Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Using Sling While Recording?

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   rstark18

rstark18

AllStar

• Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 12:50 AM

Just upgraded from a 722 to a Hopper today. My nightly routine is to watch some recorded show via sling on my iPad while in the kitchen. With the Hopper I couldn't get the sling to play any recorded shows (I had a few). Never had much problem with the 722. I contacted 2nd level chat support. The guy (Thomas (ID: [***])) insisted that if I am recording anything then the sling cannot access recorded shows. He said that all sling enabled DVRs work this way. I told him I've had two 722's that worked fine watching a recorded show while recording another (as long as 1 tuner was free). He said they were not working correctly.
What's going on here? I cant imagine not being able to use the sling adapter if a tuner is recording something. That would make my sling completely useless for me because I record a lot of shows in the evening (even more now with PrimeTimeAnytime) which is also the time I need the sling.

Edited by James Long, 17 March 2012 - 01:01 AM.
ID redacted as personal information

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 01:02 AM

That would be a bad limit. Anyone else with a Hopper+Sling care to try this and see if their system works the same way?

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,691 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 10:56 AM

That sounds like a bad thing... I know my 922 doesn't have any problems Slinging and recording at the same time.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   rstark18

rstark18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:35 PM

I think I see the limitation. The Sling wants to always use tuner 2 (of the 3). So even if the other tuners are free but tuner 2 is recording, the Sling won't work. It doesn't look like the Hopper has any way to manage how the tuners record. I'm not sure how to resolve this.

#5 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 17 March 2012 - 02:41 PM

I think I see the limitation. The Sling wants to always use tuner 2 (of the 3). So even if the other tuners are free but tuner 2 is recording, the Sling won't work. It doesn't look like the Hopper has any way to manage how the tuners record. I'm not sure how to resolve this.

Perhaps 922 built that way ? Never pay attention what tuner# using by Sling, but looks logical if it attached to tuner2 for 922.

#6 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:31 PM

I would think the Sling adapter should be seen as just another client, to be handled similarly if not the same as a Joey. Turn it on, get an available tuner. If they're all tied up, offer to join one or play a recording.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#7 OFFLINE   rstark18

rstark18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:36 PM

Just talked to chat again and got a tech that new what they were talking about this time. He confirmed that it should not work that way and filled out a trouble ticket for a future s/w upgrade. Hopefully soon.

#8 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:58 PM

I just got the hopper. I tried using the sling today on my android app . And unlike the 722K the sling attached to the hopper will not allow you to see your external drive. I chatted with dish technical chat support and a very grumpy technician told me that that's how it is and it's not going to change. So for those of you who still have the 722 and use your external drive on the sling do not move to the hopper

#9 OFFLINE   RaymondG@DISH Network

RaymondG@DISH Network

Godfather

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:35 PM

Just upgraded from a 722 to a Hopper today. My nightly routine is to watch some recorded show via sling on my iPad while in the kitchen. With the Hopper I couldn't get the sling to play any recorded shows (I had a few). Never had much problem with the 722. I contacted 2nd level chat support. The guy (Thomas (ID: [***])) insisted that if I am recording anything then the sling cannot access recorded shows. He said that all sling enabled DVRs work this way. I told him I've had two 722's that worked fine watching a recorded show while recording another (as long as 1 tuner was free). He said they were not working correctly.
What's going on here? I cant imagine not being able to use the sling adapter if a tuner is recording something. That would make my sling completely useless for me because I record a lot of shows in the evening (even more now with PrimeTimeAnytime) which is also the time I need the sling.

When you Sling, any open tuner should be available for the Sling to take over. Were the other tuners being used at all for viewing TV? Please send me a PM with your phone or account number so I can assist you with this. Thanks!

#10 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,892 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:52 PM

... a very grumpy technician told me that that's how it is and it's not going to change.

Hopefully the word of one grumpy technician isn't written in stone. :)

#11 OFFLINE   rstark18

rstark18

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 62 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:30 PM

I'll PM Raymond and hopefully we can figure this out. But I have to say the Hopper/Sling combo is VERY buggy. I'll come up with a list later.

#12 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Hopefully the word of one grumpy technician isn't written in stone. :)

Hi James sefing you a pm

#13 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:27 AM

Hi James sending you a pm

will not let me pm dont have enough entries on this page maybe this one will do

#14 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:55 AM

I have the Hopper with the Sling Adapter connected. I setup 2 recordings online and connected to the Hopper to view a DVR recording at the same time and it let me watch a DVR recording while it was recording. When I return home, I will record 2 shows and sling again to make sure. Thanks.

I just got the hopper. I tried using the sling today on my android app . And unlike the 722K the sling attached to the hopper will not allow you to see your external drive. I chatted with dish technical chat support and a very grumpy technician told me that that's how it is and it's not going to change. So for those of you who still have the 722 and use your external drive on the sling do not move to the hopper

#15 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:36 AM

I have the Hopper with the Sling Adapter connected. I setup 2 recordings online and connected to the Hopper to view a DVR recording at the same time and it let me watch a DVR recording while it was recording. When I return home, I will record 2 shows and sling again to make sure. Thanks.

Please check to see if the online dish or sling app will allow you to see and watch the external drive that is connected to the hopper

#16 OFFLINE   homeron

homeron

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 09:33 PM

Is there any updates ? Are we going to be able to use dish online or a sling app to watch our external hard drives like we could on the 722 ? The hopper will not allow this

#17 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,916 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 16 April 2012 - 10:29 PM

Is there any updates ? Are we going to be able to use dish online or a sling app to watch our external hard drives like we could on the 722 ? The hopper will not allow this

I think it could be fixed, but it really matter of prioritizing inside of their SW Dept.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...