Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#261 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 12:00 PM

I've moved some receivers around in the house and renamed a few on D*'s website. Should those changes take effect on the IPAD App? The App is still reflecting the old names.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#262 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 01:21 PM

I've moved some receivers around in the house and renamed a few on D*'s website. Should those changes take effect on the IPAD App? The App is still reflecting the old names.

Did you change the name in the whole home section of the menu on the receivers themselves? I can't recall which it pulls the name from. It also may just take a while to load the new names.

#263 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 28 July 2012 - 02:42 PM

Did you change the name in the whole home section of the menu on the receivers themselves? I can't recall which it pulls the name from. It also may just take a while to load the new names.

Ran some errands, came back and it had updated. It pulls from the name given on the website rather than the name on the rcvrs.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#264 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:42 PM

[quote name='Stuart Sweet']Take your DIRECTV with you with streaming outside the home![/quote][quote name='Justin23']So the live streaming to iPad outside the home still doesn't include live tv support?[/QUOTE][quote name='keith_benedict']I'm trying to figure out what this App does and doesn't do with regard to streaming outside the home.

Can I stream live TV?

Can I stream my recorded shows?

Can I stream VOD?

Are there any limitations to streaming VOD? I am not a premium subscriber.[/QUOTE][quote name='Marzo']I can't get it to work outside of my home wifi network. The app works fine while connected to my home network, but when trying to connect on another network, the updated app simply tells me to connect to my home wifi network in order to view live programming. Am I misunderstanding the fundamental meaning of watching Directv "everywhere?"[/QUOTE]

[quote name='itzme']Here's how I misunderstood DTV Everywhere, and tell me if I was alone on this. The first thing I tried to do was play a recording in my playlist to my iPad. I couldn't. It doesn't.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='VLaslow']I saw the app update in the iTunes app store. I got really excited; I can see Live TV Everywhere! Where's my wife, she needs to see this!

Rushed to download and install it. Wait a minute. Why won't it stream? Oops, it's not going to stream anything of real value to me.

I've been around a long time, I am technically competent, I am fairly cynical and I was totally "taken in" by the description of this update. I can only imagine what will happen to the mindset of someone without that background.

Marketing hype all the way![/QUOTE]

[quote name='lugnutathome']The fisrt look text is pretty clear withot stating directly it won't live stream outside the barn now that I read it again.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='TBlazer07']Maybe I am confused on how this works. Trying this from home now.

I "Touch" the "Watch on iPad" tab on the bottom of the screen
Screen now says "DirecTV Everywhere in large font on top.
There are 4 tabs: Live TV, Movies, TV Shows, Networks

First I touch the "Networks" Tab and it shows I am "subscribed to" Encore & Starz (Which I am NOT) and AUD (which I do get).

Then I touch "AUD" which I do get and it says "AUD programs you can watch from your iPad," ALL is selected, and the screen is BLANK.

Then I touch Starz and Encore (which I AM NOT subscribed to) and it shows hundreds of programs I CANNOT watch because I'm not subscribed.

Then I go to LIVE TV where there is lots of stuff listed but you say I can't watch any of that outside my home.

So it seems I can't watch ANYTHING. It says I can watch channels I don't get (starz & encore) with plenty of listings but there are no listings under the 1 channel I do get (AUD). Of course all the PPV channels are there.

How they can call this "DirecTV ANYWHERE" is confusing. For me at least it's DirecTV NOWHERE.

It's not really a big deal as I will rarely if ever use it but I still am curious as I must be missing something here.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='raott']Am I doing something wrong or is the name of this App and the First Look very misleading.

I am at a hotel and outside of my network. I attempted to access a live streaming feed but am told that I am not connected to an HD DVR. (I see others have posted similar issues).

The First Look indicates that "On Demand" content will stream but then also says "Live TV streaming outside is easy to use and the quality can be very good"

Does this App stream Live TV outside the network or not?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='SteelDog']Was very disappointed to hear this. Hopefully they expand soon. I go on many business trips and was hoping to be able to watch all my content via iPad.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Kev4Bama']With this app can you access and watch shows on your DVR like you can with Directv2pc?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='GaryG']Am I missing something? A few weeks ago my iPad used to show Play on TV AND Play on iPad for the things I had recorded on the DVR.

With the latest iPad update and the DVR update I only see Play on TV for recorded programs. Everything else seems to work fine.

Can't I watch recorded programs any longer?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Laxguy']And who are those people? Are they on this board? About how many hold that mistaken belief?[/QUOTE]Here's a partial list of those who were offering confusing information or were confused about what kind of streaming support the iPad app offers. The total is about nine posters who were either confused by DIRECTV's marketing language or the announcement post.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#265 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,248 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 29 July 2012 - 01:58 PM

Here's a partial list of those who were offering confusing information or were confused about what kind of streaming support the iPad app offers. The total is about nine posters who were either confused by DIRECTV's marketing language or the announcement post.

Thank you for the reply. I suspect there are now fewer than nine!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#266 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 02:19 PM

Thank you for the reply. I suspect there are now fewer than nine!

Or perhaps even more. The first look language hasn't changed. After talking about how the App has always been great inside the home, it still reads that "live TV" streaming is available "outside". It even opines that it is "easy to use" and the "quality can be very good".

The wording really needs to be changed.

#267 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:14 PM

Or perhaps even more.

My original claim was that there were several posters and I found most of them. Of those that didn't post, hopefully the repeated explanations by myself and others have helped them to better understand the reality versus the apparent claims.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#268 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 05:39 PM

DIRECTV Everywhere is a name given to a type of service just like Whole Home DVR.

There are different aspects of the service and requirements based on functionality. The confusion comes from a mix of assumptions and lack of distinction between options that would not be possible in ads without making them overwhelming.

If you go to the website and see the different products the requirements are actually very clear.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#269 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,734 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:07 PM

If you go to the website and see the different products the requirements are actually very clear.

Unfortunately for those who don't read the fine print or follow a gauntlet of links, the story begins with this sentence:

With DIRECTV, you can watch your favorite movies and TV shows anywhere, on your computer, tablet, or phone, as well as your TV.

Anywhere is a relatively small patch of ground in some cases (unless "your favorite movies and TV shows" happen to be amongst those offered).

#270 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:28 PM

Unfortunately for those who don't read the fine print or follow a gauntlet of links, the story begins with this sentence:

Anywhere is a relatively small patch of ground in some cases (unless "your favorite movies and TV shows" happen to be amongst those offered).

There are products and services that can allow you to watch your favorite movies and TV shows anywhere. The Nomad falls into the DIRECTV Everywhere family as well.

You already know that marketing gives you the basic information needed or should I start referencing Hopper/Joey adds for the same issue.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#271 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,135 posts

Posted 29 July 2012 - 06:33 PM

There are products and services that can allow you to watch your favorite movies and TV shows anywhere. The Nomad falls into the DIRECTV Everywhere family as well.

You already know that marketing gives you the basic information needed or should I start referencing Hopper/Joey adds for the same issue.

Nothing wrong with marketing giving "basic information", however if that information leads your customers to false expectations (and don't blame the customer if you cannot deliver an effective message), nothing good comes from it.

#272 OFFLINE   jidelite

jidelite

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:24 PM

I've browsed all the posts here but I'm not sure I found a definitive answer...I'm inside my house using the 1.5.0 app and I subscribe to HBO. However, when I go to Watch on iPad => Networks and filter on HBO Series to view a series (HBO On Demand) I get - Video Player, Video Streaming is Temp. unavailable please try again (2100). So is streaming On Demand truely unavailable?

Thanks,
jidelite

#273 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 07:46 PM

I've browsed all the posts here but I'm not sure I found a definitive answer...I'm inside my house using the 1.5.0 app and I subscribe to HBO. However, when I go to Watch on iPad => Networks and filter on HBO Series to view a series (HBO On Demand) I get - Video Player, Video Streaming is Temp. unavailable please try again (2100). So is streaming On Demand truely unavailable?

Thanks,
jidelite

Have you tried the HBO Go app? It's worked well for me.

#274 OFFLINE   jidelite

jidelite

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:09 PM

Have you tried the HBO Go app? It's worked well for me.

banditt76 - Yes, the HBO GO app works fine and I can stream 'all' episodes - the DirecTV app for my iPad no. One thing I didn't mention, my iPad (iOS 5.1.1) is jailbroken but everything seems to work except streaming...

jidelite

#275 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:49 PM

banditt76 - Yes, the HBO GO app works fine and I can stream 'all' episodes - the DirecTV app for my iPad no. One thing I didn't mention, my iPad (iOS 5.1.1) is jailbroken but everything seems to work except streaming...

jidelite

I just tried to use the iPad app for HBO On Demand and am getting the same error as you. I'm jailbroken too so I can't tell you if that is the reason for the error or not.

#276 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,125 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:55 PM

jidelite

Jail broken is your first issue. Un break it and then see, and then if it doesn't work we can start to ponder how to fix it. Till then nothing we can even suggest. Mine works fine, and it's not jail broken.

#277 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 08:58 PM

Jail broken is your first issue. Un break it and then see, and then if it doesn't work we can start to ponder how to fix it. Till then nothing we can even suggest. Mine works fine, and it's not jail broken.

I couldn't care less about on demand content on my iPad. It will be a cold day in hell before I give up my jailbreak. :eek2:

#278 OFFLINE   jidelite

jidelite

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 July 2012 - 09:43 PM

inkahauts, It's all good! Thanks for verifying that On Demand streaming does indeed work and its probably not working for me due to my iPad being jailbroken. Everything else seems to work with the app so I guess I'll leave it asis for now knowing that I've broken a piece of it :)...

jidelite

#279 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 02:31 AM

Apparently the only things that work on the the "DirecTV Everywhere" screen, when outside your home network, are the Movies - which they want you to pay $4 to watch, along with any premium movie channels that you currently subscribe to and already offer their own apps to do the same thing. The Movies tab is for D* Cinema; the TV Shows and Networks tabs are just two different methods to access the same stuff, and the "Live TV" tab on the DIRECTV Everywhere portion is just a tease - or a programming error in the app - or pending some sort of negotiation with the content providers.

Looking at my router logs, it seems that the live tv streaming to the iPad within your own home network is still being streamed from the internet, not the receivers.

So I guess the question is: when will a deal be done to allow the live tv already being streamed from directv servers to be accessed outside the house.

Edited by Fraaaak, 31 July 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#280 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,500 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 31 July 2012 - 05:02 AM

I just tried '127 Hours' the first entry in HBO Network and it works fine. Stock iPad2.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

Protected By... spam firewall...And...