Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

612 1080I black bars on left and right side

hr34

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bigbuni

bigbuni

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:28 AM

had dish out to install 612, when he left everything was good for an hour or so. Then i had to unplug the receiver to move it to its permanent location (was running my own quad shielded RG6 through the walls to prevent ugly RG6 on the exterior of the house). when i plugged back in i get black bars on the side of all programming including HD. TV is set to put out at 1080i, reveiver is set for 1080i. The weird thing is when you push cancel and the channel bar displays on the top it is full screen, while the HD or SD remains with black bars, even the guide comes up full screen (though the last line is half cut off on the bottom). I have tried everything to fix this, reset reciever, check switch, adjusted tv to 720, then 480, then 1080 again, adjusted receiver to 720 then 480, then back to 1080, no help. I will check again when i get home from work.
I had this issue with a 211 a while back on another tv but i was able to zoom the hd with no problem, when i zoom the hd here it cuts off way too much to be acceptable. Any ideas? had 211 hooked to to this prior to the tech visit with no issues, 612 worked fine for an hour. (also had upgraded my programming, but receiver kept saying i had to purchase package) Any ideas on what to look for here? we plan to get a LED or LCD soon, but until then are stuck with this projection TV using the red green blue HD inputs.
Thanks

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,528 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:42 AM

Try the format (asterisk) button on the remote. It cycles through several zoom modes on the receiver, and grey/black bars as well.

It could be your receiver rather than your HDTV that is the problem.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#3 OFFLINE   bigbuni

bigbuni

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 11:47 AM

I have tried adjusting both the tv settings and the receiver settings for HD and SD (* and pageup down i believe).
The only things i have been able to do are get a giant picture or live with the bars. It is almost like it is squeezing the HD pictures is. i know it is the reciever output as the program info when you push cancel (pops up with channel info and current program) is perfect size (it goes out on to the black bar areas).

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,528 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Assuming you setup the receiver output correctly in the HDTV setup (for 720p or 1080i and 16x9 aspect ratio)... then it sounds like the * key is the one you need to be cycling through to set things.

You should see something on the channel banner like "normal" or "zoom" or whatever just underneath the left-side of the banner to indicate what mode the receiver is in... You should want "normal" on HD channels. For SD channels you might want "normal" or "grey bar" or I suppose you might want to zoom or stretch since some people do that, though I don't.

#5 OFFLINE   bigbuni

bigbuni

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 12:16 PM

I will double check on this when i get home from work. I thought i had already tried it, but you never know.

#6 OFFLINE   bigbuni

bigbuni

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:27 PM

dont know for a fact, but i think it did a software update as it has a little banner across the bottom of the guide now (which fits better on the screen) and the dish on demand is working and it has corrected the black bar issue for now. fingers crossed that it stays working.

#7 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,528 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:35 PM

That's good news... though it certainly would have been nice to know for sure why it wasn't behaving properly before.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hr34

spam firewall