Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

922 Sling "Fiasco"

• Please log in to reply
67 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   AZ.

AZ.

Legend

• Registered
  • 139 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:04 AM

Because it didn't work well in 922 and lost its value; because new model [813] (based on 922 platform) did drop it off; because no more 922.

Ask your sources in the company about using TI chip "DaVinci" in a future product.

agreed...if the 922 was any good it wouldnt be discontinued! hello, you can still order a 722 ..... Id call the 922 more like a piece of **** !

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 12:24 PM

Because it didn't work well in 922 and lost its value; because new model [813] (based on 922 platform) did drop it off; because no more 922.

Ask your sources in the company about using TI chip "DaVinci" in a future product.

Sorry, all you are posting is opinion. Where is your factual evidence? You ask for proof, but fail to provide any yourself. I think we are at an end of the topic if you can't provide concrete factual proof of your claim.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#43 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,988 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Embedded Sling [DaVinci]:
Didn't work well for 922 - fact.
813 doesn't have the Sling chip - fact.
No more 922 deploying - fact.

It's become funny, you're asking for facts when you have them already.

#44 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

I did ask for add a poll to the thread - is any obstacles to do that ? Mods ?

#45 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:15 PM

I did ask for add a poll to the thread - is any obstacles to do that ? Mods ?

A poll would serve no purpose. People are free to express their opinion in essay form.
If anyone wishes to question this moderation decision, please send a PM.

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 03:43 PM

Embedded Sling [DaVinci]:
Didn't work well for 922 - fact.
813 doesn't have the Sling chip - fact.
No more 922 deploying - fact.

The problem is with your conclusion:
"After fiasco with embedded Sling (model 922) ..."
You concluded that embedded Sling was "a complete and ignominious failure" (which is the meaning of the word fiasco). We disagree.

Embedded Sling is now working on 922s. There is no reason to assume that the DaVinci chip would not work in the next receiver DISH designed, especially one based on the 922. DISH worked out the bugs with embedded Sling on the 922.

DISH also had problems with Sling on the lesser receivers. It seems odd to focus on problems one receiver had with Sling without acknowledging other receivers also had problems. I see the problems as Sling related, not embedded Sling related. There was nothing more wrong with embedded Sling than USB Sling.

It was a business decision not to spend the money needed to put embedded Sling in the 813. Sling is easily available via the USB adapter ... just plug in and go. Many customers upgrading to Hoppers already have these USB devices - just plug in and go at no extra cost.

It was also a business decision to stop deploying the 922 ... and quite frankly, after seeing the whole home Hopper in action I don't see why anyone would choose a 922 over a 813. Perhaps if someone never intended to share their content a 922 would be better, but with the third satellite tuner I'd still choose a Hopper.

So, in summary, is Sling itself "a complete and ignominious failure"? No. Sling is still offered. Is the 922 receiver "a complete and ignominious failure"? Perhaps, but DISH basing the 813 off of the 922 shows that there was some good in the design. So any failure would be far from "complete and ignominious." Does embedding Sling in a 922 somehow combine to create "a complete and ignominious failure"? I think not.

#47 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 04:56 PM

Am I upset that I paid $199 to beta test the 922? Yeah, a bit. But the interface is head and shoulders above the 722. The Sling was icing.

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#48 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Here's an SAT analogy for you... (Scholastic Aptitude Test, not satellite)

James:Point::Hammer:Nail

:)

#49 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:29 PM

We could take a couple examples with other dish fiascoes (to close to the theme - Coca-Cola does not fit here):
- FireWire in 921
- E*IDE connector (60 pin) on 501/508/510/721/921, suppose to be EHD.

Same metric as embedded Sling.

So, in summary, is Sling itself "a complete and ignominious failure"? No. Sling is still offered. Is the 922 receiver "a complete and ignominious failure"? Perhaps, but DISH basing the 813 off of the 922 shows that there was some good in the design. So any failure would be far from "complete and ignominious." Does embedding Sling in a 922 somehow combine to create "a complete and ignominious failure"? I think not.

Why you always omitting the key word - "EMBEDDED" ? :shrug:

Anyway, I think it does. Best proof of it - no more DVR with it.

Edited by P Smith, 18 March 2012 - 08:38 PM.

#50 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Am I upset that I paid $199 to beta test the 922? Yeah, a bit. But the interface is head and shoulders above the 722. The Sling was icing.

Agree; two things I'm not that happy about are paying $200 for the 922, when I was already subscribed to the top sub package, under no contract at the time. Another similar thing is the fact I had to pay $40 (or something) to enable using an EHD, which they again made free a short time later.

Dish is getting ~$160 from me each month, and they want me to pay these extra fees? :mad:

I like Dish, but the way they are making us early adopters, who HELP them develop their products, pay out the nose for stuff leaves a very bitter taste in my mouth.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#51 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 11:32 PM

Why you always omitting the key word - "EMBEDDED" ? :shrug:

I don't. Do the math.
Does embedding Sling in a 922 somehow combine to create "a complete and ignominious failure"? I still think not.

If Sling isn't "a complete and ignominious failure" and the 922 isn't "a complete and ignominious failure", how can combining them be "a complete and ignominious failure"?

- FireWire in 921
- E*IDE connector (60 pin) on 501/508/510/721/921, suppose to be EHD.

You have an odd idea of what is "a complete and ignominious failure". :rolleyes:

#52 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:41 AM

Joeys don't have component or S-video output. Is this because of the component and S-video output fiascos of previous receivers?

Didn't I read that EHDs must connect to the Hopper and not the Joey? Does that mean that lack of support of EHD for a Joey is because of a fiasco?

#53 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 40,111 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:51 AM

Joeys don't have component or S-video output. Is this because of the component and S-video output fiascos of previous receivers?

No. It makes the Joey a fiasco at release. :lol:

I can understand why HD would be limited to HDMI where HDCP can be enforced to prevent copying. And the space needed for three more RCA jacks for component may have required a little taller case on the Joey or chipset changes that were too costly. Bottom line ... it is either HDMI or SD.

#54 OFFLINE   MCHuf

MCHuf

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:25 AM

Didn't I read that EHDs must connect to the Hopper and not the Joey? Does that mean that lack of support of EHD for a Joey is because of a fiasco?

Component and S-video outputs are disappearing because the hardware manufacturers caved in to the content providers and eliminated the best analog outputs. While the Joey is strictly a client box, no hdd needed. Don't be mucking up the issue about the 922. :nono2:

Lets look at the facts.
1) The 922 still doesn't have BB@Home (which Dish is using as an advertising point for new accounts).
2) The 922 is not available from Dish as either an upgrade to existing accounts or as an option for new accounts.
3) The Hopper, which is based on the 922, doesn't have Sling embedded like the 922.

While the 922 might not have been a fiasco, the signs point to it not being successful. The 922 supporters keep asking about proof that the 922 was a fiasco. Why don't you show us the proof that the 922 has a future? :rolleyes:

#55 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

The guy out doing my Hopper install this morning said he's installed ONE 922 in the past year (or more)... Looks like most people were still going with lesser DVR's, and not willing to pay extra for the upgrade. If that's a common number, no wonder why it's being replaced basically.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#56 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:46 AM

While the 922 might not have been a fiasco, the signs point to it not being successful. The 922 supporters keep asking about proof that the 922 was a fiasco. Why don't you show us the proof that the 922 has a future? :rolleyes:

Sorry, but you're hopping on the wrong train.

I never said the 922 was a successful endeavor. It had enough problems and lack of support from Dish that probably has it on its last legs.

But... P Smith has asserted that embedded Sling on the 922 was a fiasco. I've asked him to prove his assertion. He fails to do that.

I don't need to prove the 922 has a future, as you ask, because I never said it did. I think it is clear the Hopper/Joey is intended to replace all of Dish receivers going forward until they come up with something better perhaps in a few years... so they may start backing away from things like the 922.

But that doesn't make the 922 or embedded Sling a fiasco. I've seen no proof of that.

#57 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

I did proof, but it cannot take its way into your brain :D.

#58 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:10 PM

In a way, "Sling" technology period is a fail. Why? Almost all phone carriers now have data limits, and with that you pretty much can't use it at all unless on wifi. Watching live video will push you over a 2GB limit very fast.

When my data became limited, I pretty much stopped using Sling on my phone, which was 75% of when I used it.

I wouldn't consider that a fault of the technology, just my take on why the technology itself doesn't seem to be catching on.

#59 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,795 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:25 PM

I did proof, but it cannot take its way into your brain :D.

Nothing you have posted is evidence of a fiasco. You obviously have formed your own opinion... but have no proof of why Dish decided to not include embedded Sling in the Hopper/Joey. You also have provided no proof that they might not bring back embedded Sling in a future product, nor have you provided proof that any kind of "fiasco" resulted in the decision.

All you've done is post opinion based on really nothing except that the 922 had embedded Sling and not the XiP series does not. There could be any number of reasons for this that do not equate to a "fiasco" and while you have demanded others prove their points with links to Web sites and other forms of proof, you have offered no tangible proof of your "fiasco" belief.

#60 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19,988 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

I see it as you can't make it opposite.
Your opinion based on pretty much extensive wording: no technical background, no internal functionality knowledge ...

Protected By... spam firewall...And...