Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Your oldest season pass?

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:18 AM

Going back all the way to when it started, I'd have to say Cops.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:45 PM

When I first saw this message thread I was thinking on your current DVR not going back VCR days.

None Of the stuff I used to record has been around for quite a while. I never got the whole Simpsons thing. Nor most of the Fox lineup for that matter.

I bought my first VHS VCR when they came out with a 2/4 hour 24 hour/1 timer model. You set the timer then you pressed the Piano keys on top so it could record when it turned on. I recall around $800 for the VCR and around $20 for a 2 hour tape.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#23 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

When I first saw this message thread I was thinking on your current DVR not going back VCR days.

A good time shifter will always remember the nightmare of multiple VCRs....:lol:

None Of the stuff I used to record has been around for quite a while. I never got the whole Simpsons thing. Nor most of the Fox lineup for that matter.

I'll probably get flamed for saying this (and I'll blame you), but I'm proud to say I've never watched one episode of the Simpsons.

I bought my first VHS VCR when they came out with a 2/4 hour 24 hour/1 timer model. You set the timer then you pressed the Piano keys on top so it could record when it turned on. I recall around $800 for the VCR and around $20 for a 2 hour tape.

What did you buy???

Rich

#24 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 01:35 PM

A good time shifter will always remember the blessing of multiple VCRs....:lol:

FYP

When the 2 hour finale for Star Trek:TNG was aired, I couldn't be home when it started, so I recorded it on 2 VCRs. Once I got home, I stopped one recording and started to watch it. Once I finished that tape, the other one was finished recording and I just had to rewind to where I had left off.

#25 OFFLINE   Church AV Guy

Church AV Guy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 511 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:21 PM

I have two that are very old indeed.

Believe it on not, I have been recording episodes of NOVA on PBS since the early 80s, and I have one or two from the late 70s. I got my first VCR when I was in college in 1977 or 1978, and I STILL have a few of the recordings made with that machine. According to EPGUIDES, the very first episode of NOVA aired 03/Mar/74. The funniest thing is, I recently converted my tapes to DVDs, and in a few months, I got to see the evolution of NOVA over a quarter century. Originally, the tagline was "for a transcript of tonights episode, please send $ and a self addressed stampled envelope to..." the it was, for a copy of this episode on Beta video tape cassette..." Then the offer was for VHS or Beta tapes, then VHS only, and finally DVDs. Currently, they might be offerring DVD or BluRay.:)

The other series I have been recording since college has been Doctor Who. I have seen every episode from season seven to present. The oldest episode I have seen had an original air date of 3 Jan 70, though I didn't see it until much later.
Luke

Sagaciously eschew obfuscating sesquipedalianisms.

Evil is charming and beautiful. It makes you doubt yourself. It asks for one small compromise after another until it whittles you down, and it functions best when no one believes in it.--from Joan of Arcadia

#26 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:45 PM

FYP

When the 2 hour finale for Star Trek:TNG was aired, I couldn't be home when it started, so I recorded it on 2 VCRs. Once I got home, I stopped one recording and started to watch it. Once I finished that tape, the other one was finished recording and I just had to rewind to where I had left off.

When I found the DVRs and decided to do my recordings on them I had twelve VCRs running. That number seems to follow me around....:lol:

Rich

#27 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:47 PM

FYP

David, you are aware that The Next Generation is coming out in BluRay soon?

I plan to watch that whole series over. The best of the Star Treks by far, I think.

Rich

#28 OFFLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

There for Jeter's flip play

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,111 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 19 March 2012 - 02:55 PM

David, you are aware that The Next Generation is coming out in BluRay soon?

I plan to watch that whole series over. The best of the Star Treks by far, I think.

Rich

I have the original season sets on DVD for TNG. I haven't decided if the Blu-ray's will be a purchase or a Netflix rental.

#29 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,763 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:10 PM

When I found the DVRs and decided to do my recordings on them I had twelve VCRs running. That number seems to follow me around....:lol:

Rich

I had five at one time.

#30 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 20 March 2012 - 05:56 AM

A friend once described me on his website saying that I "had more VCRs than the Pope has pointy hats!"

#31 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

I have the original season sets on DVD for TNG. I haven't decided if the Blu-ray's will be a purchase or a Netflix rental.

I've got the original sets too. I'll be watching them using NF, I don't (well, rarely) buy any recorded content.

Rich

#32 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:22 AM

A friend once described me on his website saying that I "had more VCRs than the Pope has pointy hats!"

I'm finally on my last one. My wife collected a bunch of Disney flix on VHS and she thinks my granddaughter is gonna watch them. Hasn't worked out well so far.

Rich

#33 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

OK, that begs the question: How many pointy hats does the Pope have?

Rich

#34 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,279 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:10 PM

A good time shifter will always remember the nightmare of multiple VCRs....:lol:

I'll probably get flamed for saying this (and I'll blame you), but I'm proud to say I've never watched one episode of the Simpsons.

What did you buy???

Rich

I never understood the attraction of the Simpsons.

Would you believe I do not remember the particular RCA model.
However this does fit my recollection.
http://www.videokarm...ad.php?t=250124

List price. Check
Piano key controls, Check
Turret type tuner, Check
Top loading, Check
Wired pause, Check
There was a hardware hack for that so you could see the paused content.

At that time you had to decide between Beta (1st VCR), Sanyo V-Cord, Magnavox Great Time machine and VHS.

Cheers
Roger
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#35 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:28 PM

Totally escapes me, too.

List price. Check
Turret type tuner, Check
Top loading, Check
Wired pause, Check

At that time you had to decide between Beta (1st VCR), Sanyo V-Cord, Magnavox Great Time machine and VHS.

Wow. That's a lot of money. Must have been around '81 or '82, no? I saw my first VCR in one of those years and it was a JVC. Fell off a truck and the guy that ended up with it didn't have the manual for it. We never did figure out how to use it.

My first VCR was a Beta-Max bought in 1983 I think. Sold that to a friend of mine in a moment of great stupidity and bought a Panny VCR. That Panny VCR was a piece of junk.

Rich

#36 OFFLINE   Supramom2000

Supramom2000

In Loving Memory of Onyx-2/23/09

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,301 posts
  • LocationSpokane, WA

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:27 PM

Cool. What year did you acquire your first VCR?

I think it was 1983. Obviously not the first year they existed, but it was the first one of any one I knew.

And I also am proud to say I have never watched an episode of the Simpsons, nor any of the Fox animated line up.

"But the freedom that they fought for, and the country grand they wrought for, is their monument today, and for aye." "This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave."

My Setup

#37 OFFLINE   webby_s

webby_s

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:38 PM

Star Trek: (any kind)

ducks :grin:
SlimLine 5LNB SWM 16
HR34-700 -->52" Sharp Aquos LED
H25-100 -->32" Philips Master BD
HR21-100 -->19" Vizio LED Kitchen,
HR24-500 --> 50" Panasonic DLP
Hockey is not a sport in Minnesota, it is life.

#38 OFFLINE   djlong

djlong

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,211 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:11 AM

Our first VCR was an RCA Select-a-Vision VDT-600 that we bought near the end of 1979 - I only remember that because the date of the oldest videotape I have is of a recording made in 1980. I remember wanting the 'new features' in the VET-650 that came out afterwards.

Oh - and to really date the experience.. That show I recorded? I stayed up late to tape "Burt Sugarman's Midnight Special" because my favorite group ("Yes") was on with a couple of videos promoting their new album ("Drama"). The other musical guest was The Vapors promoting "Turning Japanese" and the show was hosted by Billy Crystal.

#39 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,861 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:40 AM

List price. Check
Turret type tuner, Check
Top loading, Check
Wired pause, Check

Cheers
Roger

From Wikipedia: The two major standards were Sony's Betamax (also known as Betacord or just Beta), and JVC's VHS [Video Home System], which competed for sales in what became known as the format war.
Betamax was first to market in November 1975, and was argued by many to be technically more sophisticated in recording quality,[12] although many users did not perceive a visual difference. The first machines required an external timer, and could only record one hour. The timer was later incorporated within the machine as a standard feature.
The rival VHS format, introduced in Japan by JVC in September 1976 (and introduced in the United States in July 1977 by RCA) boasted a longer two-hour recording time with a T-120 tape, with four hours using a "long play" mode (RCA SelectaVision models, introduced in September 1977).

Could that model in your link be that old? I think I paid a bit over $200 for my first and only Betamax, and the Panny VCR I purchased after I sold the Betamax cost about the same. I bought them in 1982, I think. Your VCR must have been much older.

Rich

#40 ONLINE   Doug Brott

Doug Brott

Lifetime Achiever

• DBSTalk Club
  • 28,919 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Totally escapes me, too.

How would you know if you've never watched an episode. ;) :P
DIRECTV Firmware Monitor - iPhone - Android - HTML5

DIRECTV employee since August 2011.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

Protected By... spam firewall...And...