Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DISH Satellite antenna

watch espn

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack

NCwolfpack

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:01 PM

I am in the Raleigh, NC area. What type of dish will have to be installed so that I will receive programming?

I will have a Hopper and a Joey. Of course this is an HD DVR.

Will I need 1 dish or 2??

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,704 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 19 March 2012 - 05:27 PM

A single Dish 1000 of some sort. Which one probably depends on which side of your home has a better view of the sky.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#3 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 19 March 2012 - 06:34 PM

They are likely to want to install an eastern arc dish... 1000.4 that will get 61.5/72.7/77 locations. That is what I got when I recently moved within Raleigh.

IF there are location issues installing the dish OR line-of-site issues they could install western arc 110/119/129. We are in a market where it doesn't matter.

There are advantages and disadvantages to either arc... but as a new customer I'm not sure you really would care one way or the other. When I moved, I switched from western arc to eastern arc. It hasn't been a big deal.

One thing to be aware of, though, since you said you are getting Hopper/Joey installed. The Hopper/Joey doesn't support OTA right now... so you will only get what Dish carries via satellite in terms of our local channels.

Dish has all of our SD locals (not the subchannels mind you like ThisTV or MeTV) but only has WUNC, WRAL, WTVD, WNCN, and WRAZ in HD.

IF you watch anything on WRDC or CW22 then you will not be able to see those programs in HD with the Hopper/Joey setup.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#4 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack

NCwolfpack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:05 PM

What should my signal levels be peaking at? My black dish hd antenna is pointing towards the eastern arc satellites. I'm curious if it's peaked correctly. Install today took almost 5 hours. This was installers first hopper Joey install and I assume his first install toward the eastern arc. He originally told me he was aiming at the 119. I want my signal as high as possible to keep my signal during storms/hurricanes!

#5 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:25 PM

What should my signal levels be peaking at? My black dish hd antenna is pointing towards the eastern arc satellites. I'm curious if it's peaked correctly. Install today took almost 5 hours. This was installers first hopper Joey install and I assume his first install toward the eastern arc. He originally told me he was aiming at the 119. I want my signal as high as possible to keep my signal during storms/hurricanes!

If it bothers you let the Pros here know what your signal levels are,they will let you know if it's peaked right.;)

#6 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 564 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...=minimum signal

See post #12 in the link above. It has the signal averages by area

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#7 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:51 PM

http://www.dbstalk.c...=minimum signal

See post #12 in the link above. It has the signal averages by area

Thanks MattG!.:)

Oh DIRT! you've done it again!good job! as always.:D

#8 OFFLINE   NCwolfpack

NCwolfpack

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 19 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:50 AM

For me it says higher 40's to mid 50's. But that low of a signal strength even though it's the best I can get will cause frequent signal/channels loss during every thunderstorm and rain shower?

#9 OFFLINE   boba

boba

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,580 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:29 AM

For me it says higher 40's to mid 50's. But that low of a signal strength even though it's the best I can get will cause frequent signal/channels loss during every thunderstorm and rain shower?

Then cancel your install and stay with cable!:):):)

#10 OFFLINE   Jhon69

Jhon69

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,637 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:37 AM

The rule of thumb here is don't worry about your numbers(unless their very low compared to the chart) or your seeing alot of pixilation when your watching a program,if you do call DISH up for a realignment,or if it's right after your install call your installer(some have a warranty for so many days after their install to come back and fix problems with the installed system).Good Luck!:)

#11 OFFLINE   Gettv

Gettv

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:39 AM

I fixing up a new dish 500 dp to sat 148. What are all the setting when I bolt it together. i'm in Houston, TX 77053 ???. One other Question is I'm not getting my local channels NFPS IKS and I believe this should fix the problem with a swicth DP34 but not sure or can i get my locals on 110,119??. I have dish 500 dp sat 110,119 already. I'm in Houston, TX for the dish 500 settings (Elev,Asm).
Thanks

#12 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 April 2012 - 11:44 AM

I fixing up a new dish 500 dp to sat 148. What are all the setting when I bolt it together. i'm in Houston, TX 77053 ???. One other Question is I'm not getting my local channels NFPS IKS and I believe this should fix the problem with a swicth DP34 but not sure or can i get my locals on 110,119??. I have dish 500 dp sat 110,119 already. I'm in Houston, TX for the dish 500 settings (Elev,Asm).
Thanks

First, there is no sat at 148W. Second - what is "IKS" means ?

#13 OFFLINE   Gettv

Gettv

• Registered
  • 2 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 12:31 PM

What Sat hold your locals. FTA Reciever

#14 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,595 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:12 PM

Previously you have posted trying to get access to channels you shouldn't be accessing. I am confused as to your questions regarding an FTA receiver in a Dish forum.

If this is an attempt at hacking, expect the discussion to be ended quickly.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#15 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 01:13 PM

FTA is not Dish. You need proper equipment.

#16 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,853 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:40 PM

What Sat hold your locals. FTA Reciever

Check EKB, Lyngsat, etc

#17 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 02:55 PM

Install today took almost 5 hours. This was installers first hopper Joey install and I assume his first install toward the eastern arc. He originally told me he was aiming at the 119. I want my signal as high as possible to keep my signal during storms/hurricanes!

I have to agree with the others, you are worrying about things you just don't know about at this point.
Having a Hopper has nothing to do with what ARC, I bet the installer has been installing to the Eastern ARC for sometime now. Plus, he sounds very knowledgeable in the Hopper installation. There are many reports the Hopper sometimes (or maybe always) first looks at the 119 satellite when you first get the set-up started and causes it to pause a long time if that's not a satellite you get....

Protected By... spam firewall...And...