Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DIRECTV App for iPad (1.5.x) with DIRECTV Everywhere - Issues and Discussion

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
290 replies to this topic

#161 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,062 posts

Posted 12 April 2012 - 01:05 PM

The app works pretty ell for me, but I find the selection of Live TV shows limited. I would love to be able to watch my local Regional Sports Network on it, since MLB.TV blacks out my game (don't get me started...)

Are there reasons anyone knows of why some channels can be live streamed and others not? Is it bandwidth concerns, licensing, or something else?

Hoping it comes soon, this app looks like it has a lot of potential.

Probably mostly licensing deals.

#162 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,496 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 14 April 2012 - 03:31 PM

Love my directv iPad app. Just wish it would get channels right on the sports scoreboard. Keeps telling me there are no channels available for most games when they are. Seems it tries to figure out your subscriptions and fails. I'd rather the way the red button score guide works. Give me all the channels and if I don't get the one I pick, the receiver tells me that.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#163 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 302 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:15 PM

I have a question about the guide in the iPad app: why do my HD locals have 2 instances? I live in Denver, don't have an AM21 nor an HR20, and all of my locals that are in HD show up twice in the guide. Trying to setup SNL to record tonight and I don't know which one to pick!
DirecTV Customer Since 1997

#164 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,721 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:18 PM

I have a question about the guide in the iPad app: why do my HD locals have 2 instances? I live in Denver, don't have an AM21 nor an HR20, and all of my locals that are in HD show up twice in the guide. Trying to setup SNL to record tonight and I don't know which one to pick!

Sounds like you're seeing both the SD and HD versions.

#165 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 302 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 14 April 2012 - 10:45 PM

Sounds like you're seeing both the SD and HD versions.

Nope. I have "hide SD duplicates" set to on and both of the channel listings say HD/have the HD logos. For example, 9 NBC HD, or 7 ABCHD. They also all have the HD icon in the show listing when the show is in HD (both SNL's were listed as HD). I have a workaround, but it's frustrating that I had to find one

#166 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 302 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 16 April 2012 - 11:51 AM

Anyway, my workaround is this: I set both shows to record. I set the first instance of the channel/show to record 1 minute early. I set the 2nd instance to record 2 minutes early. Whichever one records, I set that channel as a favorite/"heart" in my iPad app guide.

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I use to have an HR-20 with OTA capabilities. That receiver has been gone for awhile now, most certainly gone before I installed the iPad app. In the case of HR-20's or AM21's, doesn't the OTA channel show up as "9-1" as the channel number instead of just "9" in the iPad app guide??

#167 OFFLINE   dennisj00

dennisj00

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 8,414 posts
  • LocationLake Norman, NC

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:11 PM

OTA channels don't show up on my iPad app for either HR20 that I have.

Spending to stimulate the economy as fast as the credit cards will allow!

My Setup / Weather at Lake Norman!/ Boathouse BEES
DLB, MRV, nomad, HDGUI are HERE! . . . We're DONE!

#168 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 16 April 2012 - 01:56 PM

OTA channels don't show up on my iPad app for either HR20 that I have.

By design, no OTA channels show up in the iPad app except in the "Currently Watching" module.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#169 OFFLINE   mrdobolina

mrdobolina

AllStar

• Registered
  • 302 posts
  • LocationA Mile High

Posted 16 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

So that deepens the mystery for me. Why would my HD Locals show up TWICE in the iPad app guide?? Only 1 of each channel pair records when set up to record via the app.

Any other Denver area (or any other market) iPad app users seeing this?

#170 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 16 April 2012 - 03:58 PM

So that deepens the mystery for me. Why would my HD Locals show up TWICE in the iPad app guide?? Only 1 of each channel pair records when set up to record via the app.

SF area, have not seen that even once, and I have good locals here. I wonder if there might be tags for the Denver area's locals that are set wrong. Or even if that could be it.....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#171 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:04 PM

I'm wondering if this has anything to do with the fact that I use to have an HR-20 with OTA capabilities. That receiver has been gone for awhile now, most certainly gone before I installed the iPad app. In the case of HR-20's or AM21's, doesn't the OTA channel show up as "9-1" as the channel number instead of just "9" in the iPad app guide??

Yes, locals show up as -1, -2 etc. here in SF, on my Guide on the HR20-700 I have in use. They don't show up on my iPad.

#172 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,000 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 04:52 PM

Way too many times have I been prevented from running the app as log-in fails. Today, it wouldn't go at all. Rebooted the iPad (3) and now it wants me to enter PW, which I did twice- no joy. On the try after closing and reopening, it did finally let me in, though it's still searching for receivers. It's showing the sports panel, but saying my Sharks game is "blacked out".... cause it can't find the receivers! [It ain't blacked out...,]

Now, as it never found receivers, it's on its fourth attempt. It did not make me reenter either user name nor PW, but it ain't finding the go ahead, either. Still telling me my Giants BB and Sharks hockey are blacked out.

DANG!

Is this not a DIRECTV® server issue? Cause my LAN is pretty solid, and this happens a lot.

#173 OFFLINE   SteelDog

SteelDog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 16 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Man I am excited. I have been on many a business trip and wished I could watch my content on my DVR while kicking back in my hotel room. Now I can. I just bought the new iPad 3 and I can't wait to try this out.

#174 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,759 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 17 April 2012 - 08:35 AM

So when can we look at a scheduled recordings list or a series priority manager on the ipad like you can with Comcast's iOS app - click here - ?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Ovation, Reelz , Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---
HR24-200
H24-200

#175 OFFLINE   SteelDog

SteelDog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 05:19 PM

Yes, locals show up as -1, -2 etc. here in SF, on my Guide on the HR20-700 I have in use. They don't show up on my iPad.

I have been playing that and I noticed my Fox Sports affiliate channel is not showing up on the iPad either.

#176 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 17 April 2012 - 07:04 PM

Am I doing something wrong or is the name of this App and the First Look very misleading.

I am at a hotel and outside of my network. I attempted to access a live streaming feed but am told that I am not connected to an HD DVR. (I see others have posted similar issues).

The First Look indicates that "On Demand" content will stream but then also says "Live TV streaming outside is easy to use and the quality can be very good"

Does this App stream Live TV outside the network or not?
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#177 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,302 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 17 April 2012 - 10:24 PM

Live TV streaming does NOT work outside your home network. The other on demand stuff does stream outside though. It's currently limited to the Audience network and some premium content at the moment.

Hopefully there will me more channels included in the future but for now, the content is kinda sparse for outside the home streaming.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#178 OFFLINE   raott

raott

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,133 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 05:55 AM

Live TV streaming does NOT work outside your home network. The other on demand stuff does stream outside though. It's currently limited to the Audience network and some premium content at the moment.

Hopefully there will me more channels included in the future but for now, the content is kinda sparse for outside the home streaming.

That is what I was afraid of. Very limited usefulness. First Look language really needs to be changed and this limitation highlighted.
SONY KDS-55A3000 and a couple of Vizios; SWM16; HR34 NR; HR22 NR; HR20-700 NR; H23-600 NR; R22 NR

#179 OFFLINE   tbolt

tbolt

Legend

• Registered
  • 180 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 10:24 AM

I'm in the Denver area and I see the same thing. Local HD channels show up twice on the iPad App.

#180 OFFLINE   SteelDog

SteelDog

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 25 posts

Posted 18 April 2012 - 04:56 PM

That is what I was afraid of. Very limited usefulness. First Look language really needs to be changed and this limitation highlighted.

Was very disappointed to hear this. Hopefully they expand soon. I go on many business trips and was hoping to be able to watch all my content via iPad.

spam firewall