Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#241 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 14 July 2012 - 11:41 PM

My D* Everywhere app doesn't see my Nomad. Shouldn't it?

#242 OFFLINE   Rtm

Rtm

Godfather

• Registered
  • 408 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:04 AM

They hired the marketing department (all the d* everywhere commercials) before they got the product out the door.

Like if Apple, HTC, or Samsung released a new phone without text messaging then said it was coming later.

#243 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 04:32 AM

Nomad has its own app. Right now DIRECTV everywhere is tied to the main dtv apps, not the nomad apps.

#244 OFFLINE   GaryG

GaryG

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:46 AM

So, I can watch all my recorded DVR shows on my PC. But not on my iPad. I'm not sure I see the difference that would make them offer one but not the other.

Aren't they basically the same thing? A device connected to the same network as the DVR?
a happy camper with HD and VOD:)
HR21-100 wired ethernet
Samsung 61" 1080P 120Hz LED DLP
Denon AVR-4306 5.1 sound wired ethernet
Sony Bluray
CM 8 bowtie for locals
3 Win7 PCs on the network sharing media

#245 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,068 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 08:55 AM

They hired the marketing department (all the d* everywhere commercials) before they got the product out the door.

Like if Apple, HTC, or Samsung released a new phone without text messaging then said it was coming later.

You mean like Apple did with Cut/Paste on the iPhone?

Many companies do stuff like that. It's called rushing your product to market before the competition gets their's there.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#246 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 15 July 2012 - 12:47 PM

So, I can watch all my recorded DVR shows on my PC. But not on my iPad. I'm not sure I see the difference that would make them offer one but not the other.

Aren't they basically the same thing? A device connected to the same network as the DVR?

They haven't built a program for an iPad to do that yet. I can only hope, for as I think they will make it go through the nomad if/when we get it.

#247 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,803 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 15 July 2012 - 02:55 PM

I'd like to see this along with access to the TODO list and the series manager.

#248 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:28 AM

Not entirely true. You can stream DVR content to laptops currently.

As long as you're at home. Leave the comfort of your home LAN and it is a different story.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#249 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 16 July 2012 - 08:30 AM

We also probably shouldn't be confused by a non-DirecTV subscriber.

I'm pretty sure any confusion or misinformation presented in this thread didn't come from a non-DIRECTV subscriber.

Subscribing has its benefits but omniscience isn't one of them.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#250 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 12:01 PM

DirecTV2PC requires a computer with a processor and graphics card that are pretty powerful. I'm guessing that the iPad/iPhone, and most Android devices just wouldn't be up to task to stream the recording, decode it, apply the proper coopy protection stuff, etc. in order to properly display the recordings. That is why you need the Nomad, it takes the recording from your DVR and transcodes it into a smaller, easier to use file that those devices can handle.

I'm also wondering if the content owners (the studios, channels, etc) aren't the ones forcing DirecTV to downscale everything to SD for the portable copies, and enforcing the 30 day limit on how long the files are good for. They don't want you to be able to make your own high quality HD copies that you can keep forever, they want you to buy them instead from places like the iTunes store etc.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#251 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

I'm pretty sure any confusion or misinformation presented in this thread didn't come from a non-DIRECTV subscriber.

Subscribing has its benefits but omniscience isn't one of them.

Well since you said streaming from a hd dvr can't be done, and we all know it can to a pc right now in the home, I'd say you offer up more incorrect statements than anyone else in this thread has. And since your the one that doesn't have DIRECTV.......

#252 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,909 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 July 2012 - 06:08 PM

I was getting ready to post the same thing! Thanks, Ink!

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#253 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:14 AM

Well since you said streaming from a hd dvr can't be done, and we all know it can to a pc right now in the home, I'd say you offer up more incorrect statements than anyone else in this thread has. And since your the one that doesn't have DIRECTV.......

In the home is MRV/WHDS (assuming you have a capable computer and the uncommon ability to set it up). Away from home is streaming.

While WHDS is a rarefied form of streaming, it has some very special qualifications that make it different from what most people are seeking for when they say streaming. The fact that so many are convinced that iDevice streaming content is coming from their DVRs is proof of that.

#254 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 18 July 2012 - 08:41 AM

The fact that so many are convinced that iDevice streaming content is coming from their DVRs is proof of that.

And who are those people? Are they on this board? About how many hold that mistaken belief?
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#255 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,409 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 18 July 2012 - 04:57 PM

And who are those people? Are they on this board? About how many hold that mistaken belief?

You'll find a number of posts from those who do or once believed it to be true in this thread.

#256 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:09 PM

In the home is MRV/WHDS (assuming you have a capable computer and the uncommon ability to set it up). Away from home is streaming.

While WHDS is a rarefied form of streaming, it has some very special qualifications that make it different from what most people are seeking for when they say streaming. The fact that so many are convinced that iDevice streaming content is coming from their DVRs is proof of that.

!rolling. Only a non DIRECTV sub would think it was difficult to setup the directv2pc app. It's super easy, and installs just like any other program. Nothing to it, so no, it takes no uncommon ability to use it.

And it's streaming, period. Just because it's not going outside the home and is of higher quality doesn't mean it's not streaming. It's not like computers have access cards to verify that they are on the same account like a receiver does. The only requirement is that they are on the same network. Kind of like how streaming music form an iPad to an appletv works. That's streaming just the same.

#257 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,218 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:10 PM

You'll find a number of posts from those who do or once believed it to be true in this thread.

Wait, so when something new comes out and they dot know how it works, if they first assume it might work one way, that is justification for your argument? Not to mention that particular argument makes no sense anyway, as to trying to use that as a reason for justifying that directv2pc isn't streaming, because public perception has nothing to do with wether or not it actually is or what someone is after.

Reality is, if you can play content from one device on a different device live over a network, you are streaming it.

#258 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts

Posted 18 July 2012 - 05:50 PM

Er, how many? It's not incumbent upon me to back up wild claims that you made.

So, how many?

#259 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 10:27 PM

ftr - I was making a product suggestion - that the Nomad and D* Everywhere app be combined, thus the use of "shouldn't it" as opposed to "should it"

#260 ONLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,307 posts

Posted 20 July 2012 - 11:53 PM

Er, how many? It's not incumbent upon me to back up wild claims that you made.

So, how many?

?

A reply would be "manly".

Protected By... spam firewall...And...