Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Is it always this difficult ??

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jlangleyrn

jlangleyrn

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I had a new install with dvr and 2 other boxes installed, MRV included along with cinema package, etc. I slowly have been playing with the system, since moving into the house at the same time, and just realized they really should have installed a DECA unit, or equivalent, when they put the system in, but didn't. So I called tonight about getting the internet hooked into my system and was forced to go thru 3 different techs before demanding to speak with a supervisor, because they all wanted me to pay the $85 for the wireless cinema kit that should have been installed with the system. It appears that if you don't know they screwed up the install in first 14 days then they want you to pay to fix it, which I found unacceptable. I did have internet when they installed the system, they put the box beside the router, but never hooked it up. My question is: is this the normal customer service process with DIRECTV ? Everyone was polite etc, just took 45 minutes to shuffle thru multiple levels of support to finally get the situation handled without me having to pay for the additional Wireless kit. Thanks in advance.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   swyman18

swyman18

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

Yes... Yes it is.

#3 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:48 PM

My question is: is this the normal customer service process with DIRECTV ? Everyone was polite etc, just took 45 minutes to shuffle thru multiple levels of support to finally get the situation handled without me having to pay for the additional Wireless kit. Thanks in advance.

"Not always", but customer service these days can be a great PITA.
I've been test driving a U-verse TV, while keeping my DirecTV. After reading what you went through, it's reminded me of the last 3 weeks of calling U-who.
Everyone was very nice, friendly, and saying they'd address my problems. I must have somewhere in excess of 25 hours "easily" on the phone to them.
I did get some things improved, but have every intention of pulling the cord on their service, as I've spent way too much time and effort.

Has you checked/asked here about the DECA for the internet, you might have found it can be a cheap as $30, for the self install kit.
A.K.A VOS

#4 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,960 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 18 March 2012 - 07:49 PM

Maybe they were confused because you seem confusing.

...just realized they really should have installed a DECA unit, or equivalent, when they put the system in, but didn't...I did have internet when they installed the system, they put the box beside the router, but never hooked it up.

If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#5 OFFLINE   jlangleyrn

jlangleyrn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:16 AM

Thanks for the replies, I haven't dealt with DIRECTV on anything before, so I just wanted to have an idea what I am potentially in for in the future, if I have any more issues.

#6 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:23 PM

Yes, this is definitely confusing. What do you mean they installed something by the router, but didn't hook it up? What did they install there? What did/didn't they hook it up too?

What are you calling DECA's?

It's possible that we might be able to get you up and running if you give us more information.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#7 OFFLINE   jlangleyrn

jlangleyrn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

I apologize for the confusion, I was saying that they actually installed my DVR beside my internet router, but they never hooked up anything to my internet to allow me to have internet access to the DVR. As far as DECA; I didn't know what the device was called that they were supposed to hook up to allow me to have MRV, as well as internet, so I called the wireless cinema kit, or whatever the actual name of it is, by the wrong name.

Basically everytime I hook up my internet to my DVR I loose MRV, so I called after learning they didn't hook everything up correctly. Hopefully this will clarify things, if not then I apologize. They are sending me the self install Wireless cinema kit for free, but if there is another way for me to hook things up I would be willing to do that. My setup is a HR24-100, as my DVR where the internet should hook up, and 2 , H25-100 boxes, one of which has a SWiM attached to it. I would love to have hooked everything into my internet router directly, but the H25-100 boxes don't have that ability.

If there is an alternate way to connect everything, so that I will have MRV and internet connectivity, then please let me know. Thanks.

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 04:55 PM

I think you'll have something like this, though maybe not as many receivers, and a model to two different, "but" the basics are the same.

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1319570397

I've since moved my H25 to near my CCK, but your HR24 would connect the same as this:

http://www.dbstalk.c...=1&d=1331485689
A.K.A VOS

#9 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

I think you'll have something like this, though maybe not as many receivers, and a model to two different, "but" the basics are the same.

After looking at your diagram, I have a question for you about my setup. I had an HR34 installed in place of my HR22. The installer added a Deca module as you show connected to the Silver HRxx, to my HR22. Then the installer connected the deca box I circled in your diagram, to a splitter near my HR34 via coax. Then the ethernet goes from my router to this box. Since the ethernet cable is located next to my HR34, and the HR34 has Deca built in, do I actually need that Deca box? Or could I simply plug the ethernet connection directly into my HR34 and eliminate that Deca box?

Attached Thumbnails

• BB Deca.GIF

HR34-700, HR22-100

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:31 PM

After looking at your diagram, I have a question for you about my setup. I had an HR34 installed in place of my HR22. The installer added a Deca module as you show connected to the Silver HRxx, to my HR22. Then the installer connected the deca box I circled in your diagram, to a splitter near my HR34 via coax. Then the ethernet goes from my router to this box. Since the ethernet cable is located next to my HR34, and the HR34 has Deca built in, do I actually need that Deca box? Or could I simply plug the ethernet connection directly into my HR34 and eliminate that Deca box?

Since the HR34 is the only receiver that doesn't deactivate the internal DECA, when the ethernet cable it also connected, many are skipping the CCK and using the HR34 to bridge the DECA network to the router.
A.K.A VOS

#11 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:45 PM

Since the HR34 is the only receiver that doesn't deactivate the internal DECA, when the ethernet cable it also connected, many are skipping the CCK and using the HR34 to bridge the DECA network to the router.

Ok thanks! And you did confirm that I was originally calling it by the proper name in another thread, a Cinema Connection Kit CCK.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:10 PM

Ok thanks! And you did confirm that I was originally calling it by the proper name in another thread, a Cinema Connection Kit CCK.

Wait another week and DirecTV will change the name again. :lol:
Broadband DECA is now a CCK, but who knows what it will be called next. !rolling
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   jlangleyrn

jlangleyrn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 08:43 PM

Wait another week and DirecTV will change the name again. :lol:
Broadband DECA is now a CCK, but who knows what it will be called next. !rolling

Ok so I wasn't being a total idiot by saying that I needed a DECA to make my system work correctly ? I am obviously new to these systems and their terminology, but from what I was reading it seemed like the DECA and cck were the same thing. I guess the wireless CCK is different ?

#14 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:11 PM

Ok so I wasn't being a total idiot by saying that I needed a DECA to make my system work correctly ? I am obviously new to these systems and their terminology, but from what I was reading it seemed like the DECA and cck were the same thing. I guess the wireless CCK is different ?

"In the whole history" of this:
A DECA is the while adapter for a receiver that doesn't have it internally.
These were used with a Power Inserter to bridge to your router.
Next came the broadband DECA which was a black package with it's own PI, to bridge to your router.
This changed names to a CCK and about this time, they came out with a wireless DECA that can be used wirelessly, or hard wired to bridge to the router from the DECA network, OR without the DECA networking, can be used to connect a receiver to the router wirelessly.
Now they've come out with a replacement for the white DECA that is black, so everyone should be totally confused by now, since whatever you used to call something, or by the color it was, has changed.
"Clear as mud"? :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#15 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,181 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:13 PM

Well, white mud! :sure::grin::hurah::D
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#16 OFFLINE   jlangleyrn

jlangleyrn

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 10:57 PM

Well, white mud! :sure::grin::hurah::D

Ya, what he said. :-)

#17 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,721 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 20 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

And I'm still bridging my DECA cloud with an "ICK" so I can have MRV betwixt them and my home LAN connected equipment ;)

Don "if I pause in one room how can I be in the other?" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...