Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Sling "Fiasco"

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   356B

356B

Icon

• Registered
  • 895 posts
  • LocationNorthern California

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

I think those of us with the 922 and using the Sling got accustomed to dealing with the Sling. It is and has been buggy from the beginning, not nearly as buggy now, but for me it still has occasional issues. Drops, freezes, failure to connect, control issues, changing channels.
I soon will be moving to Hopper and have invested in the Sling Adapter, hopefully it works better. I imagine Sling will continue to expand and improve, internet TV seems to be the fact of the future.
In regard to the "Fiasco"? there was a period when Sling was totally unusable for many with the 922, the frustration was voiced here and elsewhere for several months, obviously Dish solved the major programs and moved on....
Thank you and
Best of luck

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:53 AM

In regard to the "Fiasco"? there was a period when Sling was totally unusable for many with the 922, the frustration was voiced here and elsewhere for several months, obviously Dish solved the major programs and moved on....

Agreed. That's how I remember it. A couple of rounds of major issues that have mostly been solved.

What I don't remember is anyone having a 922 with a hardware Sling failure, and especially not in large numbers to be considered a fiasco. I do, however, have lots of evidence on this very site of people with problems using the Sling adapter on 722 receivers.

So... I can't conclude that the embedded Sling resulted in a failure. Sling may have some problems, but those sure seem to be common to the embedded Sling and the Sling adapter... and not unique to the 922.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#23 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

What fact I'm based my conclusion ?

It is no future implementation of HW embedded Sling.
First new best of the best DVR [XiP813] come without it and remember - 813 based on 922.
Adding to that 922 is a DVR what is no more allowed to add to your account ...

For me it is dead end of the feature, ie fiasco.

#24 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Well I feel I am getting more so much so I bought my VIP922/wMT2.I believe in My Account in Dish Online there is a reboot receiver off to the right? you can click on.;)

That is incorrect.....you MUST unplug it to trully reset your box to reboot...and how you can be happy paying $4 more for what? Guess Im harder to please for when I had mine installed it was there "top of the line" stb at the time.

#25 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:59 PM

For me it is dead end of the feature, ie fiasco.

If embedding were the problem I might agree. But it isn't.

DISH had problems with ALL of their Sling Adapters. Those problems, including the problems with the 922, have been fixed. The feature, Sling, is not dead and is supported on Day 1 of the latest receiver release.

#26 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

I'm not stated of future of Sling. That's you incorrect assingmnet to me.

I did state and continue insist - embedded Sling (perhaps whole 922) is dead.

#27 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

I did state and continue insist - embedded Sling (perhaps whole 922) is dead.

Yet embedded Sling was not a "fiasco". Neither was embedded OTA reception.

#28 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:49 PM

I'm not discussing OTA and it's MODULAR [MT-2] solution for 922.
You just lost 2 counts from your score.
If Stuart did decide make the discussion as dedicated thread, then don't drug us off-topic. Please.

Adding to clarification and avoid semantics trap:

fi·as·co
   [fee-as-koh or, especially for 2, -ah-skoh] Show IPA
noun, plural -cos, -coes.
1.a complete and ignominious failure.
2.a round-bottomed glass flask for wine, especially Chianti, fitted with a woven, protective raffia basket that also enables the bottle to stand upright.
Origin:
1850–55; < Italian: literally, bottle < Germanic ( see flask1 ); sense “failure” from Italian phrase far fiasco to fail, literally, to make a bottle, idiom of uncertain origin

Synonyms
1. disaster, catastrophe, debacle, flop, bomb.
------------------------------------------------
debacle
[dey-bah-kuhl, -bak-uhl, duh-]   Example Sentences Origin
de·ba·cle
   [dey-bah-kuhl, -bak-uhl, duh-] Show IPA
noun
1.a general breakup or dispersion; sudden downfall or rout: The revolution ended in a debacle.
2.a complete collapse or failure.
3.a breaking up of ice in a river. Compare embacle.
4.a violent rush of waters or ice.
Origin:
1795–1805; < French débâcle, derivative of débâcler to unbar, clear, equivalent to dé- dis-1 + bâcler to bar ≪ Latin baculum stick, rod

Synonyms
2. disaster, ruin, fiasco, catastrophe, calamity.

Edited by P Smith, 17 March 2012 - 03:07 PM.

#29 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

The point is that the decision not to make the next receiver with an embedded sling does not make the use of an embedded sling in the last receiver a "fiasco". If we were to follow your theory that not putting embedded sling in the 813 makes the embedding a fiasco then we would have to accept that not putting embedded OTA in the recent receivers makes prior use of OTA a fiasco. Or any other apparently discontinued practice.

Not doing something twice in a row does not mean that what you did was "a complete and ignominious failure". Embedding sling was not "a complete and ignominious failure".

#30 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

How much you want to bet: the feature [embedded Sling] will not appear again in dish boxes ?

And remember - the feature was widely advertized when 922 came as new era of DVRs.

Now: no more 922, no more embedded Slings.
Pure fiasco for me.

#31 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:19 PM

For you. For the other 99.999% of people, not. Let's move on.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#32 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:21 PM

Gad to see you represent 99.999% of population here. :D

#33 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 05:28 PM

Ok... so then the embedded DVR must also be a fiasco.

Joeys don't have hard drives... only the Hoppers do... so clearly Dish has decided to never again put hard drives at each viewing location... thus, using P Smith's logic, DVRs are a fiasco.

As James already noted, apparently OTA is also a fiasco... since not only does the Hopper not have support for OTA embedded like previous receivers there isn't even any announced support for an external OTA add-on! So, OTA is also a fiasco.

What else?

Apparently anything not in the current receiver that was in a previous receiver means it was discontinued because of a fiasco, right?

I don't buy that. Dish just made a decision to not use embedded Sling in the Hopper. Could be any reason for doing so... but it doesn't mean the previous product was a "fiasco".

That same logic should also mean the standard Slingbox is also a fiasco, since Dish is supporting the Sling adapter rather than the Slingbox.

Oh, and since you have to go through Dish Online (or the mobile app) and can't use the SlingPlayer software on your PC or Mac, that must mean the SlingPlayer software was also a fiasco.

:rolleyes:

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

We could go on positive side - (since you are both with hard persistent drugging out the subject) I'd like to hear from you a couple examples of fiasco (technical, close as possible to DVR).

Oh, forgot to mention - how many users used embedded Sling in 922 ? It would be beneficial (support argumentation) to show year by year to see a trend. I'm predict significant slop there.

#35 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:30 PM

The best example of "a complete and ignominious failure" I know is New Coke. The company took an established well loved product and told everyone that it wasn't good enough and they could do better. It failed enough that "Classic Coke" had to be introduced - which was never as good as "the real thing".

It takes work to create "a complete and ignominious failure". Not every "bad idea" rises to that level.

In DISH terms, one change I might consider a "fiasco" would be the package name changes a few years ago. For years DISH has had "America's Top" channel packages. Then they decided to borrow the names from their HD packages and introduce "Classic Bronze", "Classic Silver" and "Classic Gold". A year later and they went back to "AT" packages. The "metal" (or "medal" during Olympic years) package names didn't go over too well either. They seem to be better understood with a common name and numbers attached.

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 09:19 PM

If we could stay at technical things, like DVR, HD-DVD, etc .. What could be pointed as fiasco ?

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,757 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:36 PM

If we could stay at technical things, like DVR, HD-DVD, etc .. What could be pointed as fiasco ?

Certainly not DISH embedding Sling technology.

#38 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:18 PM

There are only three of us: two Mods against one member. Not counting one usurpator. :P

Perhaps you could add a poll to the thread as a Mod ?

#39 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:56 PM

I'm not sure why we have to prove it isn't a fiasco. Where is your proof that it was a fiasco?

I haven't seen you post anything that proves it was a fiasco. All you have done is state the obvious that Dish decided to not embed Sling in the Hopper. There are no facts you have posted that prove this decision was based on any failure of the embedded Sling or anything resembling a fiasco.

#40 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,857 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:20 AM

Because it didn't work well in 922 and lost its value; because new model [813] (based on 922 platform) did drop it off; because no more 922.

Ask your sources in the company about using TI chip "DaVinci" in a future product.

Edited by P Smith, 18 March 2012 - 12:27 AM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...