Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Slave TV?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   js0873

js0873

Legend

• Registered
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:18 PM

I'm trying to determine if you can actually slave a second TV off a Hopper/Joey. I don't need independent viewing on my second, non-HD TV. Today it uses the coax output from a 722 running in single tuner mode, and through the UHF remotes either location can change the channels. Of course that affects both TVs, but that's fine.

It looks to me that if I buy a RF modulator and convert the composite outputs from either a Hopper or Joey to a modulated signal on coax I can accomplish the same exact thing. I'd need a second remote control ($20 I think). I'm also assuming the remote controls operate via UHF and 2 of them can equally control a single Hopper/Joey.

Basically, can anyone verify if this is possible?

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Yes. The way you explained it will work.

#3 OFFLINE   gtal98

gtal98

Godfather

• Registered
  • 363 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 07:33 AM

It is possible as long as it is a dedicated line running from the receiver location to the other TV. You cannot backfeed a mirror along the same cable the satellite signal comes in on anymore using diplexers - it disrupts the MOCA network.

#4 OFFLINE   Rhyno77

Rhyno77

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

If anyone's curious, I connected one of my Joeys composite outputs to a 2.4 ghz wireless transmitter to mirror to the tv outside and it works great. I was a little worried that I wouldn't be able to like I had done with a vip622 before, and I couldn't find a good answer.
Ryan

#5 OFFLINE   4HiMarks

4HiMarks

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,310 posts
  • LocationLaurel, MD

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:50 AM

It is possible as long as it is a dedicated line running from the receiver location to the other TV. You cannot backfeed a mirror along the same cable the satellite signal comes in on anymore using diplexers - it disrupts the MOCA network.

Is there no diplexing possible then? Say an OTA signal, or QAM from a terrestrial cable system? I live halfway between Baltimore and DC. Although I am considered to be in the DC DMA, I can pick up Baltimore OTA slightly better with my roof antenna and the tuner on my 622. From what I read, there is no OTA tuner currently available for the Hopper. I have several ATSC tuners (including one HD), but don't want to have to run additional cables.

I also have FiOS, and would like to at least distribute content from that DVR over coax as well.

FiOS is actually my main TV provider. I only maintain Welcome pack programming with Dish for EHD access and recording more than 2 programs at once. Is there a minimum level of Dish service I need for a Hopper/joey?

Edited by 4HiMarks, 21 March 2012 - 09:51 AM.
typo

Dish subscriber since 2000, HD since 2004.

#6 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,519 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:11 PM

Is there no diplexing possible then? Say an OTA signal, or QAM from a terrestrial cable system?

DISH uses a portion of the OTA band for MoCA to talk between Hoppers and Joeys. Diplexing an OTA signal is not supported as it would interfere with the MoCA feed.

#7 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:53 AM

Yes. The way you explained it will work.

I'm doing it with this setup. IMO the PQ of the auxiliary out of the hopper is much better than the 612.

2H/1J

spam firewall