Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Remote User Interface (RVU) now included in DLNA Interoperability Guidelines

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Grydlok

Grydlok

Icon

• Registered
  • 748 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:58 AM

Well, after your "candid" reply I did some calling around and ended up speaking at the nice folks at DirecTV Case Management. The information I based my statements on was from my supervisors but since the whole RVU/HMC system is still very new there is a lot of miss information. You were right about there being a fee. Instead of there being a receiver lease fee, there is a TV license fee which is the same cost, $6. As far as the Deca cloud thing you were talking about, you, I am afraid, are incorrect. The HMC(HR34) is connected to the internet via a WiFi or Broadband Deca to access Pandora, YouTube and the OnDemand content. Using a BBDeca at the RVU compatible TV, the HMC is able to send up to 4 of its 5 lines to different RVU devices(specific Samsung TVs for now) which would include the internet capable features on the HMC. Because the TV requires the LAN port to be used to utilize DTV through the HMC, Samsung built in WiFi so the owner would have access to the other SmartTV features on the TV like Netflix and surfing the internet. If I was wrong in any of my other statements or in what I just said, please let me know. Also, I would like to know your DirecTV credentials....Tech?(HSP or retail?) Call center rep?(and level?) ISS? R&D? Your profile didn't specify as to your knowledge/experience with DirecTV....I assume you are at least a customer.

hmm you should lurk some more.
Hypocrites with fake rumors need not apply.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

I think this bodes well for rvu to end up in a lot of other products.

Compare RVU with DIVX.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#23 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:58 PM

Compare RVU with DIVX.

Why compare two totally different things like that? That'd be dumb.

#24 OFFLINE   flipptyfloppity

flipptyfloppity

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,073 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:46 PM

I'm not sure this means much at all. DirecTV is not going to just pipe to any RVU client, it'll require one that enforces content protection (DRM) and has been tested to prove it is effective. So in the end, the number of RVU clients that we'll be able to use with any DirecTV receiver will still be relatively small.
room 1:
HR34-700 through Sony STR-DA5300ES amp to LG 55" LE8500 LCD flat panel via HDMI. Discrete OTA.

room 2:
On break. I thought I'd get something in time for baseball, but...

AU9 SWM dish. Channel Master 4228 for UHF + big yagi for VHF w/CM7777 combiner/amplifier.

Connected via wired GigE to Apple Time Capsule base station.

#25 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 12:08 AM

Why compare two totally different things like that?

DIVX was available in a lot of different kinds and brands of equipment but absent DIVX content, it turned out to be a bust. RVU will take a long time to get where it is going if they (RVU Alliance) don't start delivering a much broader scope of servers (i.e. ones that the majority of the viewing population can use as opposed to some small percentage of the DIRECTV population).

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#26 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:05 AM

I'm not sure this means much at all. DirecTV is not going to just pipe to any RVU client, it'll require one that enforces content protection (DRM) and has been tested to prove it is effective. So in the end, the number of RVU clients that we'll be able to use with any DirecTV receiver will still be relatively small.

Access control is surely an element of RVU or it wouldn't be viable. For DIRECTV's part, they seem to only be interested that the device is on the same LAN subnet.

#27 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,962 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:02 AM

Exactly, I'm sure any device that want's to get RVU certified will have to pass many DRM tests.

I'm not sure which is holding us up more though, the lack of RVU servers or RVU clients. I'd love to see a blu ray/DVD changer that works as a RVU server. Imagine putting all your blu-rays in a 300 disc blu ray changer and being able to select and watch them on any TV in the house without having to get up. Using real disks and not computer files streamed from a computer or online server. I'm wondering if the downfall of Kaleidescape and Zediva might make the the CE companies hesitate to make one though.

And I guess with the lack of RVU servers there isn't much of a demand for RVU clients. But with as many smart devices that keep getting realeased wouldn't it be worth just doing a bit more to get them RVU certified too. Why didn't Samsung decide to make all of this years Blu-Ray players RVU certified too, or at least maybe a couple models of them. If they would have done that I would be very tempted to buy 4 of them to replace my existing blu ray players and all my DirecTV receivers then just get one HR34 to do all the recording (I would have to deal with only being able to record 5 things at once instead of 6 but that shouldn't be too big of a problem).
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#28 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:49 PM

DIVX was available in a lot of different kinds and brands of equipment but absent DIVX content, it turned out to be a bust. RVU will take a long time to get where it is going if they (RVU Alliance) don't start delivering a much broader scope of servers (i.e. ones that the majority of the viewing population can use as opposed to some small percentage of the DIRECTV population).

Again, you are barking in the wrong yard.

Directv will have a rvu client soon/end of year probably. At some point, the normal installation for all customers will be an hr34 and clients, not hr24's and h25s. That time is coming.

RVU is not like Divix at all. Even if no one else where to use it, Directv will, and that will make it relevant. Divix died because no one ever used it. I sold divix players when divix first came out. I know all about what they tried to do, and morph it into. Its not at all the same thing.

#29 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:54 PM

Exactly, I'm sure any device that want's to get RVU certified will have to pass many DRM tests.

I'm not sure which is holding us up more though, the lack of RVU servers or RVU clients. I'd love to see a blu ray/DVD changer that works as a RVU server. Imagine putting all your blu-rays in a 300 disc blu ray changer and being able to select and watch them on any TV in the house without having to get up. Using real disks and not computer files streamed from a computer or online server. I'm wondering if the downfall of Kaleidescape and Zediva might make the the CE companies hesitate to make one though.

And I guess with the lack of RVU servers there isn't much of a demand for RVU clients. But with as many smart devices that keep getting realeased wouldn't it be worth just doing a bit more to get them RVU certified too. Why didn't Samsung decide to make all of this years Blu-Ray players RVU certified too, or at least maybe a couple models of them. If they would have done that I would be very tempted to buy 4 of them to replace my existing blu ray players and all my DirecTV receivers then just get one HR34 to do all the recording (I would have to deal with only being able to record 5 things at once instead of 6 but that shouldn't be too big of a problem).

I think RVU will do fine just with DIrectv, but if they do want to get things going in a lot more directions, I think it starts with an individual manufacturer making all their products RVU like you suggest. Have all their smart tvs capable of being rvu clients, and all their dvd/bluray players be rvu servers. The bigger one would be getting sony to do that, so they could also make their playstation an rvu server. Then Xbox.. That would be huge.

But we are so early on in this entire endevour, it will be at least next year before you see anyone really committing to making all their products rvu.. Maybe even two or three years out. They need to see the hr34 work well first, before putting the money into it.

#30 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 17,838 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:53 AM

Directv will have a rvu client soon/end of year probably.

There's been no movement (FCC/UL approvals, etc) on the C31 that I can find.

RVU is not like Divix at all. Even if no one else where to use it, Directv will, and that will make it relevant.

DIRECTV delivered the OWLink and look where that went. What makes you think that DIRECTV drives the CE industry?

Divix died because no one ever used it.

On the one hand you insist that DIVX died because nobody used it but on the other hand, you say that RVU (as an industry-wide standard) will thrive because a miniscule number of DIRECTV customers could (if they wanted to give up their tuners)?

Relative to the number of TV's sold, how many do you think might be used as DIRECTV HMC clients? I'll bet the number is smaller than 1/100,000 (a relatively random but completely defensible number).

If you were a manufacturer, would you seek certification ($$$$$) on such a feature knowing how few might use it?

As a retailer, would you be able to use RVU compliance to entice enough customers into a sale to tell your sales staff about it?

Will RVU ever rise to the level of a logo that appears in retail storefronts if DIRECTV is the only source of servers?

#31 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 387 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 01:08 AM

I'm leaning towards no 2012 DLNA enabled bluray player supporting this maybe 2013 well see 2 or 3 that support this & come with proper remote.

#32 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,030 posts

Posted 31 March 2012 - 07:07 PM

There's been no movement (FCC/UL approvals, etc) on the C31 that I can find.DIRECTV delivered the OWLink and look where that went. What makes you think that DIRECTV drives the CE industry?On the one hand you insist that DIVX died because nobody used it but on the other hand, you say that RVU (as an industry-wide standard) will thrive because a miniscule number of DIRECTV customers could (if they wanted to give up their tuners)?

Relative to the number of TV's sold, how many do you think might be used as DIRECTV HMC clients? I'll bet the number is smaller than 1/100,000 (a relatively random but completely defensible number).

If you were a manufacturer, would you seek certification ($$$$$) on such a feature knowing how few might use it?

As a retailer, would you be able to use RVU compliance to entice enough customers into a sale to tell your sales staff about it?

Will RVU ever rise to the level of a logo that appears in retail storefronts if DIRECTV is the only source of servers?

I don't care what the FCC says, an rvu client from DirecTV will show up. they don't usually get sent to FCC till they are ready to go. I can only hope they decided to make any client smaller than what we saw from ces, and able to connect to multiple rvu servers at a min, and maybe even do mrv if possible. I almost expect them to make the rvu client the size of a roku or applet tv.

Rvu will be fine if it never goes beyond DirecTV. It's a way to make something happen for DirecTV, just like deca was. Its not meant to be a substitution for entirely different standard being used by most people, like divix was meant to be. At some point, a hmc server and rvu clients will be the majority if not the only kind of install DirecTV does. DirecTV does not require other manufacturers to create rvu devices to make use of rvu if they create their own client. It would be nice, but it's not necessary.

Rvu won't die like divix because it will be used by someone no matter what. Divix died because no one wanted to use it at all. Big difference, and not at all the same situation either. Most technologies like rvu and moca get tweaked or have similar but completely technologies at multiple manufacturers and survive just fine. Heck, dish has a rvu type system now with its Joey hopper setup. It's not identical, but it's the same concept and same end result to the user.

#33 OFFLINE   tc3400

tc3400

Mentor

• Registered
  • 44 posts

Posted 03 June 2013 - 08:25 PM

Is there some way thruogh software update that between samsung and directv that the samsung could go into standby, but stay connected to the 34 or 44 so it doesn't take so long to conect. when the tv is turned on?

spam firewall