Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

ASK DBSTALK: 921 DVI HDCP on/off? now/when?

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Doody

Doody

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:28 AM

my plasma will take DVI in, but won't currently talk HDCP.

someone over at AVSForum said that DISH has not yet flipped on the encryption bit, so nothing is being encrypted. this means that everybody with DVI-capable displays that don't talk HDCP can use the 921's DVI output.

but....

(A) is that gentleman right? is that true for all HD content and premium channels and PPV?

(B) has anybody asked them what their plans are on turning on encryption, and if so, in what cases are they planning to turn it on? for everything via DVI? only for stuff > 480i? only for HD? etc.

tia,
doody.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobMurdoch

BobMurdoch

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,009 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 09:40 AM

Don't look for them to turn it on until the FCC or their programming partners tell them that they have to. E* has always been fairly good about allowing you to view and/or copy anything they offer and I don't see them changing that policy unless they are forced to.
"The mass of men lead lives of quiet desperation." Henry David Thoreau Walden (1854)

:ramblinon

XBox 360 Gamertag::grin:
Posted Image

#3 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 10:13 AM

has anybody asked them what their plans are on turning on encryption, and if so, in what cases are they planning to turn it on? for everything via DVI? only for stuff > 480i? only for HD? etc.

This question was asked, I think during a technical chat, and DISH's answer was that they would not turn on encryption until they were forced to do so by licensing.

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

#4 OFFLINE   Doody

Doody

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 06 January 2004 - 07:53 PM

interesting data, gents. thank you!

it would suck to buy a 921, use it for a month and then have them flip the HDCP bit on everything!

there are HDCP cards available for my plasma (pioneer 50" with a card slot), but i'm not gleeful about any of them yet and are hoping something better comes down the pike.

doody.

#5 OFFLINE   wcswett

wcswett

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 10 January 2004 - 04:38 PM

interesting data, gents. thank you!
it would suck to buy a 921, use it for a month and then have them flip the HDCP bit on everything! there are HDCP cards available for my plasma (pioneer 50" with a card slot), but i'm not gleeful about any of them yet and are hoping something better comes down the pike.

Well, they seem to be putting all the necessary things in place to activate HDCP when required, so they'll still be able to offer those premium pay-per-views, or whatever. It seems to me that until HDCP is common to a LOT or receivers and monitors, it makes no sense to turn it on and eliminate the majority of potential viewers, especially if it's an expensive pay-per-view already.

--- WCS
DISH RECEIVERS: 622(x2), 510, 211(x2)
PROGRAMMING: DISH HD Platinum, Atlanta locals
ANTENNAS: 61.5, 110, 119, 129

Protected By... spam firewall...And...