Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#281 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,957 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 31 July 2012 - 07:35 AM

You already know that marketing gives you the basic information needed or should I start referencing Hopper/Joey adds for the same issue.

The difference there is that the other guys offer solutions that work substantially without inexplicable conditions.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#282 OFFLINE   Fraaaak

Fraaaak

Legend

• Registered
  • 143 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 11:35 AM

I just tried '127 Hours' the first entry in HBO Network and it works fine. Stock iPad2.

Yes, as I said - premium movie channels and D* Cinema work fine outside your home network - it is the "Live TV" portion that does not.

#283 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 12:38 PM

Yes, as I said - premium movie channels and D* Cinema work fine outside your home network - it is the "Live TV" portion that does not.

I believe that is because DirecTV does not have the rights to stream those Live channels to you outside your home at this time. I'm thinking we may see this happen eventually though, and the Viacomm channels might be some of the first to go live since their deal was just completed and specifically included streaming rights of some kind.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#284 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,337 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:16 PM

Apparently the only things that work on the the "DirecTV Everywhere" screen, when outside your home network, are the Movies - which they want you to pay $4 to watch, along with any premium movie channels that you currently subscribe to and already offer their own apps to do the same thing. The Movies tab is for D* Cinema; the TV Shows and Networks tabs are just two different methods to access the same stuff, and the "Live TV" tab on the DIRECTV Everywhere portion is just a tease - or a programming error in the app - or pending some sort of negotiation with the content providers.

Looking at my router logs, it seems that the live tv streaming to the iPad within your own home network is still being streamed from the internet, not the receivers.

So I guess the question is: when will a deal be done to allow the live tv already being streamed from directv servers to be accessed outside the house.

Your last line is key. It appears to all be about rights. I have a sneaky suspicion that the Viacom channels will be the first.

There really is no point in having the linear HBO channel available, whatever is on it is on demand, so the only real difference is you can always start from the beginning.. I think the same is true for the other premiums that are not here as well. If everything that could be on live is available for instant streaming, what would be the reason to offer live channel feed?

I don't think live channel fee are needed for channels that have their full library on demand, although I don't think that will ever be anything more than the premiums.

#285 OFFLINE   jidelite

jidelite

• Registered
  • 4 posts

Posted 31 July 2012 - 10:16 PM

inkahauts, It's all good! Thanks for verifying that On Demand streaming does indeed work and its probably not working for me due to my iPad being jailbroken. Everything else seems to work with the app so I guess I'll leave it asis for now knowing that I've broken a piece of it :)...

jidelite

Update - decided to delete and reinstall the app and now On Demand along with everything else is working.

jidelite

#286 OFFLINE   Yoda-DBSguy

Yoda-DBSguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,083 posts
  • LocationA Galaxy Far, Far Away.....

Posted 20 August 2012 - 02:59 AM

I couldn't care less about on demand content on my iPad. It will be a cold day in hell before I give up my jailbreak. :eek2:

pickme:

You don't have to give up your jailbreak in order to use the app!!!

I'm using the latest version of the app (1.6.6) just fine on my jailbroken iPad3 running the latest firmware (iOS5.1.1); after installing a little tweak via cydia of course.

*Since jailbreaking is NOT illegal, I'll post how I got around the jailbreak block. If anyone is insterested simply do the following:

1. open cydia

2. click on "sources" located nest to and just left of "search" on the bottom of the page. then click on "edit" which is found on the top right of the screen. Select "add" at the top left of the screen and add the following source after the prefilled http://
n00neimp0rtant.dyndns.org/repo/

The three odd looking characters above are numeric Zeros not the letter O!

3. After the source is added, click on "search" on the bottom right of the screen and type the following:
xCon (your looking for the 37~beta6 version)
Select and install the package.

4. After the package is finished installing, respring or reboot your iPad.

5. Once you resprung or rebooted, simply open the DirecTV Everywhere app and you should be "golden".

Edited by Yoda-DBSguy, 20 August 2012 - 03:04 AM.

#287 OFFLINE   banditt76

banditt76

Godfather

• Registered
  • 266 posts

Posted 20 August 2012 - 07:00 AM

pickme:

You don't have to give up your jailbreak in order to use the app!!!

I'm using the latest version of the app (1.6.6) just fine on my jailbroken iPad3 running the latest firmware (iOS5.1.1); after installing a little tweak via cydia of course.

*Since jailbreaking is NOT illegal, I'll post how I got around the jailbreak block. If anyone is insterested simply do the following:

1. open cydia

2. click on "sources" located nest to and just left of "search" on the bottom of the page. then click on "edit" which is found on the top right of the screen. Select "add" at the top left of the screen and add the following source after the prefilled http://

n00neimp0rtant.dyndns.org/repo/

The three odd looking characters above are numeric Zeros not the letter O!

3. After the source is added, click on "search" on the bottom right of the screen and type the following:
xCon (your looking for the 37~beta6 version)
Select and install the package.

4. After the package is finished installing, respring or reboot your iPad.

5. Once you resprung or rebooted, simply open the DirecTV Everywhere app and you should be "golden".

OK after going back and looking at this thread it is not what I thought it was. I thought this was the 1.6.6 version thread. They must have merged some things together. I am on MacRumors and learn all my Apple related stuff there, not here. I appreciate the help, but it was not needed, for me at least. I have been jailbreaking my iPad since it came out in 2010.

Edited by banditt76, 20 August 2012 - 07:20 AM.

LG 47" 1080p LCD--DirecTV HR24-200 HD DVR--Magnavox Blu-Ray--JVC 5.1 DTS Surround Sound
I have never worked for DirecTV, but have learned many things over the years since being a customer from 2002-Today, except for my stint with DISH.

#288 OFFLINE   Birdieman30

Birdieman30

AllStar

• Registered
  • 68 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:54 PM

With apologies to Inigo Montoya, to DirecTv: You keep using this word "Everywhere".
I do not think it means what you think it means.

#289 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 27 September 2012 - 09:58 PM

With apologies to Inigo Montoya, to DirecTv: You keep using this word "Everywhere".
I do not think it means what you think it means.

Everywhere means everywhere your router reaches. Major marketing fail for directv.

#290 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,852 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 28 September 2012 - 03:39 PM

In other news TiVo updated their app so it once again works on Jailbroken devices. You can remote control, browse and search the guide and set recordings. TiVo2go streaming is just disabled. This is the correct way to handle this... Disabling the feature your scared that jail breakers will use. Blocking the entire app is the lazy route and major kudo's to TiVo for acknowledging that fact. Also since their app opens and runs for the basic functions... People are less likely to write and install workarounds that just waste the developers time.

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#291 OFFLINE   SteelDog

SteelDog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 22 October 2012 - 01:07 PM

Is there an iPad app that allows you to watch your entire play list from your DVRs on the iPad? I thought this app would get the job done but it disappoints. I can accomplish via my PC but no equivalent application for the iPad from Direct TV? What gives?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...