Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:15 PM

Why do the Joey's have their own internet setup, and what's a reason we'd want it connected?

From what I understand, apps that rely on the home network for data work or work better if the Joeys are connected to a HIC or directly to the home network.

Not relying on MoCA to the Hopper then Hopper to the home network cuts out the middleman, so to speak. The HIC has the single purpose of being a router between MoCA and the home network. It doesn't have to do anything else (such as tune, store or display TV) so it provides a better connection.

On another note, I keep noticing people who seem to think the picture quality looks better with the new setup! I also noticed this, and I wonder why this is happening? With so many people noticing it, beginning to wonder if there's something to this? Interesting...

I especially notice it on DishHD channels, tuff like HBO, ESPN, etc. just seem to be very nicely saturated, less artifacts, etc. I wonder if these units have better video decompression chips or something.

Perhaps. Since they get the same feeds as every other DISH receiver I don't see why else the picture would be better.

Do the joeys have an Ethernet connection on the back?

Yes.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,929 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:15 PM

Do the joeys have an Ethernet connection on the back?

You could start from basic knowledge here: EKB: h2k http://dishuser.org/hopper.php joey http://dishuser.org/joey.php

#143 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

The Joey's do have an Ethernet connection, but if you connect it, it does NOT share this connection with the Hopper or other Joey's.

That's the first way we tried to hook it up, since it made sense - attach internet to any unit, and it should share it, but apparently you have to connect internet directly to the Hopper itself, at least for now. (or use a HIC) My installer didn't have a HIC, so we used a wireless USB dongle on the Hopper, and it works great actually.

When I had the Joey connected to Ethernet, it showed connected to the internet, but I couldn't see anything you could do with it.

IMO, the Joey's should work like a HIC, and if you attach Internet to them, it should share it to the Hopper via MoCA. (I am not that familiar with MoCA, so not sure this is possible, just saying that would make sense physically to have it work that way.)

#144 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

Ok, tonight is proving to be an interesting night as far as PTAT operation goes.

The NCAA playoff's are on CBS, running to 11pm central, which is 1 hour past normal PT stoppage (10pm here). The timer added an hour to that, so it's recording PTAT from 7-12, 5 whole hours it appears. (Plus the 5-minutes PTAT pads on the front and end, for a total of 5 hours, 10 minutes)

What's interesting is what it did with a normal timer I have set to record local NBC news, right after PTAT, at 10PM.

Since PTAT was automatically set to run past that, it disabled my own timer for the news, with a message "Skipped: PrimeTime Anytime Event"

It then recorded my NBC news program, using the PTAT tuner (which is still recording basketball on CBS). It shows it in my DVR area, not the PTAT area, as a single 35-minute program, as if I'd recorded it using my own timer. So it basically recorded it like a PTAT program, and saved it to my area for me automatically.

If I go watch it, and pause, the "timeline" at the bottom of the screen,it shows the entire NBC timeline for the night, all 5-hours and 10 minutes of it. So it's recording 5+ hours of every network, but it was smart enough to cancel my timer, and extract the news out of it for me.

This is harder to explain than see, but it's freaking slick. What it makes me wish is I could extend PTAT to whatever time I wanted, or maybe use it at other times. Maybe someday...

Dish needs some kind of award for the PTAT invention and operation. I'm really impressed.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#145 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:45 PM

IMO, the Joey's should work like a HIC, and if you attach Internet to them, it should share it to the Hopper via MoCA. (I am not that familiar with MoCA, so not sure this is possible, just saying that would make sense physically to have it work that way.)

Agreed. It would be nice if either the Hopper or Joey could be the "router" between the MoCA network and the home network (and the Internet). Then one could tie in the network at any convenient point without using a HIC.

But the HIC is easy enough to install and could be placed near a Joey or a Hopper if that is where your network is or in a completely different location if your house isn't wired so I suppose as long as HICs are free (when installed) and installers have them on the truck it works around the issue of not having a "router" built into the Hoppers or Joeys.

#146 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:52 PM

It then recorded my NBC news program, using the PTAT tuner (which is still recording basketball on CBS). It shows it in my DVR area, not the PTAT area, as a single 35-minute program, as if I'd recorded it using my own timer. So it basically recorded it like a PTAT program, and saved it to my area for me automatically.

My curiosity is what happens on Day 9 when the program is officially out of PTA. Does a half hour program like "30 Rock" get saved as the entire evening of programming? Would saving a season of "30 Rock" episodes take up a minimum of three hours per recording (tonight two new five hour recordings)? 250 hours could go away real quick if 30 minute programs take up 3+ hours each.

#147 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:43 PM

Is there anyway around paying for the "technician" install of the Hopper/Joey?
Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#148 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,443 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:55 AM

My curiosity is what happens on Day 9 when the program is officially out of PTA. Does a half hour program like "30 Rock" get saved as the entire evening of programming? Would saving a season of "30 Rock" episodes take up a minimum of three hours per recording (tonight two new five hour recordings)? 250 hours could go away real quick if 30 minute programs take up 3+ hours each.

That's a great question. Has anyone manually moved a show from ptat to their hard folder and seen of it still shows so much being recorded for that one program?

#149 OFFLINE   txsrooster

txsrooster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:40 AM

My appointment was between 12-5pm. The installer showed up at 7. No phone calls nothing, and I had to go get him from the neighbors house..thought here we go, this is going to be a nightmare...but I was wrong. He was super nice and was on his 4th Hopper/Joey install of the day. The longest part seemed to be the downloading of software. Only have hardline internet to one hopper, and the installer did not have a HIC on the truck, but promised to bring one by and install later. I figured out how to switch the joey from hopper to hopper, which will come in handy. He finished up around 11pm...once I get home this afternoon I can actually customize it then will know if I made the right decision or not.

#150 OFFLINE   desiguy2447

desiguy2447

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:59 AM

Thanks for the information! Will find out in about 24hrs from now (provided the installer) shows up at 8am on Saturday as planned.

#151 OFFLINE   jefte1

jefte1

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 80 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

hello all, I have a question. I have 2 722's hd dvr's due to my daughter having her own programs to record. I thought of just upgrading to 1 Hopper and 1 joey but there are programs she likes on the off network channels such as TLC,Nat Geo, etc. and we like others ,so, there would be a conflict with recording of shows if we didn't have 2. can Dish install 2 hoppers and no joeys? Thanks for your help.

#152 OFFLINE   marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

hello all, I have a question. I have 2 722's hd dvr's due to my daughter having her own programs to record. I thought of just upgrading to 1 Hopper and 1 joey but there are programs she likes on the off network channels such as TLC,Nat Geo, etc. and we like others ,so, there would be a conflict with recording of shows if we didn't have 2. can Dish install 2 hoppers and no joeys? Thanks for your help.

I had this same issue (only with two teenage boys). The cost of 2 Hoppers and 2 Joey's was the same for me as 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. It did cost $100 extra at startup (my upgrade per receiver fee), but it is well worth it. For the first time in years, we can't watch all of our tuners at the same time, and haven't had a conflict with recording either. I am not sure about the "no Joeys" part. However, do know that, while both Joeys can see either Hopper, the Hopper's cannot yet "see" each other, and therefore cannot share programming between each other.

#153 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,938 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

That's a great question. Has anyone manually moved a show from ptat to their hard folder and seen of it still shows so much being recorded for that one program?

So far it does ... but I have not seen the end of eight days.

#154 OFFLINE   gboybama

gboybama

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

I have tried this. Either it is impossible or reps are highly resistant to letting a hopper go without at least one joey paired with it at the install.

I wanted to have two hoppers, one joey and two additional TV's serviced by the 322 that I own. I was told this is in no way doable by two reps both for the legacy receiver violation and for requesting more hoppers than joeys.

So, I am getting two hoppers and three joeys next Friday. I'm going to be short on tuners until the OTA module is released, so I'm considering canceling the appointment. (Currently have 722 (single mode), 211, 211 and 322 (duo))

#155 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:42 PM

I got two hoppers and two joeys installed today. There are some problems.

1. The second Hopper won't link with the other Hopper or the two Joeys. Each hopper is on a wired network connection to 1gig ports.
2. The hard drives (previously used for DVR and copy to storage) are not recognized. They each worked prior to the install.

There are other problems but this is a good start.

Edit: I discovered the Hoppers are not yet able to be fully meshed. I also discovered the hard drives will probably be enabled after 24 hours. I found this out by calling support.

Edit2: External Hard Drives are still not functional.
As another note, the installation took 3.5 hours. The installer was quite knowledgeable. The installer replaced the LNB with their latest LNB. We now have no switch. However, we do notice locals and some other channels show loss of signal when we switch channels. On Demand is now working as is Blockbuster@home.

Scott

Edited by dunkonu23, 24 March 2012 - 01:40 PM.

#156 OFFLINE   bobiii

bobiii

Mentor

• Registered
  • 40 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

The installation took place on 3/21. The installer arrived at approximately 11 AM and the worst thing that had to be done, I thought, was a new run to the hopper using RG-6. This was done pretty fast and then all hell broke loose! The installer didn't leave my house until approximately 6 PM that evening. Most of the problems were trying to get the proper software downloaded! First the hopper wouldn't cooperate until it was left on standby for 1 hours, then it finally took the necessary software. Then it was each joey one at a time and again, they refused to download their software. Finally through searching online, I found some helpful hints from Scott ____. He had a special procedure for resetting the joeys so that it would trigger a proper download. So around 5 o'clock everything starting working as it should! I'm a happy camper. Love the system. Problems I had was 1) trouble with close captioning which was resolved by the following day (new software?) and 2) While I can listen to Xm music on the hopper, trying to listen to the same channels on joeys causes stuttering so bad that you can't understand what the song is. 3) the dnla on joeys do not see any of my servers which are seen by the hopper. I guess I need to supply a network connection to each joey for this to work. Primetime is great!

#157 OFFLINE   GeeWhiz1

GeeWhiz1

Legend

• Registered
  • 121 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:39 PM

OK, today I replaced 2-Vip622s with a Hopper and 2 Joeys.

My appointment was between Noon and 5:00. The installer arrived at 3:00 and was done at about 7:00. Most of the time was spent replacing my dish so that it was mounted more securely. So in addition to everything else, I got a new 1000.2 dish and LNBs.

The first Hopper that he tried to hook up was DOA. Luckily, he had one more on the truck. Most of the time after that was waiting for the software updates, etc. Once the Hopper was up and running, he set up the 2 Joeys. There were no real problems, just more time while they downloaded and installed their updates.

So now I am up and running on all 3 TVs, so it's time to play.
Greg ... in the heart of the whine country

#158 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 318 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

Minor issues as the tech could use my current wiring. Hopper is a little buggy and has locked up once already (unplug to fix,) but overall nice...

My install was one Hopper and 2 Joeys. The Hopper in my Living Room and a Joey's in my home office and kitchen.

THE GOOD:
  • Whole house DVR works!
  • Picture seems sharper (no idea why)
  • DVR Interface
  • Apps option
  • Install tech was very nice and knowledgeable about the Hopper

The Not so Good...
  • Hopper and Joeys can heat a 3 bedroom house!
  • My living room and kitchen are close and the joey runs about 2-3 seconds ahead of the Hopper when on the same channel. I was mirroring my kitchen from my living room and will probably go back to that setup as the echo is really bad.
  • Dish tech support really not ready to support it - poor support
  • Had to install a "HIC" to get internet access (no idea why)

Would I do it again.... Hmmmm. Give me a few weeks to make that call. I may wait for the cost of a Joey to drop and buy instead of renting. $170.00 to now, but it would pay for itself in 2 years.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#159 OFFLINE   sjohannes

sjohannes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:53 AM

Made the switch to dish last weekend after directv refused to send me a replacement receiver with a new hard-drive to fix a failing receiver. I had the entire directv whole home setup before getting the hopper, so I can tell you what I think works better on either solution. I was replacing two HD DVRS for 2 tv's and got a single hopper and joey setup for my house(2 televisions). The install took a little longer due to storms and guide download issues, but overall pretty easy.

In terms of the setup, I'm impressed by the speed of both the hopper and joey. The directv dvr's are just plain slow and noisy. My house is a lot more quiet given the joey and the hopper. I miss having a fourth tuner but the PTAT makes up for that as we record a lot of network programming at the same time, so less need. My biggest problems right now is that sling with ipad/iphones on ios 5.1 does not work well even on home wifi. I also have issues with my Joey losing the hopper connection every so often and needing a reset. Beyond that everything else works as expected, although I called dish and the program guide search was broken.

I'm sure some of the bugs will be fixed long-term and honestly when I first got whole home on directv it was kinda of buggy and slow. The bugs went away and are still slow.

IMHO since I used both here are the strengthes/weaknesses of each solution

Hopper/Joey
- Speed
- Modern UI - Even the new HD UI of directv is not as "clean" as the Dish UI
- Wiring - No ugly adapters, true single wire solution
- PTAT
- Speed did I mention that
- Ability to see "entire schedule" of recordings

Directv Whole Home
- Stability - I rarely had to reboot receivers
- Remote access - The directv ipad app and nomad functionality actually works and is much easier to use than the sling solution.
- Tuners - you can have multiple DVR's so tuner limits is not as much of an issue(multiple tvs, more than 2)

I think both solutions have their merits and if you can actually get Directv to give you new or equipment that's not 4 years old as a replacement, then it's not a bad option. I went to Dish strictly because it was cheaper to cancel my directv service, than the cost of getting a dvr with a new hard drive instead of another 4 year old DVR from directv.

Although I miss the remote access features, so far Dish has been a pleasant experience.

Take care,
Stephen

#160 OFFLINE   rsicard

rsicard

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 26 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

Just had a hopper and 1 joey installed (replacing a 922 and a 722) in about 2 hours with some minor cabling. Installer did a great job, software did take a little bit to download but seem ok. Very happy so far with the new equipment.
---
Dish Hopper (HDMI to Sony KDL-52XBR9)
Dish Joey (HDMI to Sony KDL-40XBR2)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...