Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

Well, now I have "AUD" programming to watch "Everywhere." Problem was I was on the "posters" display option which is empty, when I went to the "list" option AUD programming was there.

So aside from any free premium weekends ALL I get is AUD for free.

Seriously, the name "DirecTV Anywhere" certainly leaves the IMPRESSION, albeit admittedly wrong, that you can actually watch DirecTV anywhere, not just one channel (AUD) and any free premium weekends that might come up if you have no extra cost premium subs.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#142 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,619 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:05 PM

As an engineer, I was never fond of the marketing side of the business. The phrase "DirecTV Anywhere" actually implies no amount of channels.

If you're able to watch 1 channel from DirecTV, you're watching "DirecTV Anywhere".

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#143 OFFLINE   poppo

poppo

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,606 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:15 PM

The "Live TV" section in the "everywhere" tab is, unfortunately, still restricted to your home network. The other sections should work outside your home network though.

Yep, makes it pretty useless IMO. Plus just like the PC app, there does not appear to be any buffering, so if your connection is slow, you get crappy playback. Pausing stops the stream.

Hate to say it but Amazon Prime (what shows are available) plays great on the Kindle Fire. You can pause if need be, and it will keep buffering, even until the whole show is loaded. You can't exit without it starting over, but at least you get a great looking video even on the slowest connection.

#144 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:32 PM

As an engineer, I was never fond of the marketing side of the business. The phrase "DirecTV Anywhere" actually implies no amount of channels.

If you're able to watch 1 channel from DirecTV, you're watching "DirecTV Anywhere".

Yes, you are of course 100% correct but I'll bet if you asked 20 random people ON THE STREET (who aren't lawyers, advertising agents, marketing people or DirecTV apologists, fanatics or geeks like most of us) they would think differently. It depends on how you read it, like "How Long is a Chinaman" (sorry, Asian). :)

The first thing that would come to mind would be "GEE, that's neat, I can watch my DirecTV programming anywhere" and not "GEE I can watch the Audience channel anywhere as well as a couple premium channels if I $ub$cribe to them. Especially since a LOT of TV programming from the "cable/sat & network" channels are already available to stream legally and free over the web with just a browser one might think DirecTV is doing the same thing.

#145 OFFLINE   MrSmartyA

MrSmartyA

Mentor

• Registered
  • 43 posts

Posted 29 March 2012 - 06:39 PM

Where is the Android app?

Sorry, but I don 't buy Apple products.

#146 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 06:41 PM

Where is the Android app?

Sorry, but I don 't buy Apple products.

There is none yet. Haven't heard that there will be one but anything is possible.

#147 OFFLINE   Drex5000

Drex5000

• Registered
  • 7 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 08:27 PM

In terms of Android, I'm wondering how the Kindle Fire's hardware stacks up against Ipad 2/3 as it relates to DirecTV2PC. My wife has a Kindle Fire and at night I want to go to sleep and she wants to stay up watching television so she watches Netflix on the Kindle--would be even better for her (and really, me) if she could watch the DVR stuff on the Kindle :lol:

#148 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

I had the iPad app remember the login name and password. Today I wanted to try the DirecTV Everywhere beta on my laptop, but forgot the password, so I reset it and logged in my account on my laptop, only to find out the beta is not working for my account yet.

Anyhow after changing the password, I thought I would not be able to auto sign on to my iPad app, but it did. Shouldn't the username and password for both DirecTV.com and the DirecTV iPad app be the same?

If they are not the same, how do I even change the iPad app's log in name and password?

#149 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 02:18 PM

No one knows?

Changing password did not stop the iPad app from auto log in and start. I tried to delete the app then reinstall, only then it asked for the log in again.

Potentially a lost iPad can continue be used even if the log in password is changed later?

#150 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Topic Starter
  • Super Moderators
  • 36,874 posts

Posted 06 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Here's the official answer:

Changing your password on DIRECTV.com will not invalidate your saved token inside the iPad application.

Only a logout, or a deletion of the app will.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#151 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,578 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 06 April 2012 - 04:18 PM

Here's the official answer:

Changing your password on DIRECTV.com will not invalidate your saved token inside the iPad application.

Only a logout, or a deletion of the app will.

Sounds pretty definitive!
Mr. young: I am pretty sure there are ways to remotely disable your iPad should it become lost or stolen. I should look into it, as I just got a new one. You can certainly enable "Find my iPad", which I am about to do!
(:eek2:)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#152 OFFLINE   jacmyoung

jacmyoung

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,544 posts

Posted 09 April 2012 - 12:26 PM

Thank you both.

#153 OFFLINE   sda3

sda3

Mentor

• Registered
  • 48 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 11:50 AM

It won't really be useful until you can stream live TV from outside your home. I have TVs in the rooms that I want to watch TV.

It should also be able to stream recorded shows from my DVRs

#154 OFFLINE   VicF

VicF

AllStar

• Registered
  • 70 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:16 PM

TV Everywhere my XYZ. I am going to give Nomad a try and if that does not work well and not iPad app "soon". Since I have to travel some now; I am going to be forced to switch to Dish after 11 years with D*.
Whole Home, HR-24 - Samsung Plasma,

#155 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,342 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:25 PM

TV Everywhere my XYZ. I am going to give Nomad a try and if that does not work well and not iPad app "soon". Since I have to travel some now; I am going to be forced to switch to Dish after 11 years with D*.

Dish's solution to outside the home streaming is basically a Slingbox. You can always buy one of those for your DIRECTV system and stream to your heart's content. :)

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#156 OFFLINE   RAD

RAD

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,025 posts
  • LocationDripping Springs, TX

Posted 11 April 2012 - 03:35 PM

Nomad does work on iPads's just not as a native iPad only app. And before switching you might want to check out some of the problems that Dish folks have when it comes to their everywhere offering.

See post My Setup for configuration info.

#157 OFFLINE   KenW

KenW

Legend

• Registered
  • 208 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:05 PM

I've been pretty happy with nomad on my iPad. I travel weekly.

You should check out the nomad thread.

Setup

Ken

#158 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,612 posts

Posted 11 April 2012 - 04:33 PM

Nomad does work on iPads's just not as a native iPad only app.

And it works very well. It's not only a completely functional GUI, but the Nomad device itself is client agnostic. It creates and transfers the same resolution/quality MP4 file to an iPad, iPod, iPhone, PC or Windows laptop. As a result, iPad video playback quality is as good as it's going to be, even if the GUI will be someday look more elegant. Perhaps like DirecTV for iPad's GUI, or maybe even integrated into it.
/steve

#159 OFFLINE   awalt

awalt

Legend

• Registered
  • 197 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 07:58 AM

The app works pretty ell for me, but I find the selection of Live TV shows limited. I would love to be able to watch my local Regional Sports Network on it, since MLB.TV blacks out my game (don't get me started...)

Are there reasons anyone knows of why some channels can be live streamed and others not? Is it bandwidth concerns, licensing, or something else?

Hoping it comes soon, this app looks like it has a lot of potential.

#160 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,928 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 12 April 2012 - 08:19 AM

It won't really be useful until you can stream live TV from outside your home.

The nomad is not yet the tool to do this. The original trademark grant documentation mentions streaming, but it is not currently implemented. As Go Beavs points out, you can do this right now with a Slingbox or a Vulkano (from a single receiver).

The other issue is that many don't have the upstream Internet bandwidth to stream HD video and that's not something you can cure with a product that must compress on-the-fly.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

Protected By... spam firewall...And...