Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper External Hard Drive

direct cinema ppv

• Please log in to reply
147 replies to this topic

#121 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I'm glad to see that the Hopper can handle more than one EHD at a time, initial reports said no. I'm not glad to see that I might have the same issues that I have had with my 922 since day 1. Since the Hopper apparently was built on the same platform as the 922 I guess I shouldn't be too surprised.

Occasionally my 922 does not see the two WD EHD's I have connected. A front panel reboot usually fixes the problem but it's a hassle waiting. One of the drives has WD Smartware the 2nd doesn't so turning off the power save feature (spin down) doesn't seem like it would make any difference, at least in my situation.

I do have to say that it's much more stable now. Early on I would lose connection every 3-4 weeks. Now it's more like 3-4 months.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#122 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 09 May 2012 - 03:50 AM

I put my power meter on one of my drives. When it spins up it takes 12w or so, then settles into 6w. When actively reading, it goes to 8w or so. Then after a while is drops to 1w. In the 1w mode its not spinning, so the Hopper needs to wait for a spin up, but the Hopper continues to see the drive. After a few days the Hopper lost it again. When I checked the meter, it was in the 6w mode.

Very weird. I expected it to be zero and completely shut off. So the Hopper is probably sending some weird command. This is just a basic WD essentials drive. I have a few of them.

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#123 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:16 PM

The EHD plugs into the Hopper. Either the Hopper or the Joey can PLAY the EHD content.

Dumb question ... I finally connected my 622 EHD to my Hopper and I can see the content and transfer it to the Hopper hard drive - but ...

I don't see how to play it without transferring it to the Hopper drive.
Does this "Either the Hopper or the Joey can PLAY the EHD content" apply only to content that has been transferred to the Hopper?

#124 OFFLINE   chriscpmtmp

chriscpmtmp

Legend

• Registered
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 05:21 PM

Either the Hopper or Joey should play content from the EHD or the internal Hopper drive. The interface is the same to start playing either.

I did have the hopper corrupt some of my recording in the transfer. For those, after I hit play, I just get a blank screen. I think I did copies that were too big - like 6 hours straight.

Dumb question ... I finally connected my 622 EHD to my Hopper and I can see the content and transfer it to the Hopper hard drive - but ...

I don't see how to play it without transferring it to the Hopper drive.
Does this "Either the Hopper or the Joey can PLAY the EHD content" apply only to content that has been transferred to the Hopper?

Chris

61.5/72
Super Joey - main floor
Hopper w/ Sling - basement, bedroom, audio feed
video distributed over cat5
audio distributed over Russound

#125 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 06:42 PM

Either the Hopper or Joey should play content from the EHD or the internal Hopper drive. The interface is the same to start playing either.

On the 622 I had a "Media" folder that allowed me to see the content on the connected drive (kind of like the Prime Time Anytime folder under "My Recordings"). I don't see anything like that on the Hopper or Joey. :confused:

I can see the content under "recordings transfer" but can't see a way of watching it without transfer.

#126 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,737 posts

Posted 22 July 2012 - 08:17 PM

I can see the content under "recordings transfer" but can't see a way of watching it without transfer.

Ah ... there it is! The box at the top where I can see the content on the other Hopper. For some reason it was not showing the EHDs (and now it is).

#127 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,594 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

I assumed it would have something similar to the way the 922 does it... The 922 added a drop-down in the "My Recordings" area if you have an EHD connected so that you can select from the DVR internal drive and connected EHDs.

I haven't seen the Hopper/Joey interface to know if they implemented it the same way, but since they appear to have started with 922 code it would make sense.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#128 OFFLINE   OinkinOregon

OinkinOregon

AllStar

• Registered
  • 84 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:28 AM

I connected a 3 TB Seagate external drive to my Hopper and it formatted and shows available approximately 2.8 TB available. I do not think the limit is 2 TB. I think it will count whatever you connect to it. :D

#129 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 October 2012 - 08:46 AM

Time to try 4 TB drives ...

#130 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 09:35 AM

Actually, there is a problem - using TT BlacX dock, the 3 TB drive (Seagate) has been formatted as 2 TB as I checked the partition's tables (yes, there are many extensions) and what is a bummer: the drive doesn't recognizing by h2k after formatting and request format again after reconnecting.
Another moment of oops: after activity (formatting) came to the end, the window Att 869 does not went away by itself. Turn OFF/ON by remote cleared it.

Perhaps it's BlacX's USB-SATA controller limitation. I'll check with Seagate FreeAgent GoFlex Desk enclosure.
It's got right this time: free space is 2,793 GB.

Here is part's info:
all type EXT3 (no XFS)
P1: 1 GB
P2: 500 GB
P3: 500 GB
p4: 1.8 GB (extension)
-- P5: 500 GB
-- p6: 500 GB ? (extension)
---- P7: 500 GB
---- p8: 500 GB ? (extension)
------ P9: 500 GB
------ p10: 293 GB (extension)
-------- P11: 293 GB

Seems to me the coder is missed opportunity to create more then one partition in one extension and made it three times plus put wrong size into p6.

Also, I don't last partition by using the partition's data, only by manual calculation (!) - here is all partitions (one sector's size is 4 KB).

EDIT: For sure that coder made more bugs: he did improperly calculated offsets for second and third extensions while first was OK (that's why I missed third extension and another 500 GB).
It will be messy for ppl archiving more 1.5 TB of data if the coder will not get fixed his partition's creating routine.

Attached Thumbnails

• xip813_3TB_ehd_parts.JPG

Edited by P Smith, 02 October 2012 - 11:11 PM.

#131 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 02 October 2012 - 03:09 PM

It's time for install the 3 TB inside ...

#132 OFFLINE   tapinsharon@yahoo.com

tapinsharon@yahoo.com

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 11:57 AM

Hopper won't read data from EHD.
We have data on an EHD from 612 and 722. Hopper wants to reformat and so we would love everything. CSR recommended she send out a 211 to view recordings on. We agree to that, but when tech came out to install, the 211(K) also wanted to reformat. Told no solution. We have had tech out two times so far, one day tech was a no show. Three days wasted on this and now we are reverting back to the 612 and 722. Very disappointing.

#133 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:25 PM

See threads/posts how to make it work by backup/restore process of "DishArc' folders. Search here for it.

#134 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 12:43 PM

We have data on an EHD from 612 and 722. Hopper wants to reformat and so we would love everything. CSR recommended she send out a 211 to view recordings on. We agree to that, but when tech came out to install, the 211(K) also wanted to reformat. Told no solution. We have had tech out two times so far, one day tech was a no show. Three days wasted on this and now we are reverting back to the 612 and 722. Very disappointing.

An EHD formated for any HD dvr will not work on the 211 and should never have been suggested. I'm surprised the tech didn't know that, the csr should have as well.

#135 OFFLINE   JeffN9

JeffN9

Legend

• Registered
  • 178 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 01:39 PM

There have been other posts about this issue. I believe the remedy is to have a CSR send a "re-hit" to your Hopper to enable the EHD function.

#136 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 29 October 2012 - 02:47 PM

The re-hit will not help, you have only one option: backup/restore disharc folder(s) - see here

Edited by P Smith, 17 March 2013 - 02:56 PM.

#137 OFFLINE   slightwv

slightwv

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 12:18 PM

FYI: The 722 EHD format is not recognized in the Hopper with Sling.

Just had one installed and there is currently no way to access the programs. This was confirmed by three different support folks.

Best that I was told is they are working on a fix but there is no information on the release date.

After another call to support, the next person couldn't even find any information on the 'fix' so I suspect I was having smoke blown somewhere personal.

#138 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 02:54 PM

you did ...

the format is the SAME

the FW bug well known from beginning a deployment of H , if you searching and reading the forum (at least post#136)

#139 OFFLINE   slightwv

slightwv

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 05:04 PM

So the only fix is the bootable Linux as described in: Summary of repair?

#140 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,846 posts

Posted 17 March 2013 - 08:14 PM

if you want your recording badly:
- get another EHD formatted by your new H2
- run Linux with two EHDs, old and new
- copy DishArc folders from old to new
- remember each EHD with size > 0.5 TB divided for partitions of 0.5 TB and rest of the drive's space in last partition

Protected By... spam firewall...And...