Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Sling "Fiasco"

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:44 PM

After fiasco with embedded Sling (model 922), new boxes require external one like 722/722k.

Not sure what "fiasco" you are talking about. The 922 has its problems... but from my reading of the forums I saw as many (or more) people having problems using the Sling adapter with their 722 receivers as I did people with 922.

I grant you that having the Sling as an external module makes it easier to replace if there are problems, though... but I don't remember the "fiasco" of which you refer.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 15 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

You should follow too, not just sit in a past- new flagman ship [813] is sling-less box.
Isn't a fact of abandoning that idea to integrate Sling ? Perhaps you didn't evaluate my words closely .. well here is again:"After fiasco with embedded Sling (model 922)"

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 15 March 2012 - 08:08 PM

Perhaps you didn't evaluate my words closely .. well here is again:"After fiasco with embedded Sling (model 922)"

I repeat again... What fiasco?

The 922 has its problems... but I'm not aware of the 922 embedded sling being any more problematic than the Sling adapter. In fact, I'm pretty sure we have more threads on this site with people unable to use the Sling adapter than we have 922 users... but that's because there are less 922 users.

The point is... what fiasco with embedded sling? The Sling adapter seems to me to have had more than its fair share of problems with only the traditional Slingbox being recommended by most as the most consistently reliable way to Sling.

#4 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:03 PM

You got me kidding... "new flagman ship [813] is sling-less box" - can you deduct something from the fact ? Adding to that - do you know what base is used for it ? No ?
OK - 922. So, where is the embedded Sling from his "parent" ? Ah, been cut ! Why ? Because of perfect work inside of 922 ? Nope. Because, it was fiasco.

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:26 PM

You got me kidding... "new flagman ship [813] is sling-less box" - can you deduct something from the fact ?

About as much as we can deduct from the 813 being a OTA tuner-less box. The lack of a built in (or any at this point) OTA tuner does not make the prior built in and add-in modules a fiasco.

DISH made a choice to use an external sling adapter. Now they can charge $$$ for adding sling instead of giving it away as part of the Hopper. Perhaps the research that went into deciding that OTA was not being used also showed that Sling capability was being used to a level worth building it into every box, at additional cost.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:32 PM

I know for sure, a cost of embedded Sling is much lower then external. Not percents but times.

Doesn't matter how we dissect, but the fact is embedded Sling will not be back anymore.

#7 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

I know for sure, a cost of embedded Sling is much lower then external. Not percents but times.

Ok, just for fun, lets say embedded Sling is three times cheaper than external. But, just for fun, lets say only one in ten users will ever use it. The overall cost goes up paying to put unused hardware in machines. (Not that DISH has not done that before, such as the Ethernet port on ViP 211's. And perhaps the same port on Joey's will not find a use before Hopper / Joey is replaced by the next "best thing" in three years or so.)

Doesn't matter how we dissect, but the fact is embedded Sling will not be back anymore.

Life changes. The concept of a Sling Enabled DVR transmitting content to small Sling Catchers and Sling enabled monitors has been replaced by Hopper / Joey. Better technology? I hope so.

The market for Sling still exists for other portable devices. Having a USB device that integrates into the receiver is a good way to offer it.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

So, why you don't accept the plain fact - "no more embedded sling = fiasco of it" ?

#9 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

BCM7425
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#10 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:27 AM

So, why you don't accept the plain fact - "no more embedded sling = fiasco of it" ?

Because there is no evidence of any such "fact" of a fiasco... period. I've asked you to please show me where you see evidence of a fiasco, and you haven't... so please let's drop this as it is off-topic for this thread anyway.

#11 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 09:57 AM

BCM7425

Nay, you mistaken by the combined press release - it's http://www.slingmedi...s-01-09-12.html
not Broadcom, what is a vendor of CPU/decoder's chip for echo and dish.

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Because there is no evidence of any such "fact" of a fiasco... period. I've asked you to please show me where you see evidence of a fiasco, and you haven't... so please let's drop this as it is off-topic for this thread anyway.

That was you decision to pick me and raise it the off-topic.
I would say last time, to close it - future will tell you.

#13 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 04:07 PM

fact
1. something that actually exists; reality; truth: Your fears have no basis in fact.
2. something known to exist or to have happened: Space travel is now a fact.
3. a truth known by actual experience or observation; something known to be true: Scientists gather facts about plant growth.
4. something said to be true or supposed to have happened: The facts given by the witness are highly questionable.

opinion
1. a belief or judgment that rests on grounds insufficient to produce complete certainty.
2. a personal view, attitude, or appraisal.
3. the formal expression of a professional judgment: to ask for a second medical opinion.
4. Law . the formal statement by a judge or court of the reasoning and the principles of law used in reaching a decision of a case.
5. a judgment or estimate of a person or thing with respect to character, merit, etc.: to forfeit someone's good opinion.

I'll take "opinion" definition #3, to be nice. There is not enough agreement to call the opinion that imbedded Sling is "a complete and ignominious failure" "fact".

(With assistance from http://dictionary.reference.com/ )

#14 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

We already did stop the sidetrack/off-topic discussion and switched to PM.

So, no more points will be posted here.

#15 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 12:19 PM

@n-spring what is the Sling adapter for? The CSR told me when I ordered the morning the Hopper doesn't sling.

So you'll need the adapter if you want use it with h2k. Right ? :)

After fiasco with embedded Sling (model 922), new boxes require external one like 722/722k.

#16 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,588 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

No problem ... it is on topic in this thread.

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,761 posts

Posted 16 March 2012 - 05:25 PM

Oh oh ...

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,532 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 16 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

To be fair... someone just posted in the 722 support forum having problems with the Sling adapter :)

I can't remember the last time someone posted in the 922 forum with a Sling problem :)

#19 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

My 922 was problamatic from day one!....At one point it did nothing, as for why I bought it(slinging). After 4 months a dozen phone calls and dozens of PMs with Dirt members it slowly got strightend out on Dishes end....I used a Hava player and a Vulcano...It was there end 100% and after a few months it was finaly admitted to me!

Im happy to say it is finaly stable for the last 2 months, it still stumbles from time to time but much better.

I do not live were my setup is, so need someone to go to my home to reset/unplug it for me, I found it unbelievable they didnt build in some sort of total reset?

The idea is watching TV when away from home, wasnt it?
$200 bucks and $4 a month for more, still bogels the mind....and still no BBMP or whatever the name is this month....sure makes you feel all fuzzy inside paying for more and getting less!

#20 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 07:57 AM

My 922 was problamatic from day one!....At one point it did nothing, as for why I bought it(slinging). After 4 months a dozen phone calls and dozens of PMs with Dirt members it slowly got strightend out on Dishes end....I used a Hava player and a Vulcano...It was there end 100% and after a few months it was finaly admitted to me!

Im happy to say it is finaly stable for the last 2 months, it still stumbles from time to time but much better.

I do not live were my setup is, so need someone to go to my home to reset/unplug it for me, I found it unbelievable they didnt build in some sort of total reset?

The idea is watching TV when away from home, wasnt it?
$200 bucks and $4 a month for more, still bogels the mind....and still no BBMP or whatever the name is this month....sure makes you feel all fuzzy inside paying for more and getting less!

Well I feel I am getting more so much so I bought my VIP922/wMT2.I believe in My Account in Dish Online there is a reboot receiver off to the right? you can click on.;)

spam firewall