Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper External Hard Drive

direct cinema ppv

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#61 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 28 March 2012 - 09:13 AM

Has anyone successfully connected more than one EHD to a h2k?

Can the joeys use the multiple EHDs?

These are clients... only a server [h2k] support EHD connection.

Use a USB hub for connect up to four EHDs - his ancestor [922] can serve multiple EHD that way.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

If by Friday this compatibility between different hard drive types isn't resolved, I'm just going to go out and get two, two terabit drives and be done with it. As it stands now, everything BUT my EHD issue has been resolved so I'm happy with the installation. PTAT is the shiznit.

"ancestor"... that's funny, sir!

Scott

Edit: I'm probably going to introduce another issue today: a Sling adapter is arriving. This is fun stuff. I truly love the bleeding edge!

#63 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Give them a call - demand the EHD's hit !

#64 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

Is there any lag using a USB EHD? I was using eSATA with D* but really don't know if there is a difference with USB or not. Thanks.

#65 OFFLINE   Rsmith7226

Rsmith7226

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

So if I upgrade to a hopper will I be able to hook up a external hard drive to my 722 and copy all of my recorded shows and play them on the hopper?

#66 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 555 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:32 PM

Is there any lag using a USB EHD? ...

It was slow on the old 622/722 setup, but on the Hopper the EHD seems to operate about as fast and smoothly as the internal drive. The information is cached on the menu, so that you have immediate access.

#67 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:39 PM

It was slow on the old 622/722 setup, but on the Hopper the EHD seems to operate about as fast and smoothly as the internal drive. The information is cached on the menu, so that you have immediate access.

Great, thanks Pat! I will give it a try.....

#68 OFFLINE   domingos35

domingos35

Icon

• Registered
  • 536 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

So if I upgrade to a hopper will I be able to hook up a external hard drive to my 722 and copy all of my recorded shows and play them on the hopper?

u should be able to

#69 OFFLINE   dunkonu23

dunkonu23

Legend

• Registered
  • 185 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:01 PM

Give them a call - demand the EHD's hit !

Got it and no joy. At least the Sling Adapter is working with only minor workarounds on the iOS apps for iPhone and iPad. Seems it doesn't like changing channels but once. It's cool, just go to the guide and hit Live TV. The channel you want will play. Haven't tried DVR access, yet.

Scott

#70 OFFLINE   barken

barken

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 March 2012 - 04:50 PM

These are clients... only a server [h2k] support EHD connection.

Use a USB hub for connect up to four EHDs - his ancestor [922] can serve multiple EHD that way.

I should have been more clear. I understand the joey is a client. What I meant to ask was, can the joey see two EHDs connected to the h2k?

#71 OFFLINE   steff3

steff3

Legend

• Registered
  • 245 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:11 PM

Can't get my Hopper/Joey to see my EHD. TT dock w/ Western HDD. This worked fine on my old D* boxes. Even tried unplugging power from system, powering up EHD first then powering back up the Hopper...still nothing. Anyone having issues with these ext. docks from ThermalTake (Black X)?

#72 OFFLINE   vicki2365

vicki2365

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

I'm getting 2 Hoppers With 2 Joeys installed next week and i'm just wondering if i can continue using both external hard drives that i currently have on my 922 with the Hopper without losing my recordings

I have 2 external hard drives connected to my hopper one from a 922 and one from a 612 and they both kept all the shows on them and all work perfect. Now if I could just record something other than prime time because it says I reached my limit. It's a software problem.

#73 OFFLINE   vicki2365

vicki2365

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

I would presume so. It will have to be reformatted to the Hopper. Format is different on the 211s as compared to the 611/711s which work without reformatting.

It would be nice if there was some way to recover the saved programs from a 211 EHD to a VIP/Hopper drive. Maybe someone will write and app to do this.

No reformat external hard drives from former dish recievers do not reformat on the hopper. I connected 2 external HD on the back of my hopper and both kept all programming

#74 OFFLINE   vicki2365

vicki2365

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I'm getting 2 Hoppers With 2 Joeys installed next week and i'm just wondering if i can continue using both external hard drives that i currently have on my 922 with the Hopper without losing my recordings

Yes you can I already added to external Hard drives from my 922's to one hopper on the back connections and both kept their progams

#75 OFFLINE   vicki2365

vicki2365

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 12:49 PM

If you had an external on your 722 and all your shows are in the Ecternal you just plug it into the back of the hopper and everything is there.

#76 OFFLINE   turbo240z

turbo240z

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 11:04 AM

I had 2 722k and used 1 external drive to back up both DVR's. I now have 2 hoppers and was able to restore or watch the shows from the external drives on / to both hoppers.

I tried the esata port and they are not enabled. I get this feature is not active... something like that.

For the person with the question on what's the difference between esata and usb port. The esata run's the same speed as the internal sata drive so it's very fast. Also faster than USB 3.0 hard drive. I don't know if the Hoppers have a USB 3.0 ports?

#77 OFFLINE   tcatdbs

tcatdbs

Icon

• Registered
  • 571 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:36 PM

EXT HD question... do they function the same as on a 722, no ability at all to organize content. Sure would be nice to be able add/edit folders as you can on the internal drive.

#78 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 160 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:56 AM

By restore, do you mean copy from the EHD to the internal Hopper drive? If that is what u mean, how do you do it? I can play EHD content, but don't see how to move it yet.

I now have 2 hoppers and was able to restore or watch the shows from the external drives on / to both hoppers.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#79 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,058 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 08:45 AM

By restore, do you mean copy from the EHD to the internal Hopper drive? If that is what u mean, how do you do it? I can play EHD content, but don't see how to move it yet.

There is no restore per se. It's a MOVE. That mean you cannot have more them ONE instance of recording.
It's a move to EHD and it's move from EHD.

Edited by P Smith, 04 April 2012 - 10:33 AM.

#80 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• Registered
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:01 AM

I can play EHD content, but don't see how to move it yet.

That's because it's not on the DVR menu where the rest of EHD management is controlled. You have to go to the main menu, 2nd row, and look for something similar to Media Transfer.

This is a useability design flaw carried over from the 922.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

Protected By... spam firewall...And...