Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Intelsat-18 at 180 W

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Registered
  • 972 posts
  • LocationSalt Lake City, Utah, USA

Posted 17 March 2012 - 11:21 AM

I tried to see if I can point my 0.85m Ku dish down low enough to make 7.8 degrees elevation, but it needs a bit of help....probably have to mount it upside down. But, holding it perfectly still on the balcony railing, I was able to see some data trying to lock on I-18, even through some trees.

I'm waiting for a new receiver that can do DVB-S2 and MPEG-4, and I'll try again at the nearby park, where I have a good shot toward the west. Hopefully, I'll be able to see some programming from France TV and TNS providers, on the French Polynesia and US Beam.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Scott in FL

Scott in FL

Godfather

• Registered
  • 427 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

Interesting, but I think most of those channels are encrypted. I used to work for the company that uplinked these channels (GlobeCast Paris, uplinked from Sylmar, CA).

#3 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:52 AM

Lyngsat shows a very few un-encrypted on there. I'm just "playing" with that one, not expecting a lot of programming. I used to watch some c-band from Wallis et Futuna, on NSS-9, here at work...same polarity as our BYU-TV uplink. It'll be nice if I get something on Ku, since so many hemi beams are only C-band.

BTW, Globecast SLC has their Business TV facility in the next room from where I'm sitting.
Small world!

#4 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:13 AM

Well, the new FTA Receiver came last week. I'm assuming I got Serial Number 1, because I've never tested such a piece of junk.
I'll refrain from posting the manufacturer and model number until I see if they are going to issue some "fixes" for it.

Right now, it's search functions are totally flakey, and it's "Signal Strength" metering seems to be purely cosmetic (all-or-none readings).
Maybe I just got a dud.

#5 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 05 May 2012 - 09:37 AM

Signal readings in digital are usually all or nothing, or otherwise pretty meaningless. Its the Quality reading that really matters.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#6 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 06 May 2012 - 01:57 PM

Signal readings in digital are usually all or nothing, or otherwise pretty meaningless. Its the Quality reading that really matters.

Yeah, that's what I tell OTA viewers all the time. I think the manufacturers just try to make their newest box show the highest arbitrary number they can come up with, to make their own product look "more sensitive" than another.

I tried adding some attenuation to the L-band input, to see if it was just slightly overloaded....after 18 total 3 dB attenuators, it tried to lock on PBS.
54 dB made no difference at all, on Signal Strength ("90%"), and almost none on "Quality" (10-12% all the way).

I tried scanning, using the big Simulsat dish at work today. Found channels on about one-forth of the transponders that it saw activity on. I'll have to check against Lyngsat, and see if those were all video channels (some were likely broadband).

#7 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 12 May 2012 - 10:52 AM

Looks like the receiver I got was some sort of useless "clone".
Remind me to never buy that "brand" again.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,867 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 12 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

Could you reveal the brand and model to us ? To avoid fall into same trap ? :)

#9 OFFLINE   kenglish

kenglish

Icon

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 972 posts

Posted 13 May 2012 - 12:55 PM

It was a clone of the OpenBox S11.
No manufacturer's name or address on the unit or in the literature.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...