Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper External Hard Drive

direct cinema ppv

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   txsrooster

txsrooster

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:33 PM

I purchased a new enclosure moved the hard drive to it, it still fails to recognize it. So I will race you to the fix.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#42 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

You will win! Short of buying new hard drives, I'm lost. My wife is anxious to get to her stuff on the one in the bedroom!

Scott

#43 OFFLINE   WynsWrld98

WynsWrld98

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Did u unplug for 30 seconds then come up? My install was today my EHD from 722 recognized with all programs show up on Hopper and Joey after I unplugged and booted up Hopper.

#44 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:50 PM

Yes. I unplugged and waited. I unplugged, waited, and swapped ports, too. Every permutation of this I could think of I've done. My wife is going to kill me for doing this and losing all her shows. I could care less about my stuff.

Scott

#45 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:57 PM

Sounds like your Hopper might be broke. My EHD works great. Did you look under My Hopper on the DVR screen? You should see External Drive 1.

#46 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Are the EHD's plug and play or do I need to completly power down the Hopper > connect and power up the EHD> power back up Hopper?

#47 OFFLINE   tommiet

tommiet

Godfather

• Registered
  • 332 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:35 PM

I can play back my recordings on my external hard drive now!!!!! No need to transfer to view.
**** HARDWARE *****
2 Dish Hoppers (Gave up trying to get a Joey to work)
VIZIO 55” and 48" TruLED LCD 3D HDTV with VIZIO
JVC HDI RX-D402B Receiver
2 SLINGBOX PRO'S

#48 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:40 PM

Sounds like your Hopper might be broke. My EHD works great. Did you look under My Hopper on the DVR screen? You should see External Drive 1.

Both Hoppers? The same way? Yep, I look there every time I change something.

Scott

#49 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:41 PM

I can play back my recordings on my external hard drive now!!!!! No need to transfer to view.

Told you you'd be fixed before me.

Edit... actually, I didn't tell you that. ;)

Scott

Edited by dunkonu23, 24 March 2012 - 10:00 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:07 PM

One drive is dead--it doesn't spin up, even when connected to the computer. The other drive is alive, spins up, and I get configuration information and show the partition table from my computer. On either Joey, that drive initializes (lights blink) during a reset of either Hopper, once the Hopper has finished starting, it doesn't see the drive. So, I guess I should call support again in the morning. Fun stuff. :)

Scott

#51 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:03 AM

If you can - try use same [working] drive in different enclosure or just USB-SATA adapter.

#52 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

As known, the h2k is based on 922, you should use up to four EHD, using USB hub.

Any update from users on the ability to connect more than 1 EHD to the h2k? Currently I have 3 EHDs connected via switch to USB port on 722. The 722 recognizes the EHD I have selected (can't select more than 1 at a time).

#53 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

If you can - try use same [working] drive in different enclosure or just USB-SATA adapter.

That's a good suggestion. I did just that last night as I have an enclosure and separate USB adapter. I first tried it on the drive that wouldn't spin: it's indeed dead. I did the same thing with the drive that spins and it is still recognized by Windows (can't read anything but the partition table). I'm gonna call support to see if there is something I'm missing and if not, I'm going to just buy a two terabit drive (user guide says it will work on a Hopper). It's funny, you do all you can to make sure everything is backed up, then boom! In an instant, it's all gone. At least it was just TV! (I did lose Michael Schumacher's last race for Ferrari, though... :()

Scott

#54 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

That's a good suggestion. I did just that last night as I have an enclosure and separate USB adapter. I first tried it on the drive that wouldn't spin: it's indeed dead.Scott

One thing you might try. I had a couple of old WD drives a number of years ago that wouldn't spin up. In all cases I was able to get them to start by holding them in my hand with power applied and giving them a quick twist back and forth.

Second. Some drives require more start up current than supplied by separate enclosures. I had one that way. I was able to find an enclosure that would work. It had four(4) leads from the power brick instead of the more common coax power connector.

Third. Have you called Dish to make sure that they have done a rehit to your system with your previous house code? (This for the drive that is spinning OK) A DIRT member should be able to help.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#55 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:45 AM

can i use an external hard drive that was previously used with a Vip 211 receiver?

#56 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 882 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:51 AM

can i use an external hard drive that was previously used with a Vip 211 receiver?

I would presume so. It will have to be reformatted to the Hopper. Format is different on the 211s as compared to the 611/711s which work without reformatting.

It would be nice if there was some way to recover the saved programs from a 211 EHD to a VIP/Hopper drive. Maybe someone will write and app to do this.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#57 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Brian,

I'm hanging on until at least 12-21-12, too. ;)

1 and 2. Yep. Tried that. The drives, believe it or not are IDE, I have an adapter for that, too. Separate power, too. I even thought the adapter might be USB 1, but it shows as 2 on the computer.

3. Software is S204 NACB 3/23/2012 7:34PM, last status update was 3/25 7:06AM. I'm calling them now because I've also got LNB drift on 129. I had to stay up to watch F1 this morning as it wouldn't record. 129 22 locks but gets no name on tuner 1.

Scott

#58 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

I called Dish support.

1. If the issue with the dropped signal comes back (it will), they want me to call to schedule a tech.

2. EHD not recognized is a known problem that they say will be fixed in the next software update sometime this week. They say some drives are recognized, some are not.

So... here I sit. :) I'm not upset. I realize this is on the bleeding edge so, what's happening now, will be fixed. :)

Scott

#59 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

Has anyone successfully connected more than one EHD to a h2k?

Can the joeys use the multiple EHDs?

#60 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:09 AM

Has anyone successfully connected more than one EHD to a h2k?

Can the joeys use the multiple EHDs?

Don't know about 2 EHDs, but the Joeys can see the EHD of whichever Hopper it's connected to in a 2 Hopper setup.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...