Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

4k Receivers?

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

My Onkyo A/V receiver has died, and I need to replace it. Now kinda seems like a bad time to get a new receiver though, with 4k resolution on the horizon. I'm wondering if there are any receivers out there that are capable of dealing with a 4k resolution though? Much rather purchase one of these and be future proof (For awhile, of course lol).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

http://www.superfi.c...-upscaling.aspx
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004V8KWQO

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#3 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:06 PM

http://www.superfi.c...-upscaling.aspx
http://www.amazon.co...r/dp/B004V8KWQO

I don't want it to just upconvert, I want it to actually be able to process and output a 4k signal.

#4 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:14 PM

I don't want it to just upconvert, I want it to actually be able to process and output a 4k signal.

Probably need to wait until they come out with a 4K monitor, and release specs, but HDMI switching is switching. If 4K is so great, it shouldnt need any processing, nor would I want to introduce anything of the sort in my path...

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#5 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

I guess processing was the wrong word. I want it to accept a native 4k signal and pass it unmolested to my 4k display (But also be able to downconvert to 1080p until I upgrade to a 4k Tv).

#6 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:19 PM

I guess processing was the wrong word. I want it to accept a native 4k signal and pass it unmolested to my 4k display (But also be able to downconvert to 1080p until I upgrade to a 4k Tv).

I would submit, that given the past, the receiver/satellite box/cable box will be the one responsible for downconverting, and you should not need any external device to do any more than switching. I dont see DirecTv coming out with a receiver that outputs 4K with no way to output it at 1080 as well. It just doesnt play into their previous record on new equipment. Every box to date, has had backwards compatability at LEAST one step backwards, and usually two steps backwards.

#7 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:21 PM

I know, but I wouldn't want to get an A/V receiver that could ONLY output a 4k signal. Just let me select (My Tv supports x, y, and z). Then when I finally upgrade to a 4k Tv, I don't have to do out and buy ANOTHER A/V receiver for 4k resolution.

#8 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

Then just make sure you get one that has pass-through switching.
Im not up on the specs for HDMI 1.4a, but if it can handle that resolution/bitrate, then you should be ok. Now if they are going to have to come out with a new HDMI spec for it, then nothing today will work.

#9 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,026 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

Are you really purchasing electronics based on what "might" be an affordable technology in 4-5 years?
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#10 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

Might read up on this: http://reviews.cnet....tion-explained/

Current prices of the few available ones are in the $50K to $300K range :)

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

I wouldn't say it wise idea to buy 4k AV box for future deployment. Absolutely immature idea.
You should slip on it a couple years before shell your money.

#12 OFFLINE   spartanstew

spartanstew

Dry as a bone

• Registered
  • 12,442 posts
  • LocationWylie, Texas

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:48 PM

HDMI 1.4 supports 4K

I'm sure Directv can't wait to get their hands on your unit.

Directv customer since 2000

#13 OFFLINE   hdtvfan0001

hdtvfan0001

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 31,819 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:03 AM

I wouldn't say it wise idea to buy 4k AV box for future deployment. Absolutely immature idea.
You should slip on it a couple years before shell your money.

4k content in any quantity and delivery of it....is probably 3+ years away. Many of us learned that first hand at CES 2012, as confirmed by at least 5 different manufacturers there.

So I'd agree it's premature to invest in hardware at this point.
DBSTalk CHAT ROOM MODERATOR
DirecTV Customer Since 1996

#14 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:07 AM

4k content in any quantity and delivery of it....is probably 3+ years away. Many of us learned that first hand at CES 2012, as confirmed by at least 5 different manufacturers there.

So I'd agree it's premature to invest in hardware at this point.

Or even actually worry about buying something today, because it will probably be time for a new one by the time 4k is a reality for us to actually be getting it from broadcasters.

Heck there arent even that many 4k theaters in the country yet. When in Chicago I go to one called movieco...the PQ is fantastic.

#15 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:09 AM

The way everybody's been talking, I thought hardware might actually be out soon this year (And maybe already out). I realize there isn't any content there yet (Well, that we can get our hands on).
So just look for HDMI 1.4 ports and be done? Any differences between 1.4, 1.4a, and 1.4b?

#16 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:16 AM

Who knows, you may actually need to replace the new A/V receiver before 4K is affordable.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#17 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:21 AM

Who knows, you may actually need to replace the new A/V receiver before 4K is affordable.

True. This one only lasted 2 years. Like to get more time out of the new one though!
Is there anything big looming on the horizon, tech wise, in say the next month or 2 that would be worth waiting for?

#18 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,149 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

True. This one only lasted 2 years. Like to get more time out of the new one though!
Is there anything big looming on the horizon, tech wise, in say the next month or 2 that would be worth waiting for?

What model Onkyo did you have? Maybe take it and get it repaired.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#19 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,942 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 06:28 AM

What model Onkyo did you have? Maybe take it and get it repaired.

It's the Onkyo TX-NR5007. It's already been repaired 3 times under warranty for the SAME problem, and now it's happened a 4th time. They said it's gonna be close to $500 to get it fixed. They said it's a known hardware issue, so it will probably keep happening.

#20 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

It's the Onkyo TX-NR5007. It's already been repaired 3 times under warranty for the SAME problem, and now it's happened a 4th time. They said it's gonna be close to $500 to get it fixed. They said it's a known hardware issue, so it will probably keep happening.

No more Onkyo for you I hope.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...