Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

My Hopper/Joey Install Experience

• Please log in to reply
491 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:28 PM

...Although I miss the remote access features...

Nice review. But what features are you talking about? Dish seems to have a lot more than DirecTV (live streaming, DVR streaming, DVR management, etc.). All you need is the $30 sling adapter and you get streaming. Directv can only stream in your house or copy recordings to carry with you. And they can't manage your recordings online, only schedule new ones.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#162 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

...I may wait for the cost of a Joey to drop and buy instead of renting. $170.00 to now, but it would pay for itself in 2 years.

That would be nice, but they're still going to charge you $7 a month to watch it whether you own or rent. So there is no cost advantage at all to owning.

#163 OFFLINE   rcamburn

rcamburn

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:47 PM

I replaced my 722 with a the Hopper & 1 Joey on 3/19.

The installer showed up @10AM, replaced my 2 dishes w/one on the eastern arc, installed the Hopper/Joey using the existing RG6 cable that was already run to TV2 from the existing 722.

He said that this was his second install of these new units.I'd say he knew what he was doing.

He was gone by 11:30, the longest part was waiting for the Hopper to download software updates & the program guide to most of the day to load.

So far, I've only had one problem, the Joey was not seeing the Hopper, so I reset the Hopper & that restored communication.

#164 OFFLINE   sjohannes

sjohannes

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:14 PM

Nice review. But what features are you talking about? Dish seems to have a lot more than DirecTV (live streaming, DVR streaming, DVR management, etc.). All you need is the $30 sling adapter and you get streaming. Directv can only stream in your house or copy recordings to carry with you. And they can't manage your recordings online, only schedule new ones.

As I said the sling adapter does not work well with my hopper over my home network and is not stable. The remote scheduler and remote control iPad apps on directv are much easier to use than sling. Offline access to my recordings was nice because sling uses one of the three tuners. If my sling adapter that I bought from dish would work as designed I might not miss the directv apps. I am hoping that eventually this will get fixed, but livetv is dicey and watching a recording only works when nobody is watching tv at the house and no recordings are being done.

That being said I would still recommend the hopper/Joey combo especially if you only have two tv's and don't need the nfl package. The receiver speed is drool worthy compared to an hr20.

Take care,
Stephen

#165 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:52 PM

just replaced 1 722k and 2 regular HD receivers with 1 Hopper and 2 Joey's.
tech got here at 2.25pm
it was his first Hopper/Joey install but he knew exactly what he was doing.
install was done in 3.30 hours and EVERYTHING works perfectly(first try)
the Sling adapter works perfectly to.according to him the Hooper should be installed first ,let it download software ,guide etc and then intall 1 joey and then another(not all at the same time)
gotta say i LOVE the new Whole home DVR its awesome:D
oh and the speed of this things is incredible

#166 OFFLINE   desiguy2447

desiguy2447

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

As planned the Dish installer showed up on time at 8:00am on Saturday with calling at 7:30am prior to coming out. The install took four hours to get one hopper, and three joey's connected.

The first hour of the install was spent at the Dish box where the DP44 switch was housed, and having to run a new line for the power insert for the DP44 switch as to the number of SAT I pick up (have international channels here), and because the Power insert cannot be on the same line with the Hopper and Joey's. A separate run is required.

The new line got run from my second kitchen which happened to be located by the dish switch took about 15 minutes. Then the NOD got wired to the DP44 which took the remaining time to get connected as four new cables had to be made.

Once the outside work was done the Hopper took about an hour to set up mainly because it kept getting stuck at checking the switch after the firmware / software was downloaded which got fixed after three reboots.

Joey's got installed one at time as instructed by Dish all linked to the hopper with out issue. The install company did say hold off connecting the Ethernet cables to the Joey because it will just cause issues at this point.

The Hopper is connected to via Ethernet.

At 12pm the install was done the tech left. Then came the storm and the new install survived a massive lightening strike with everything still linked once the equipment came back up. (I was actually glad it occurred for a real test).

In concluding everything went smooth and everything works! At some point I will hook up the Ethernet cabling to the Joey's.

#167 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:38 PM

UPDATE: Install now complete - 10 hours: 12:30-10:30PM. 1 Hopper, 3 Joeys.

I'll have plenty more comments tomorrow...

Replaced dish on roof, and told me other dish (installed 7 years ago) was not needed.

After about 6 hours, still could not get the software downloaded on the hopper. Tech went back to depot and got a 2nd hopper. That one updated in 30 minutes.

Not sure if software download is via internet or satellite, but the lack of a progress indicator on that screen is a real killer. We have retried at least 5 times, waiting 30+ minutes each. Since there is no percentage or count of data - you have no idea if it is progressing at all.

The software update screen really needs a progress bar! Even Better - the Hopper and Joey's should be updated before the installer arrives - no good reason he has to sit at my house and do the updates - especially since it took at least 20 minutes per Joey and more for the Hopper.

P.S. installer was nice - But it was a long day for both of us....

Edited by rpotts, 26 March 2012 - 07:32 AM.
Update with more current information.

#168 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Software only comes via satellite ... and I agree, progress bars are nice - although one should not interrupt a software download.

I'd like to see DISH pre-download the software back at the shop before coming out for the install. Install times seem to be coming down, but when there is an issue it seems to be with the download.

#169 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:04 AM

Installer showed up about 10:30, and was done by 2:30.
Installed two Hoppers and three Joeys, along with a HIC.
software loaded fine, Guide seemed to update with no hitches, and my External drive was recognized without issue.

Broadband connection seems very stable, unlike 922.
Picture seems better (although that may be in my head because others have said it seemed sharper).
Response to remote commands is quick.
Harmony One remote seems to work flawlessly so far.

Despite my asking three times (on separate occasions), they did not send a Sling adapter with the technician. A quick call has one on its way to me though. We'll see if it stays connected better than the 922's built-in.

Search function would not search Program Guide initially (only my archived stuff), but kicked in after a few hours.
I was surprised to see only 500 GB of free space on both Hoppers, and the tech was surprised as well. A little reading here revealed that was normal though.
Only real "glitch" in the install occurred when the HIC was installed.
The tech placed it on top of the Joey in our office. when I went back into the office an hour or so later, there was a warning screen up, stating the Joey temperature had reached 172 degrees! I immediately relocated the HIC :eek2:.

Otherwise, everything seems to function really well, and PTAT is pretty awesome.

#170 OFFLINE   dvrblogger

dvrblogger

Icon

• Registered
  • 562 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

I had my Hopper and Joey installed last week. The installer did a great job, called ahead of time etc. The only negative was the Hopper sat tryingto download new software for over an hour I finally re-booted it when the tech was out to lunch and only then did it download the software. System works great, DISH did a nice job.

#171 OFFLINE   eric_7820

eric_7820

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

One Hopper and one Joey installed on March 16th.
2.5 hour install time. The tech had already install a Hopper and Joey on the previous day and installation was straight forward. The Hopper required one unexpected reboot during installation.
No issues and working great. PTAT is a terrific feature.

Dumped DIRECTV as the receiver (HR21) performance is awful and no solutions that DIRECTV would make available without $$$ up front.

Dish HD picture quality is similar to DIRECTV. Maybe DIRECTV gets the edge on this one, the jury is still out for me?
Experienced some picture breakup on HMC, it only happens occasionally?

Happy to be with Dish as the receiver technology is superior to DIRECTV.

#172 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

One Hopper and one Joey installed on March 16th.
2.5 hour install time. The tech had already install a Hopper and Joey on the previous day and installation was straight forward. The Hopper required one unexpected reboot during installation.
No issues and working great. PTAT is a terrific feature.

Dumped DIRECTV as the receiver (HR21) performance is awful and no solutions that DIRECTV would make available without $$$ up front.

Dish HD picture quality is similar to DIRECTV. Maybe DIRECTV gets the edge on this one, the jury is still out for me?
Experienced some picture breakup on HMC, it only happens occasionally?

Happy to be with Dish as the receiver technology is superior to DIRECTV.

I too just came form Dish and to this point am very happy with Dish. Was with D* for 9 years and hated to leave but they would not budge on the full cost of the new HR34 (excellant box I might add). My 60 year old eyes can't see any difference in puicture quality on our 55" TV at all so far. I do like the PTAT feature as for our house and needs it works fine and we do not need any sports premiums or else would have stayed w/D*. Dish can not touch their sport options but we are in local for our teams and have no need. The Hopper is also very fast compared to what I came from (2 HR-20's and 1 HR22). So far their customer service has been excellant both on line with DIRT and on chat. I still have a learning curve to get thru but so far am happy. :jumpingja

#173 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I had a 722 in single mode, and a 622 running two TVs.
I'm adding a 4th, and want 4 HD TVs - so I instantly thought hopper.

I called to order 1 hopper and 2 joeys, and hoped to keep my 722. (That was my goof - I was on vacation and didn't take the time to read this forum.)

Salesperson said I had to do complete conversion, so I went with 1 Hopper and 3 Joeys. They explained all the limitations about only 3 tuners, and the 4th TV would have to shadow another TV. I expressed concerns, but since I couldn't keep the 722 - I gave in. Only to read the forum and see 2 Hopper / 2 joey was an option. I chatted with dish to change the order - just 4 hours before install, and they could change it. Installer showed up with 1 Hopper, 3 joey - although his computer said 2/2. He got in truck to get missing equipment. called 15 minutes later, a required switch was not in stock. Reschedule or go with 1 hopper - so I took the 1 hopper since my new TV installation is scheduled for this week.

My install took 10 hours (12:30 - 10:30 PM) - very painful. installer left my external hard drive and sling box disconnected. I was too tired to notice or test at 10:30PM.

Initial impressions:
1) On Guide 'skip FWD' now only goes ahead 3 hours instead of 24. We were so use this function - please change it back! We often go prime time from one day to next for setting timers.
2) Tried to use Weather channel APP 3 times - first hung system and required reboot. next two failed, but at least recovered.
3) moving 50+ timers from 722 to the hopper stinks. There has to be an easier way. I printed timers on web, and re-entered on hopper.
4) no plans to use Prime time. We don't often have more than one prime time timer on the major networks. And we worry about losing them after 8 days.
5) new interface is pretty, but my wife swears it is more clicks... time will tell.
6) New buttons on remote - 4 programmable - haven't tried, but like the idea.
7) Remote controls work! My 622 and 722 were not set up to extend the remote to the other room, so they always worked poorly. The remote just was not reliable talking to the base. I can't beleive I lived like that for years... This installer said the antenna should have been remoted into the 2nd TV room - I agree.
8) Installer put up a new HD dish and took down my eliptical dish. I also have a round dish - he said that was no longer needed. When I asked If I could take it down - he wasn't sure...so I left it up.
9) My 722 had OTA antenna - so basically i had 3 tuners in the family room. I don't know if the family is going to survive 3 tuners on 4 TVs... time will tell.

Edited by rpotts, 26 March 2012 - 07:55 PM.
Add 9

#174 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:20 PM

Initial impressions:
1) On Guide 'skip FWD' now only goes ahead 3 hours instead of 24. We were so use this function - please change it back! We often go prime time from one day to next for setting timers.

The Skip FWd jumps 3 Hours, but the FFWD will jump 24.

7) Remote controls work! My 622 and 722 were not set up to extend the remote to the other room, so they always worked poorly. The remote just was not reliable talking to the base. I can't beleive I lived like that for years... This installer said the antenna should have been remoted into the 2nd TV room - I agree.

I had the Antenna remoted to a second location on a 622 and it still was nowhere near as reliable as the Joeys.

#175 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,743 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

DISH is using the 922 interface that has the same weirdness ... 24 skip is on a different button. You might get used to it.

2) Tried to use Weather channel APP 3 times - first hung system and required reboot. next two failed, but at least recovered.

It worked better under S203 ... perhaps S205 will be better.

4) no plans to use Prime time. We don't often have more than one prime time timer on the major networks. And we worry about losing them after 8 days.

One can turn it off. I find it useful as I do have the occasional overlap and have seen shows I'd never have bothered setting a timer for in the "pick one" world of limited timers. Set the timers for your favorite shows regardless of if they are in PTA ... that way they will be saved with a link outside of the PTA folder and will continue to exist after 8 days.

6) New buttons on remote - 4 programmable - haven't tried, but like the idea.

They have purposes programmed into them. There are menus that are easier to navigate when one can press the green button to jump to a particular option.

9) My 722 had OTA antenna - so basically i had 3 tuners in the family room. I don't know if the family is going to survive 3 tuners on 4 TVs... time will tell.

It depends on what they want to watch. Two OTAs during prime time can be handled by the PTA tuner. OTA tuning will come. Hopefully it will be worth the wait.

#176 OFFLINE   tpbrady

tpbrady

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 04:18 PM

One thing we have noticed in Alaska and Hawaii is that Hoppers cannot be installed with the 129 satellite LNBF attached to the DPP switch. If it is attached, the Hopper will not progress past the software download step in the System Wizard. We only receive services on spot beams on the 129 satellite so the switch check software in the System Wizard cannot ID the 129 satellite. Based on what we see, installers having problems with software download should verify adequate signal on all satellites by manually interrupting the Hopper System Wizard during the 015 screen and verifying the switch check results. A missing satellite with an LNBF attached can result in software download loop.

#177 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Initial impressions:

The Skip FWd jumps 3 Hours, but the FFWD will jump 24.

I had the Antenna remoted to a second location on a 622 and it still was nowhere near as reliable as the Joeys.

THANKS! FFWD works great - It would have taken me a long time to figure that out. All is good now!

#178 OFFLINE   wuv_dish

wuv_dish

• Registered
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 01:07 PM

I contacted Dish the morning of the 15th and they couldnt get anyone out until the 29th. Soo sad it is taking so long. Tomorrow is the day. It sounds like many of you had better luck getting the upgrade done quickly. I guess one advantage is that they should know how to do the install by now.

#179 OFFLINE   ebaltz

ebaltz

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,432 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 03:16 PM

Installer arrived at about 11am (called 15 minutes prior to arrival). Spent the first about 2 hours moving my dish for better reception and rewiring to my house. Next began the Hopper setup, it has been "installing" the software updates for about 45 minutes thus far, so we are 3:15 in and in a holding pattern. So we'll see how long the rest takes and I'll post an update.

Update: Gone at 3:00pm so 4 hours total time.

Update: One tip, I had to transfer a new recording to my USB external drive for it to kind of activate and show all my previous recordings I transferred off of my 722. Now works fine.

Edited by ebaltz, 28 March 2012 - 04:54 PM.

Dish HD w/ 1 Hopper and 3 Joey, PS3, Sony HN1000 Receiver and Sony Bravia HX800 3D TV

#180 OFFLINE   rpotts

rpotts

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

Anyone know how?

I moved all my 722 files to an external hard drive, and I can see them on the hard drive which is now connected to the hopper.

I wanted to restore them on the hopper, but I can't figure it out.

Any ideas?

On the 722 I always found it easier to work with TV shows on the local box as compared to the external drive, so I'm assuming the same is true on the hopper.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...