Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Standard Editor Window Size

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:02 AM

I use the "Standard Editor". When I resize the compose Message window with the double-down arrows, then click Preview Post, the resulting compose Message window returns to it's small default size. Which leads me to resize the window after every preview. This issue doesn't occur with other vBulletin forums I visit. Anyone else noticed this relentless behavior?

I did search to see if this issue was covered recently, but didn't find any relevant returns.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 17 March 2012 - 06:56 AM

I'd suspect a cookie problem. Try logging off, clearing your cookies from dbstalk, and logging back in.
DirecTV customer since 1997
HR24-500, HR22-100
I don't do buddy/friends lists, don't ask.

#3 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 08:56 AM

Another approach to resolving the issue (if you're willing) is to use Google Chrome. It lets you resize multi-line text fields for any site and retains the size preference when the site is revisited.

#4 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 17 March 2012 - 04:43 PM

I'd suspect a cookie problem. Try logging off, clearing your cookies from dbstalk, and logging back in.

By suggesting to clear the cookies, I take it that this behavior is not normal. That the Standard Editor should retain it's size during and between sessions?

I'll clear the DBSTalk cookies and see what happens.

Another approach to resolving the issue (if you're willing) is to use Google Chrome. It lets you resize multi-line text fields for any site and retains the size preference when the site is revisited.

I've consider Chrome, just not all that happy with the company.

Thanks.

#5 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:00 AM

Attempt one:

• Logged out of the forum. Forum reported, "All cookies cleared!"
  • Checked browser and one dbstalk.com cookie was there, which was deleted.
  • Logged back in and started this reply.
  • Resized the editor by clicking the double-down arrow three times.
  • Clicked the "Preview Post" button.
On the resulting page, the editor was back to the small default size. Saved text and canceled the reply.

Attempt two:

• Logged out of the forum. Forum reported, "All cookies cleared!"
  • Checked browser and two dbstalk.com cookies were there, which were deleted.
  • Closed the browser and then restarted the browser.
  • Checked again, no dbstalk.com cookies.
  • Logged back in and started this reply.
  • Pasted text.
  • Resized the editor by clicking the double-down arrow three times.
On the resulting page, the editor was back to the small default size. Checked cookies and there are now seven associated with dbstalk.com.

Attempt three:

• logged out. Forum reports all cookies cleared. They weren't. Deleted two. Closed browser.
  • Started browser. Logged back in. Started this reply. Pasted text. Increased window three sizes.
On the resulting page, the editor was back to the small default size. Checked cookies and again there are seven associated with dbstalk.com. So, it seems that seven cookies are normal. Of the seven, five are deleted when you log out of the forum. Unless I'm missing something, I do not believe it's a cookie issue.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,061 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:18 AM

Interesting because I use Chrome and I resize the text boxes often and they never stick. Many of the posts that I do are very long and mush easier to read when the text box is bigger, I wish I could keep it that way.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,673 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

Interesting because I use Chrome and I resize the text boxes often and they never stick. Many of the posts that I do are very long and mush easier to read when the text box is bigger, I wish I could keep it that way.

This is odd... I've done this before and it worked, because I know I had a very large reply box and it would stay that way in multiple threads. However, I just tried it and it's not working, so my guess is one of the recent Google Chrome updates changed this. Sorry gang...

#8 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:46 PM

By suggesting to clear the cookies, I take it that this behavior is not normal.

Don't know. I use the "Standard editor" too and don't see an option to change the window size at all. But since I don't see an option for window size in the UserCP, it seems likely that if there is such a setting it would be stored in a cookie.
HR24-500, HR22-100

#9 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:47 AM

Don't know. I use the "Standard editor" too and don't see an option to change the window size at all.

In the "Message" panel, in the upper-right hand corner, to the left of the editor toggle button you will find two sets of double arrows. The upper double arrow decreases the size of the editor window. The lower double arrow increases the size of the editor window.

A few minutes ago I was over at a different website that also uses the vBulletin software. I had no issues with their editor remembering the last size of the editor window. This isn't a feature of the browser so much as it's a function of the vBulletin software. The editor window size control has been around for quite awhile. When adjusted, it should remember the editor window size between each click of the "Preview Post" button. This one doesn't.

But since I don't see an option for window size in the UserCP, it seems likely that if there is such a setting it would be stored in a cookie.

If the setting is stored in the cookie, all of the information has to make it to the cookie, and it has to be read completely back from the cookie. Unless it is a admins decision to disable it in some way, perhaps to discourage lengthy detailed posts, the data exchange is broken.

#10 OFFLINE   Chris Blount

Chris Blount

Creator of DBSTalk

• Administrators
  • 17,176 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:31 AM

I have been looking at this issue. It's obviously a bug somewhere in the software. Still looking.

#11 OFFLINE   makaiguy

makaiguy

Icon

• Registered
  • 620 posts
  • LocationAiken, SC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

Well, I'll be darned. I never noticed that before, and I actually administer a vBulletin board!
HR24-500, HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 04:38 PM

I have been looking at this issue. It's obviously a bug somewhere in the software. Still looking.

Thanks for looking into it. I hope it's not a difficult fix.

#13 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 411 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:02 AM

Any new information regarding the issue?

Blowgun

spam firewall