Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#61 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Pretty sweet! Is doing this on a PC laptop even in the cards?

HBOGo and MAXGo have been available for some time to DIRECTV customers.

DIRECTV is finally getting serious about "authentication".

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#62 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,419 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

I'm trying to figure out what this App does and doesn't do with regard to streaming outside the home.

See post #14.

The app provides authentication for direct feeds from the networks DIRECTV's Internet servers, not from your DVR.

Edited by harsh, 22 March 2012 - 11:54 PM.
corrected

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#63 OFFLINE   Marzo

Marzo

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 21 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:25 AM

I can't get it to work outside of my home wifi network. The app works fine while connected to my home network, but when trying to connect on another network, the updated app simply tells me to connect to my home wifi network in order to view live programming. Am I misunderstanding the fundamental meaning of watching Directv "everywhere?"

#64 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:27 AM

See post #14.

The app provides authentication for direct feeds from the networks, not from your DVR.

OK, so, unless you're a premium subscriber, there's really no reason to jump up and down for this.

#65 ONLINE   RD in Fla

RD in Fla

Icon

• Registered
  • 523 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:31 AM

I can't get it to work outside of my home wifi network. The app works fine while connected to my home network, but when trying to connect on another network, the updated app simply tells me to connect to my home wifi network in order to view live programming. Am I misunderstanding the fundamental meaning of watching Directv "everywhere?"

+1

#66 OFFLINE   marmbruster71455

marmbruster71455

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:46 AM

+1

+2 - I have an iPad 1 - perhaps > iPad 1 is a requirement?

#67 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:49 AM

Yeah. DIRECTV Everywhere is really an inaccurate statement. I still cannot watch recorded shows from my DVR on my iPad. It seems to me, all this added is the ability to watch HBO and Cinemax (to which I don't subscribe) and Audience and Sony MC (which rarely have much of interest).

When I can, at the very least, watch shows that I've recorded on my iPad, it will finally be useful to me. Until then, it's just a novelty.

#68 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:51 AM

+2 - I have an iPad 1 - perhaps > iPad 1 is a requirement?

+3

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#69 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:52 AM

You're not misunderstanding anything. DIRECTV is.

#70 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:00 PM

Works find on my home network (which is rarely where I would want to use it (distributing new recordings not withstanding)). So far unable to tell difference from this and prior version when not in the "nest" Keeps reading loading, doesn't allow button presses to work.

Kinda useless. Is there some setup tab I'm missing?

Don "searching for its home base is pretty much all it does" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#71 OFFLINE   mjwagner

mjwagner

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:18 PM

Updated the app to 1.5.x. No problems with the update itself.

Have not yet tried live TV streaming off my home network so can't comment on functionality. Still no streaming of DVR content to iPad while on home network.

The following bugs/issues that have existed since the first release have still not been corrected (can we PLEASE fix #2):

Does not take advantage of iOS multitasking (starts from scratch whenever you leave the app and then return).
No way to dismiss the detail dialog in guide list view mode.
Data listed in the sports tab for many sports (golf and NASCAR in particular but I have honestly not checked them all) is incorrect/incomplete. Completed in particular seems to have issues.
In the movies tab, Browse Movies/What's on Now does not list all the movies currently playing "now".
Search results are inconsistent at best and just wrong many times.

Some of these problems are clearly issues with the back end data feeds and not the app itself but it still causes the app to be less than functional. It sure would be nice if they assigned some of the folks they have developing "new" features/functions to work on fixing stuff that still does not work!
Mark

HR34-700, Epson PowerLite Pro Cinema 1080 UB Projector
HR21-200, Samsung UN-60ES8000
C31, Samsung PN-42A450
H25-700, Samsung LN-S3296D

#72 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,566 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:25 PM

Here's how I misunderstood DTV Everywhere, and tell me if I was alone on this. The first thing I tried to do was play a recording in my playlist to my iPad. I couldn't. It doesn't.

#73 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,923 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:42 PM

There is no current connection to play a DVR recording on the iPad other than nomad.

We're all looking for a Directv2PC type of player for the iPad.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#74 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:45 PM

There is no current connection to play a DVR recording on the iPad other than nomad.

We're all looking for a Directv2PC type of player for the iPad.

Yeah, I get that. I've been waiting for this as well.

Frankly, I doubt they will add it. If they do, there's no need to buy Nomad.

#75 OFFLINE   John4924

John4924

Icon

• Registered
  • 606 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Yeah. DIRECTV Everywhere is really an inaccurate statement. I still cannot watch recorded shows from my DVR on my iPad. It seems to me, all this added is the ability to watch HBO and Cinemax (to which I don't subscribe) and Audience and Sony MC (which rarely have much of interest).

When I can, at the very least, watch shows that I've recorded on my iPad, it will finally be useful to me. Until then, it's just a novelty.

Agreed..this is just a big nothing burger. All hat & no cattle.

#76 OFFLINE   kevinturcotte

kevinturcotte

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,942 posts
  • LocationOutside Portland, ME

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:06 PM

I don't think they'll add the ability to watch recorded programs. That's what the Nomad is for. I think that concept is stupid, it should just be integrated right into Tv Everywhere, but don't see it happening.

#77 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:23 PM

I'd be happy if it allowed streaming of the channels it supports on your home network (like SyFy or USa or Bravo) "anywhere" - but it doesn't. When I try to watch these channels while off my local wifi network it tells me that it "can't find an HD DVR" and that I need to "connect to my home network."

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#78 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

Has there been any talk of porting this to the iPhone? That would be cool.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#79 OFFLINE   islesfan

islesfan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,652 posts
  • LocationNevada

Posted 22 March 2012 - 03:50 PM

I'd be happy if it allowed streaming of the channels it supports on your home network (like SyFy or USa or Bravo) "anywhere" - but it doesn't. When I try to watch these channels while off my local wifi network it tells me that it "can't find an HD DVR" and that I need to "connect to my home network."

I would like that too, but Sprint TV covers most of that for me on the iPhone.

Sony Bravia 55"
HR20-700
HR21-700
HDMI
HP Touchsmart IQ 846 (Windows 8) for DirecTV2PC and Media Share

GenieGO

iPhone 4S

iPad

#80 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:10 PM

Update on my earlier observations regarding not being able to stream (or find even the VOD lists). Seems a network firewall setting prevents such nonsense. One of my off hours companions here runs the telecom team and has a secure wireless hotspot we use for testing just such stuff.

When I tried live TV streaming it complained of not having a DVR on the network but I could scroll through the on demand movies and TV shows, select and watch them no problem. I assume get billed for the Cinema ones a tad too easily by brushing the screen in the wrong place.

Like to see the "for a fee" entries under a separate menu tab.

Switching back to our corporate wireless network and it just spins "Loading" Live TV Streaming and What's Hot and Channel Guide comes up empty.

So network firewall settings can preclude use of the iPad. I just toggled back and forth between the two networks and it is repeatable on both sides of the equation.

Fix the live streaming bit, and isolate the for pay choices from the free ones so charges don't accidentally happen and its a winner. Short of that a very very nice toy but not ready for prime time.

Don "what if dogs ran the world?" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

Protected By... spam firewall...And...