Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Frozen Planet

• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:44 PM

Frozen Planet
Discovery Channel
premieres on Sunday, March 18, at 8PM e/p.

A co-production of Discovery Channel and the BBC, and narrated by award-winning actor Alec Baldwin.

I just wanted to post this here too because it was added to the calendar a little late and thought it would be worth watching.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   lyradd

lyradd

Legend

• Registered
  • 119 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 05:55 PM

This is on the Discovery Channel page:

Tonight’s Frozen Planet broadcast starts a few minutes early, so be sure to be in your seats at 7:57PM e/p sharp to catch a brief “making of” segment before the first episode starts at 8PM e/p. And if you’re planning to DVR the series, you’ll want to set your “stop” time at 10:02PM e/p. Our premiere broadcast will include extra “making of” footage that will push the two-hour television event to two minutes past 10.

#3 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:33 PM

I just don't understand why they feel the need to always replace the narrator.

#4 OFFLINE   armophob

armophob

Difficulty Concen........

• DBSTalk Club
  • 6,877 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:44 PM

I just wanted to post this here too because it was added to the calendar a little late and thought it would be worth watching.

Yea, sorry. They kept advertising it on NPR all week, and I kept forgetting to write it down until tonight.:)

#5 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 9,016 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:02 PM

Yea, sorry. They kept advertising it on NPR all week, and I kept forgetting to write it down until tonight.:)

You and me both :)

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#6 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:37 PM

I thought everything was melting???? I just don’t know what to believe any more :confused:
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#7 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

You and me both :)

On again from 10:02pm to 12:04am

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#8 OFFLINE   Nick

Nick

Keep going - don't give up!

• DBSTalk Club
  • 21,189 posts
  • LocationThe Beautiful Golden Isles of Coastal Georgia

Posted 18 March 2012 - 09:04 PM

Playing on Velocity now.

~ 12 Year Anniversary Month ~
Charter Gold Club Member
DBSTalk Club ~ 21k Club
Top 10 Poster

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:41 AM

I thought everything was melting???? I just don’t know what to believe any more :confused:

The melting just starts earlier every year.

#10 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:18 AM

The melting just starts earlier every year.

And that's a GOOD THING - IF you heat your home with fuel oil or pro-pane or electric (non-nuke power plant) :)
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#11 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,743 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:57 AM

And that's a GOOD THING - IF you heat your home with fuel oil or pro-pane or electric (non-nuke power plant) :)

Until the desalination of the North Atlantic causes the Gulf Stream to shut down and the average temperature in the Northern Hemisphere starts to fall. See what was going on in Europe this winter as a result of just a minor weakening in the Gulf Stream's flow.

Also, the melting of the Antarctic and Greenland icepacks are not good news for anyone living near a coast. Since these icepacks are not floating in the ocean already, as they melt they increase the volume of water in the oceans and raise sea levels.

Dish Network Customer from 1998-2001
DirecTV Customer since October, 2001
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#12 OFFLINE   WestDC

WestDC

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,484 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:32 AM

That would be even better for me as it would make my lot ocean front.

AS long as the world population keeps doubling faster and faster -I would expect it to get much hotter sooner.
"Let's Have Some Fun!"

#13 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:52 AM

Absolutely incredible photography but the narration literally puts me to sleep. I have to rewind every 10-15 minutes after I wake up.

#14 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:48 AM

Absolutely incredible photography but the narration literally puts me to sleep. I have to rewind every 10-15 minutes after I wake up.

The original version most likely is superior.

#15 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:58 AM

According to the credits it's supposedly Alec Baldwin but sure doesn't sound like him. He must have had to go through "Boring Monotone Narrator" school first. :D If the original version was a Brit, that's even worse.

#16 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

Attenborough actually has a fairly neutral accent, and is generally the go to guy for nature documentaries. It looks like they're using his narration for the last episode though. For the American versions of the various series, they use a different narrator each time. First it was Sigourney Weaver, then Oprah, now Baldwin. Maybe they should have gotten Morgan Freeman.

#17 OFFLINE   veschler

veschler

• Registered
  • 6 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 07:56 PM

Such a beautiful program. This is why I pay for HD!

#18 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:26 PM

I think Planet Earth is still my favorite, but like this one too. There was a possibility that the final episode would not be aired here due to the controversial nature of the subject, climate change, but sounds like it will be.

#19 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,087 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:35 PM

I think Planet Earth is still my favorite, but like this one too. There was a possibility that the final episode would not be aired here due to the controversial nature of the subject, climate change, but sounds like it will be.

Without getting into that debate...I just find it interesting that the same people who say we shouldnt smoke because of all the carcinogens and poisons in the smoke, even second hand smoke, have no issues whatsoever with belching tons of coal smoke into the air, allowing millions of cars to emit hydrocarbon by-products into the air daily.

I like the show so far. I watch just about every and all science/nature documentaries I can.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#20 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,356 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:40 PM

Ok, watching last nights, I had to look up South Georgia. I'd only heard of the country, and got a bit confused...that's north of turkey, there aren't Penguins in Georgia...

Didn't know there was a different Georgia.

spam firewall