Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#81 OFFLINE   Earl Bonovich

Earl Bonovich

Lifetime Achiever

• Registered
  • 30,092 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 06:28 PM

... I assume get billed for the Cinema ones a tad too easily by brushing the screen in the wrong place.

Just to let you know, you won't be charged.

It is a two part process to actually purchase one, where you have to enter your password again.

So unless you went through the full process, and retyped in your password... you didn't purchase anything.
Earl - Gotta Love Karma

DIRECTV employee since April 2008.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#82 OFFLINE   NR4P

NR4P

Dad

• DBSTalk Club
  • 5,270 posts
  • LocationSunny Florida

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

Just had a chance to read this cover to cover since it was posted, thanks to Stuart and the contributors for a fine easy to read and understand document.

The live TV playing on my iPad is great. Excellent quality. Maybe someday the traditional networks like ABC, CBS etc will allow their content to be viewed like the typical SAT channels.

UPDATE
After watching 362 TWC the audio starting cutting out every other second. One sec on, one sec off. Video was fine. This occured after 15 mins of streaming. Closed app and reopened it and it cleared up.

Edited by NR4P, 22 March 2012 - 08:28 PM.
Found an Issue

#83 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,913 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:51 AM

Yeah, I get that. I've been waiting for this as well.

Frankly, I doubt they will add it. If they do, there's no need to buy Nomad.

Nomad is primarily for the traveler (nomad). It allows you to take your DVR recordings with you.

A directv2PC style of instant streaming would let you watch near live TV or a recording anywhere you don't have a TV in your home. . . deck, garage, etc.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#84 OFFLINE   tunce

tunce

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:31 AM

App is nice, but the meaning of "Everywhere" is not what they think. Everywhere does not mean localized it means wherever I roam about in the world. So this part of it is a BIG FAIL! What a joke Directv. Your marketing people are horrible!

As a normal person would be led to believe you could watch Live TV outside of your home network. :(
Tunce

HR34-700 w/AM21 | HR20-700 | H21-200 | SWiM | Slimline 3
Whole Home - External Antenna

#85 OFFLINE   Drew2k

Drew2k

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,063 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:37 AM

It is interesting to see how DISH describes their "TV Everywhere" service:

http://www.dish.com/.../tv-everywhere/

Watch your TV Everywhere™ - the same live channels and recorded shows you enjoy at home – anywhere you can access the Internet on your computer or mobile device. We call this "TV Everywhere™" and you're going to love it.

I did not dig into footnotes to see what the limitations and restrictions are, but it does seem to require Sling.

Regardless, "DIRECTV Everywhere" sounds a lot like "TV Everywhere", which is also used as a moniker for similar services from Comcast and Time Warner, so customers already have an expectation for the DIRECTV service...

#86 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:18 AM

Just to let you know, you won't be charged.

It is a two part process to actually purchase one, where you have to enter your password again.

So unless you went through the full process, and retyped in your password... you didn't purchase anything.

Thanks for that update. Makes isolating them moot!

I's obvious the team creating this app has been doing some amazing work! Make sure they know despite our critical commentary we appreciate the effort and look forward to its evolution.

Don "still waiting for 'History of the World part 2'" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#87 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:13 AM

I doubt we will ever see the ability to stream recordings from our DVRs to our portable devices. I think DirecTV2PC is just too data intensive and our internet speeds/portable devices won't be able to handle it.

Really, I don't think it will be needed anyway. My guess is DirecTV is hoping to get everyone to create huge On-Demand libraries like HBO Go and Max Go. Once all the channels get stuff set up like that you won't need to stream recordings from your DVR, you could just stream the same program from it's respective channels On-Demand library. Or if you want live TV you will just stream the channel live (once all the channels sign on).

Why not do it that way instead of trying to get our DVRs (which have enough going on in them already) to try to transcode and upload the files to the internet to stream it to you. Seems like it makes more sense for DirecTV or the channel providers just to make it available to you if you subscribe to their channel on DirecTV.

And if you don't have internet service where you are going that is what Nomad is for.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#88 OFFLINE   keith_benedict

keith_benedict

Godfather

• Registered
  • 311 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:14 AM

Thanks for that update. Makes isolating them moot!

I's obvious the team creating this app has been doing some amazing work! Make sure they know despite our critical commentary we appreciate the effort and look forward to its evolution.

Don "still waiting for 'History of the World part 2'" Bolton

Good point, Don.

I'm a software engineer as well. I know how annoying it is when your efforts are seemingly brushed off by the user community.

Good job team. I'm sure they want to include the features we're asking for. Directv problem either cannot let them, or will not let them.

#89 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,094 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

I doubt we will ever see the ability to stream recordings from our DVRs to our portable devices. I think DirecTV2PC is just too data intensive and our internet speeds/portable devices won't be able to handle it.

Maybe they can figure out a way to get Nomad to do transcoding on they fly and stream to remote devices? But as you your homes upstream speeds and/or data caps might be a bigger problem for many folks.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#90 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,991 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:11 AM

Maybe they can figure out a way to get Nomad to do transcoding on they fly and stream to remote devices? But as you your homes upstream speeds and/or data caps might be a bigger problem for many folks.

Maybe, but it would be a pain, and yes upstream speeds and caps would be a huge hurdle. Like I said though why bother. Makes more sense just to try to get all of the channels to create stuff like HBO and Max Go and sign a deal to let your subscribers use them, and then update the DirecTV app to access them directly so you don't have to have seperate apps for each channel.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#91 OFFLINE   JTDeel

JTDeel

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:16 AM

Has there been any talk of porting this to the iPhone? That would be cool.

I would like to know also. On the first page of the review it says
"Watch the same shows and movies you get at home from anywhere on your laptop,tablet or phone."

#92 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,954 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

.....Seems like it makes more sense for DirecTV or the channel providers just to make it available to you if you subscribe to their channel on DirecTV...

Exactly, it's called "cloud computing." :)

The integration and aggregation is key. Right now I have the following streaming apps on my iPad:

TNT
TBS
ABC
HBO Go
MAX Go
NetFlix
Hulu+
DirecTV Nomad
DirecTV iPad App
Slingplayer for iPad

And I have barely scratched the surface of what is available. Anything DirecTV can do to cut back on "app creep" would be welcome.

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#93 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

In reading your post I have been led to ponder. . . Is the term "app creep" a verb or a noun? :grin:

Don "sometimes the voices just take over" Bolton

Exactly, it's called "cloud computing." :)

The integration and aggregation is key. Right now I have the following streaming apps on my iPad:

TNT
TBS
ABC
HBO Go
MAX Go
NetFlix
Hulu+
DirecTV Nomad
DirecTV iPad App
Slingplayer for iPad

And I have barely scratched the surface of what is available. Anything DirecTV can do to cut back on "app creep" would be welcome.

#94 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:53 PM

I saw the app update in the iTunes app store. I got really excited; I can see Live TV Everywhere! Where's my wife, she needs to see this!

Rushed to download and install it. Wait a minute. Why won't it stream? Oops, it's not going to stream anything of real value to me.

I've been around a long time, I am technically competent, I am fairly cynical and I was totally "taken in" by the description of this update. I can only imagine what will happen to the mindset of someone without that background.

Marketing hype all the way!

#95 OFFLINE   stlmike

stlmike

Legend

• Registered
  • 207 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:31 PM

UPDATE
After watching 362 TWC the audio starting cutting out every other second. One sec on, one sec off. Video was fine. This occured after 15 mins of streaming. Closed app and reopened it and it cleared up.

Watching golf on 218, this happened to me as well. After about 10 minutes. Pressing done and restarting fixed it.

#96 OFFLINE   VLaslow

VLaslow

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,285 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

Make sure that in the system setup, under Whole Home, that External Devices is set to "Allow."

Stuart,

Does this mean that only Whole Home enabled viewers can use this app to its potential?

#97 OFFLINE   kvchief

kvchief

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

Has anyone gotten this app to work outside of home wi-fi yet? If so, what features of the app did you use successfully?

[I've been using an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1, and I do have whole-home service enabled on my connected DVRs. Still no luck outside of my home wi-fi.]

Everywhere? To quote a line from the Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." :lol:

#98 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,834 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:14 PM

Yes I have but as I noted earlier on this page or the one prior certain network firewall settings will preclude successful operation. I've no clue as to what they are but I have several wifi networks here ate work to test from and the wide open works great! Actually its a Sprint hotspot that does the deed. Our corporate wireless precludes it from operating.

When I can get it to work it does an instant demand view of movies and TV shows (and I would assume archived sports shows) but not stream live.

My biggest issue is that when it cannot find network services it can leverage, it keeps "Loading". There may be a valid reason they have not chosen a reasonable timeout to trapped condition so as to inform the user there is no serviceable network services present in the current location.

OR a stop Loading and report trap for when you are in home network and you toggle to a receiver that is MRV streaming which precludes the currently watching service from functioning. Again this reports "Loading" with an active spinner.

If streaming is detected that is fine just report that and end the spinner/Loading displays. My impression is that a process is still attempting to connect and consuming processor time (and battery) in attempt to achieve success and I get the impression the app is using the same port as the streaming process so it cannot get a response from a port that is already engaged? Just speculations that.

So far in my over developed Direct TV home infrastructure, for me the app's best use is as a centralized recording schedule and deployment vehicle. I would love to be able to drill into things like disk space, series records, and todo list someday.

Right now its a bit too "geek centric" for "JSP" but pretty cool nonetheless.

Don "rather impressive for only 16M of kibbles and bits if ya ask me" Bolton

Has anyone gotten this app to work outside of home wi-fi yet? If so, what features of the app did you use successfully?

[I've been using an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1, and I do have whole-home service enabled on my connected DVRs. Still no luck outside of my home wi-fi.]

Everywhere? To quote a line from the Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." :lol:

#99 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:46 PM

Just tried on a wifi net at bowling alley can't get it to anything but loading. Must be firewall issues

#100 OFFLINE   spidey

spidey

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,299 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:13 PM

Ok just connected now however live streaming blocked since no hd DVR on network. Naturally I am not at home so far disappointing app for live tv streaming outside the home

Edited by spidey, 23 March 2012 - 06:52 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...