Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S203 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#26 OFFLINE   David Bott

David Bott

Hall Of Fame

• Administrators
  • 2,279 posts
  • LocationTraveling the USA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:10 AM

There seems to be a lot of confusion regarding the need for a Hopper Internet Connector (HIC) and DLNA.

From our contact at DISH this is what I know on the topic...

Here is how the system works.

1. With a direct connect to Hopper – Hopper can access all apps, BB@Home, and DLNA
Joey can access all apps (EXCEPT DLNA HOME MEDIA) and BB@Home

2. To get DLNA to a Joey
Need to direct connect the Joey OR use a HIC

Also there are reports of App freezing – DISH has identified an issue that will be fixed shortly.

Many reports of DLNA not working – DISH is looking into it.

Not that this is a help right now...but DISH is reading and this aware and looking into resolving the issues.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#27 OFFLINE   renpar61

renpar61

Legend

• Registered
  • 138 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Second day with Hopper/Joey: the whole night the Hopper has been slow responding, a 4/5 seconds delay in every operation as changing channels, showing guide, moving arrow within guide. Tried turning off and on again with no change. Turned it off last night. This morning it would not turn on (no green light) showing an all purple screen, although being warm and hard drive spinning. Pressed the reset button and everything went back to normal. :confused:
Just software glitches to be corrected?

#28 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 12:51 PM

A couple more bug reports:

- Browse does not follow ascending/descending setting. For example if the guide is set to ascending, down arrow goes to the next higher channel number. In browse mode it goes to the next lower channel, the opposite of what it should do.

- One local channel randomly disappears from my favorites list. I can only add it back if I add at least 2 channels (I can't add just the one back). In a few hours or days it will be removed from my list again. In my case, it happens with ABC and FOX.

- While in the guide, using an IR remote, it sometimes takes several presses of Record to get the recording popup to stay open.

#29 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

That's normal way for dish - push out new version, gather bug reports from users later.
Just check the rush activity in updating FW of the model: EKB before CES 2012 and before the deployment.

#30 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,412 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

This morning it would not turn on (no green light) showing an all purple screen, although being warm and hard drive spinning.

How warm?

Try Menu - Settings - Network Setup - Tests - View Counters
Page down (above the guide button on the right hand side of the remote) to HDD High Temp, HDD Low Temp and HDD Average Temp.

Mine is currently showing 136/75/116 (degrees). What are your numbers?

#31 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

HDD High Temp, HDD Low Temp and HDD Average Temp. Mine is currently showing 136/75/116 (degrees).

Please let those numbers be Fahrenheit. Otherwise, what toppings do you want on your pizza. :lol:

In any case, every computer program that I've seen that monitors hard drive temperatures does so in Celsius. Your numbers, 136/75/116 Fahrenheit, converts approximately to 58/24/46 Celsius, respectively.

A Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black hard drive has an operating temperature of 32° F to 140° F (-0° C to 60° C). A Seagate 2 TB Barracuda hard drive has the same upper limit, 60° C.

Your highest temperature is dangerously high. Typically, you'll see 30 to 35 Celsius on average, the lower the better as long as frost doesn't develop.

Unless you live in an unusual situation where the ambient temperature is high, it appears that the Hopper case and fan is not doing an adequate job of cooling the hard drive. If left to bake, this could result in premature hardware failure.
Blowgun

2x Hopper with Sling (S520)
Hopper bugs and feature requests

#32 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 20,440 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:50 PM

In any case, every computer program that I've seen that monitors hard drive temperatures does so in Celsius. Your numbers, 136/75/116 Fahrenheit, converts approximately to 58/24/46 Celsius, respectively.

You haven't seen them all then :)

The Dish receivers show Fahrenheit. I also have software on my iMac that lets me choose to display either Fahrenheit or Celsius (Centigrade).

-- !rotaredoM mA eM

What I do when I'm not here

#33 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:21 PM

You haven't seen them all then. :)

No, just the good ones. :)

J/K

The Dish receivers show Fahrenheit. I also have software on my iMac that lets me choose to display either Fahrenheit or Celsius (Centigrade).

At the very least you should be given the same option on the DISH receiver. Besides, Celsius (formerly known as Centigrade) is more commonly used in discussions of component temperature.

What's disheartening is that not only is the Hopper using 2 TB hard drives that have a questionable reliability factor, the hard drives also appear to reside in a box with inadequate air flow. With 1.5 TB of data getting racked around, the heat issue could be caused by a poorly designed cage or the intentional stepping down of the fan to reduce noise, or both. I would be concerned if my hard drives exceeded 40° C. Obviously it's too soon to know anything definite, but it's something I think should be monitored.
Blowgun

#34 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:06 PM

No, just the good ones. :)

J/K

At the very least you should be given the same option on the DISH receiver. Besides, Celsius (formerly known as Centigrade) is more commonly used in discussions of component temperature.

What's disheartening is that not only is the Hopper using 2 TB hard drives that have a questionable reliability factor, the hard drives also appear to reside in a box with inadequate air flow. With 1.5 TB of data getting racked around, the heat issue could be caused by a poorly designed cage or the intentional stepping down of the fan to reduce noise, or both. I would be concerned if my hard drives exceeded 40° C. Obviously it's too soon to know anything definite, but it's something I think should be monitored.

I didn't get the h2k dissected, but you can find my analysis of internal cooling 622/722 (922 has same flow) and a solution (actually two).
Yes, it was very inadequate design and my feeling same person continue working there.

#35 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

Found what might be a bug with the zoom function remote on the Hopper (* button).

"Partial zoom" is not functioning correctly. It stretches the screen fully vertically regardless of if "partial zoom" or "zoom is selected." Not a huge deal, I rarely use "partial zoom", but I did notice it.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#36 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

The thread become obsolete this night.

#37 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,412 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 22 March 2012 - 04:21 PM

Yep.
S204 is in the wind (and on my receiver).
S256 is on my Joeys.

#38 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:49 AM

I didn't get the h2k dissected,

Perhaps these will help:

Posted Image

Posted Image
Source: FCC

Note: These images are reduced in size from their original because the IMG BBcode here is not fully functional.

but you can find my analysis of internal cooling 622/722 (922 has same flow) and a solution (actually two).

For fun, Hopper solutions:
  • Modify the cage to create greater air flow.
  • Attach 'helper' fans.
  • Water block.
  • Run the air conditioner.
  • Let it swing from a ceiling fan.
  • Attach Aluminum bowl with a decorative plant on top of the case.
  • Bury underground where temperature is constant.
  • Place in a remote high altitude snow cabin and Sling (when available) to low altitude home.
  • Partially submerge the case into baby oil.
  • College dorm room refrigerator.
  • Slow down time.
  • Dry ice fog.
  • One word: Mints.
  • Let your barefoot girlfriend stand on the case.
  • The stare from your girlfriend after suggesting that she stands on the case.

Yes, it was very inadequate design and my feeling same person continue working there.

If the images above are current, it doesn't look like much thought went into the design. They didn't even bother to notch out the tray. The internal heat sensor is close to that fan and temperatures are close to 60° C, I wonder what the temperatures are like on the opposite side.
Blowgun

#39 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:54 PM

Well, I got the pictures from FCC long time ago (and posted here, BTW).
I saw that design, but I'm in doubts if it do cooling well. I can't see if there is a gap between the fan and a cover's side; if it's true we will have almost adiabatic system what will rise internal temp.
I don't see how air flow going to cool the drive; I see nothing in the air flow design what will cool the main chip ...
I'd like to measure temp of internal parts after a few hours of work ...

#40 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

Well, I got the pictures from FCC long time ago (and posted here, BTW).

I don't see how air flow going to cool the drive; I see nothing in the air flow design what will cool the main chip ...
I'd like to measure temp of internal parts after a few hours of work ...

I wonder which way the fan is blowing? My gut feeling is that it is sucking air in and blowing it over the main chip and also into the hard drive with the output passing the power supply and out. This makes more sense to me than the fan layout of the 622/722s.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion about which way the fan is blowing?

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#41 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I do not believe the thread is getting "derailed" by including the experience of overheating. Regardless, I'll gather up all the related posts and create a new thread. I'll post the new thread link here when I'm done.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay. Here's the link. Please click HERE.

Edited by Blowgun, 24 March 2012 - 04:23 AM.
Added link

Blowgun

#42 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I wonder which way the fan is blowing? My gut feeling is that it is sucking air in and blowing it over the main chip and also into the hard drive with the output passing the power supply and out. This makes more sense to me than the fan layout of the 622/722s.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion about which way the fan is blowing?

If the fan isn't wired backwards, the picture indicates that the fan is blowing air into the case. However, because there appears to be a lack of a notch in the hard drive tray, a lot of the air flow is probably getting pushed back towards the fan, creating a eddy. This would not be good.
Blowgun

#43 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

If the fan isn't wired backwards, the picture indicates that the fan is blowing air into the case. However, because there appears to be a lack of a notch in the hard drive tray, a lot of the air flow is probably getting pushed back towards the fan, creating a eddy. This would not be good.

Are you getting this from pictures or have you actually opened up a hopper?

I still believe in magic
!

#44 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

DHMO User

• Registered
  • 565 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm getting it from the way that the fan is attached to the chassis in the picture. Fans usually blow air out from the same side the DC wires come out of the motor. In this case, the wires are towards the inside. So, as long as the polarity of the fan is correct, the fan represents the intake.
Blowgun

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 20,289 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't relay to wiring of a fun; each fun had marks - direction of rotation and air flow. And some [smart decision] PCBA has silkscreen showing same marks for proper install of the fun. I've seen wrong positioned fun inside of TR-50 [DTVpal DVR].

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 41,412 posts
  • LocationMichiana

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Not exactly blown away:
Posted Image
Elsewhere on the cabinet the paper didn't stay in place.

#47 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 900 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks,
I guess that is proof that the fan sucks (the air in), which would be logical as you would want the air to exit over the power supply and not enter into the cabinet over the power supply.

I still believe in magic
!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...