Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#101 OFFLINE   pdb745

pdb745

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Is there any app that comes close to what the sling box will do? Granted, it isn't free.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#102 OFFLINE   Diana C

Diana C

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,766 posts
  • LocationNew Jersey

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:04 PM

In reading your post I have been led to ponder. . . Is the term "app creep" a verb or a noun? :grin:

Don "sometimes the voices just take over" Bolton

"App" is a noun, and "creep" is a verb (unless you're talking about my brother-in-law, in which case it is a pronoun) :)

Dish Network Customer from 9/1998-11/2001
DirecTV Customer 10/2001 - 7/2014

FiOS TV/TiVo Customer since 6/2014
Moderator, DBSDish.com 1999-2000
Co-Founder and Administrator, DBSForums.com 2000-2006

Current setup:
DirecTV: HR34-700 (1TB) / HR24-100 (1TB) / HR24-500 (1TB) / HR21-700 (320GB) / HR21-100 (1TB) / 2 H25s / C41-500 / SWiM16 / Nomad / CCK

FiOS: 2 Tivo Roamio Pros (6 TB total) / 5 Tivo Minis attached via MOCA

#103 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:16 PM

Ok just connected now however live streaming blocked since no hd DVR on network. Naturally I am not at home so far disappointing app for live tv streaming outside the home

The fisrt look text is pretty clear withot stating directly it won't live stream outside the barn now that I read it again. To be real the load on a shared wireless net probablly would make it pretty bad if you think it through

Don "off to chat with some cut ups" Bolton

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#104 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:42 AM

Eh... zzz...

How about remote management of DVR playlist and series recording / todo? Backup, move or copy series recordings, favorites or other settings to and from other receivers?

I downloaded this along with "the patch" and it works, just eh...

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#105 OFFLINE   kvchief

kvchief

Mentor

• Registered
  • 31 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:03 AM

Okay, so I tried at another location and the app does appear to function. However, about all I can do outside of home Wi-Fi is look at shows from Audience network. (I don't subscribe to any premium channels).

I, like others, appreciate the work that the developers and DirecTV are doing. I just hope this is the tip of the iceberg regarding features that will eventually be available.

Has anyone figured out what port(s) this is using? Unfortunately, the public wi-fi I was initially testing on only supports ports 80 and 443. It would be great if this app supported one of these standard ports.

#106 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:18 PM

It would be nice if the app could control the TV's volume.

I think there is an IR emitter on my H®24's because when you use the wizzard to program the remote, it appears to talk to it two-way. It could use that or maybe send an RF remote command and tell the remote to blast a vol + / - or mute command.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#107 OFFLINE   drpratt01

drpratt01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:13 PM

Just updated mine last night, video quality is actually pretty good. Would like to see Retina Graphics next update hopefully to support Gen3 ipad. (I got a gen3 on release day) A lot of pay content unless you sort by premium service. I'm never paying to rent a movie on my ipad. The live TV works so well I wish they would let you access all the channels you sub or your DVR list.

For those having problems app not finding the DVR's, give your boxes a static ip, if you don't know how just google how to do it. It's pretty easy won't take long. Then reboot your router & IRD's should be good 2 go.

Tried all of this and I am still seeing no connected DVRs from the latest application. The other function of this app - playing content to to my iPad - works fine. All 3 of of my DVRs + 2 HD receivers are all talking to each other as normal. The last version of this app worked. What next as the only thing that has changed is the updated app.

#108 OFFLINE   peds48

peds48

🙈🙉🙊📡

• DBSTalk Club
  • 9,475 posts
  • LocationLong Island, NY

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

It would be nice if the app could control the TV's volume.

I think there is an IR emitter on my H®24's because when you use the wizzard to program the remote, it appears to talk to it two-way. It could use that or maybe send an RF remote command and tell the remote to blast a vol + / - or mute command.

you might want to try the roomie remote control app. assuming that your TV can connect to your network and can accept IP commands like your DirecTV receiver does. pretty cool!

http://www.roomieremote.com/

#109 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,563 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:51 PM

Tried all of this and I am still seeing no connected DVRs from the latest application. The other function of this app - playing content to to my iPad - works fine. All 3 of of my DVRs + 2 HD receivers are all talking to each other as normal. The last version of this app worked. What next as the only thing that has changed is the updated app.

I get dropouts/nonconnects from time to time. Could be that it's phoning home and not getting through. Assuming you're quitting the app between tries? Please keep us posted!
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#110 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,694 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

I know this probably has been talked about before, but if we have D*2PC what's keeping them from doing D*2iPad, seems to me there would be no difference, or maybe they're working on it? ;)

#111 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

I know this probably has been talked about before, but if we have D*2PC what's keeping them from doing D*2iPad, seems to me there would be no difference, or maybe they're working on it? ;)

Or updating D*2PC to look like the iPad app along with streaming TV / DTV Everywhere.

That rookie remote looks cool. Would need some IR adapters though,

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#112 OFFLINE   xmguy

xmguy

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,902 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:43 PM

Here for a Android version!
DirecTV Subscriber Since 3/24/2008 || HR44-500 - SWiM and DECA to Vizio 32" LCD 1080P HDTV (SV320XVT) via HDMI | MY SETUP IN DETAIL UPDATED 3/21/2012 (Q1 2013 | I'm On FACEBOOK! "Originally Posted by xmguy : OK. I need directions. (to Sixto's house) Lol ;) | Originally Posted by Sea bass : Head down to 99c, skip over to 103ca, next over to 103cb and you have arrived.:)":hurah:

#113 OFFLINE   bones boy

bones boy

Godfather

• Registered
  • 274 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 02:46 PM

When sorting Movies from A-Z, movies starting with "The" really shouldn't be alphabetized under "T".
When browsing movies, the Ts take too many swipes to complete. Never noticed this on the DVRs. Just a suggestion.

#114 OFFLINE   drpratt01

drpratt01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I get dropouts/nonconnects from time to time. Could be that it's phoning home and not getting through. Assuming you're quitting the app between tries? Please keep us posted!

Yes, I am quitting the app between tries. I still get no DVRs connected. I don't even get a list of devices to add manually. What gives?

#115 OFFLINE   itzme

itzme

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,534 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:03 PM

you might want to try the roomie remote control app. assuming that your TV can connect to your network and can accept IP commands like your DirecTV receiver does. pretty cool!

http://www.roomieremote.com/

It seems to me that if you use an AVR, then it's the AVR that needs to accept iP commands, and not the tv.

#116 OFFLINE   lugnutathome

lugnutathome

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,629 posts
  • LocationWoodburn, OR

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:12 PM

Are you using the same network? Did a neighbor/roommate put up a new stronger wireless and you're just not in Kansas anymore according to the app?

Don "probably a dumb question but hey I specialize in them" Bolton

Yes, I am quitting the app between tries. I still get no DVRs connected. I don't even get a list of devices to add manually. What gives?

What's a dazzling urbanite like you doing in a rustic setting like this?

#117 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:57 PM

Yeah, I'm having issues with the new version of the app as well. All was fine, now on startup the app only detected my HR24. I manually entered the IP address of one of my HR23's and that is the only DVR the app sees unless I manually enter another one.

Whole home works on all three as does On Demand. Nothing has changed in my setup other than the new version of the app.

#118 OFFLINE   duck33

duck33

Legend

• Registered
  • 200 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:11 PM

Has anyone gotten this app to work outside of home wi-fi yet? If so, what features of the app did you use successfully?

[I've been using an iPad 2 running iOS 5.1, and I do have whole-home service enabled on my connected DVRs. Still no luck outside of my home wi-fi.]

Everywhere? To quote a line from the Princess Bride, "You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." :lol:

Yes, I have. I was able to tether my iPhone 4S (jailbroken) using MyWi 5.0 to my "New iPad." I watched about 20 mins of Bill Maher since I was at work.

**edited** Here is a snapshot I just took on my iPad while tethering from my 4S.

Now, If someone in the jailbreak community could create a tweak that would trick the DTV app to think its on your home network while tethering or using 3G/LTE, that would be awesome.

It's half way there already. 3G Unrestrictor tricks apps into thinking there on WIFI. Here: http://www.3gunrestrictor.com/

Attached Thumbnails

• DirecTV Everywhere.jpg

Edited by duck33, 26 March 2012 - 11:48 PM.

#119 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 758 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:20 AM

Now, If someone in the jailbreak community could create a tweak that would trick the DTV app to think its on your home network while tethering or using 3G/LTE, that would be awesome.[/URL]

And then people will sit around and complain that they just can't understand WHY D* is spending so much effort killing the JB workaround that lets them stream live TV away from home. That goes well beyond just "tweaking" your iPad through JB and it uses D* services in ways that they don't have license to offer them. You can expect to have nothing but problems with this once It happens.

#120 OFFLINE   drpratt01

drpratt01

• Registered
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:30 AM

Are you using the same network? Did a neighbor/roommate put up a new stronger wireless and you're just not in Kansas anymore according to the app?

Don "probably a dumb question but hey I specialize in them" Bolton

Yes all are on the same subnet and other iPads apps can see the DVRs (like DNLA media server players)

To Earl Bonovich since I cannot do private messages till 5 posts:
Yes - previous versiosn of the app work without issue. I have been using the DirecTV iPad app many months. Yes - when I go to setting there are no HDDVRs or HD receivers listed at all. Just a canned blurb with a web link on how to set up Whole Home. My 5 HDDVRs / HD receivers all talk to each other without issue. Finally I used the "http://reciever_ip:8080/info/getVersion" from my iPad I can reach all 5 receivers and get access card / reciever id etc. without issue so my iPad can see all 5 recievers.

spam firewall