Back to the topic - the company well known as a seeker to cut cost: not certifying USB, eSATA, FireWire, etc.
I'm surprised not see MAC label on STB by DTV and dish.How they managed to escape of the requirement ? Perhaps skip the certification too.
Cable boxes had these labels.

#133 OFFLINE   wuv_dish

wuv_dish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:02 PM

Just go into the config of the router and you will see the MAC address of the hopper listed under DHCP clients.

#134 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:30 PM

Just go into the config of the router and you will see the MAC address of the hopper listed under DHCP clients.

Good enough, but only if your STB got DHCP lease from the router.

Working, but not always. See the discussion above.

#135 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,898 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

MAC addresses are available on the Hopper and Joey GUI.
Menu - Settings - Network Setup - Broadband

Press the red button on the screen to select each adapter in use on the receiver.

The MoCA network will show 169.254 addresses unless one has a HIC connected on the coax network. But the MAC is still there - and video streams fine despite being "not connected".

Without the HIC each Hopper or Joey apparently needs to be connected to Ethernet to access your home network.

#136 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

My install was scheduled between 8 & noon. Tech called me at 7 to say he would be here by 8. Showed up about 7:50 and waited outside until 8. One Hopper and One Joey, (coming from DirecTV with three DVR's). Install took about 3 and a half hours to complete install (to put up dish, run new R6 from node to Dish, set up Hopper and then Joey). Went very smooth. Only small glitch was the Hopper did not see my DCHP & IP. Reset Hopper several times including a hard reset (pulled power) and same results. My network requires the Mac to be input which I did but still no go. When I reset my modem and router still no go. Went back to my router filters and this time noticed Xip813 showed up in the name and I cloned and then the Hopper recognized it right away. Maybe coincidence and it just need a bit of time. Other than that all went well. Tech was very professional and cleaned up everything. Was pretty willing to do about anything I needed but didn't really need to much. Overall...very happy at this point.

#137 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:10 AM

MAC addresses are available on the Hopper and Joey GUI.
Menu - Settings - Network Setup - Broadband

Press the red button on the screen to select each adapter in use on the receiver.

The MoCA network will show 169.254 addresses unless one has a HIC connected on the coax network. But the MAC is still there - and video streams fine despite being "not connected".

Without the HIC each Hopper or Joey apparently needs to be connected to Ethernet to access your home network.

I have internet only to my Hopper right now (no HIC); the Joey's show red "not connected" in their broadband setup, however, they access online streaming, Blockbuster, etc. just fine; obviously through the Hopper. I don't see why the Joey's even need their own connection? They are just slaves to the Hopper apparently.

Why do the Joey's have their own internet setup, and what's a reason we'd want it connected?

On another note, I keep noticing people who seem to think the picture quality looks better with the new setup! I also noticed this, and I wonder why this is happening? With so many people noticing it, beginning to wonder if there's something to this? Interesting...

I especially notice it on DishHD channels, tuff like HBO, ESPN, etc. just seem to be very nicely saturated, less artifacts, etc. I wonder if these units have better video decompression chips or something.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#138 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,917 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I have internet only to my Hopper right now (no HIC); the Joey's show red "not connected" in their broadband setup, however, they access online streaming, Blockbuster, etc. just fine; obviously through the Hopper. I don't see why the Joey's even need their own connection? They are just slaves to the Hopper apparently.

Why do the Joey's have their own internet setup, and what's a reason we'd want it connected?

On another note, I keep noticing people who seem to think the picture quality looks better with the new setup! I also noticed this, and I wonder why this is happening? With so many people noticing it, beginning to wonder if there's something to this? Interesting...

I especially notice it on DishHD channels, tuff like HBO, ESPN, etc. just seem to be very nicely saturated, less artifacts, etc. I wonder if these units have better video decompression chips or something.

Could be alternative path to MOCA ?

#139 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:35 PM

Could be alternative path to MOCA ?

Do the joeys have an Ethernet connection on the back?

#140 ONLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,325 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:39 PM

Why do the Joey's have their own internet setup, and what's a reason we'd want it

all moca is in a very basic way to state it is a way to use a coax cable instead of an Ethernet cable. Anything hooked up to a network generally has networking setup.

What's a HIc? Is that like a ick for DirecTV? If so, then I can easily see that at some point, maybe you will be able to plug your Internet into the Joey and have it distribute to all the other units, instead of having the hopper do it. That would just make installs easier is all.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...