Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S203 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:23 PM

I do not believe the thread is getting "derailed" by including the experience of overheating. Regardless, I'll gather up all the related posts and create a new thread. I'll post the new thread link here when I'm done.

EDIT: Sorry for the delay. Here's the link. Please click HERE.

Edited by Blowgun, 24 March 2012 - 04:23 AM.
Added link

It's not "PTAT", it's "PTA".
Source: DISH Network

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:42 AM

I wonder which way the fan is blowing? My gut feeling is that it is sucking air in and blowing it over the main chip and also into the hard drive with the output passing the power supply and out. This makes more sense to me than the fan layout of the 622/722s.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion about which way the fan is blowing?

If the fan isn't wired backwards, the picture indicates that the fan is blowing air into the case. However, because there appears to be a lack of a notch in the hard drive tray, a lot of the air flow is probably getting pushed back towards the fan, creating a eddy. This would not be good.

#43 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:11 AM

If the fan isn't wired backwards, the picture indicates that the fan is blowing air into the case. However, because there appears to be a lack of a notch in the hard drive tray, a lot of the air flow is probably getting pushed back towards the fan, creating a eddy. This would not be good.

Are you getting this from pictures or have you actually opened up a hopper?

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

#44 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 388 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:56 PM

I'm getting it from the way that the fan is attached to the chassis in the picture. Fans usually blow air out from the same side the DC wires come out of the motor. In this case, the wires are towards the inside. So, as long as the polarity of the fan is correct, the fan represents the intake.

#45 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,723 posts
  • LocationBay Area

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:33 PM

I wouldn't relay to wiring of a fun; each fun had marks - direction of rotation and air flow. And some [smart decision] PCBA has silkscreen showing same marks for proper install of the fun. I've seen wrong positioned fun inside of TR-50 [DTVpal DVR].

#46 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 39,305 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Not exactly blown away:
Posted Image
Elsewhere on the cabinet the paper didn't stay in place.

#47 OFFLINE   Grandude

Grandude

RichardParker II

• Registered
  • 853 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

Thanks,
I guess that is proof that the fan sucks (the air in), which would be logical as you would want the air to exit over the power supply and not enter into the cabinet over the power supply.

Brian...reporting from the left coast
 2 Hoppers,1 Joey, 1 VIP211K active receivers
 I still believe in magic
!

spam firewall