Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Smart Search Autorecord Series Issue

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 10:50 AM

When I replaced my HR22 with an HR34, I had to recreate a Smart Search to Autorecord my Sabres hockey games. I used the same boolean string as before: AALL SABRES HDTV CCHAN 638 639 (with ALL & ALL)

When I set it up about 2 weeks ago, I created the Series Link for this with "Episode Type" as "Both". It seems to find all the Sabres games just fine, but never marks them to record. In the past it would mark the game it was going to record with an R with an Orange Star. Now I have to go to the series manager and pull each one up that it lists and press record. Any ideas on how to fix this?
HR34-700, HR22-100

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

ARSL's many times don't show up well as set to record, but they almost never fail to record. If you can stomach it, or if you're going to be home for the start of a game, let the dvr try to do its thing without you intervening, you may find it records the game just fine, but not mark them in the guide and/or the to-do list.

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:34 AM

ARSL's many times don't show up well as set to record, but they almost never fail to record. If you can stomach it, or if you're going to be home for the start of a game, let the dvr try to do its thing without you intervening, you may find it records the game just fine, but not mark them in the guide and/or the to-do list.

Thanks! Now that you say it, I recall reading that. I guess I was just used to how it worked on my HR22. It always marked them with an orange star and recorded them fine. I'll be home today before it starts, so I may try it with tonight's game.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

Well, it didn't start the recording for tonight's game. The series link is doing a good job of finding the games. I just have to pull up each game and mark it to record. It was much nicer when it did it set up the recording on my HR22.
HR34-700, HR22-100

#5 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 3,852 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:56 AM

If you are having trouble getting a Smart Search for an NFL ST game to automatically record via a series recording, you might try what I suggest below.

Since I replaced my HR22 with an HR34, I've had a rough time trying to using smart search to automatically record all my teams games for the whole season. I spent about an hour today trying multiple searches with AALL and AANY, then the name of my team, followed by HD, then show type of events and live with no luck.

Finally, I decided to just search for the game as if I was going to simply record one game. That way I could figure out what search worked. Then I entered it as follows and it finally worked:

AANY BILLS, SHOW TYPE, EVENTS

Surprisingly, it selected the HD version of the NFL Sunday ticket game without having to include HD anywhere in the string. And it didn't pick up any other stray shows that might have the word Bills in it. So now my games are already set to record for today's game and next weeks game. I was so frustrated with this, so now that it works, I feel like miracles can happen!

(If you haven't set one up before, after creating the search, select autorecord and it will create a series recording)
HR34-700, HR22-100

#6 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 11:38 PM

A little advice...

Do not put HD in any string ever, its a wast of time and can only screw it up. Hide HD duplicates and HD priority always being given to hd versions will take care of catching the hd versions of games. The best format that I have ever found...

AALL LAKERS EVENTS CCHANS 2 26 & Sports & Basketball

For you I would do...

AALL BILLS EVENTS & Sports & Football

and for your original post (sorry I missed that in the first place)

AALL SABRES EVENTS CCHANS 638 639 & Sports & Hockey

Those make sure you capture your team, and only its games (hence the EVENTS) Allows you to narrow what channels it will record from so you don't run into the Channels I Get issues in the RSNs (although not an issue for sunday ticket I would think) and makes sure it only grabs sports programs and ones with the team name for your sport. (Cardinals could be football or baseball for example)

You can leave off the CCHANS modifier if you like, but the team name with events and then using the categories to select sports and the actual sport has not failed me once, and I have my machines recording all UCLA and USC football and basketball games, all Lakers, Clippers, Dodgers, Kings, Ducks, Angels games... SO I have a large sample and have no issues.

Also, using AANY or AALL when you have only one word in your search string does nothing for you. AANY, means any word in the string can match, and AALL means all the words in the string must match, but if you only have one word, then there is no point in using a modifier.

Your current ARSL though, it could find a concert that had a band with the name "Bills" in it performing and record that. And if you where unlucky enough to have that on the same day as other things to record and a bills game, and the concert had an earlier start time, you'd miss the football game... My method limits it to only recording something very very specific, while your search string leaves a lot more things available to the dvr to find.

Oh, and don't worry if it is or is not showing the set recording right away. It will pick up the games even if they aren't in the to do list right away.

If you want lots more info on some of the techniques for getting the most out of boolean searches, follow the link in my signature to the tips area, and read the Boolean search PDF.

#7 OFFLINE   EyeRonik1

EyeRonik1

Mentor

• Registered
  • 35 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Smart Searches are a huge disappointment on the HR34. I try to replicate the experience I had using Tivos and I'm finding it very troublesome:

- Priority order appears to be a guideline, not a rule. I frequently have high priority season passes not recorded when a Smart Search recording of lower priority is on. This usually occurs when the Smart Search recording is a sporting event where the guide data changes frequently. (This hasn't happened in a few months - may be fixed.)

- Some stations that I once subscribed to but have cancelled show up consistently in smart searches. I cancelled Showtime, Encore and the HD Pack, yet my movie smart searches still record from Encore and SonyHD (but not Showtime). I've reset the device from the red button and refreshed it from directv.com but I still have a ton of recordings from nonexistent channels.

- I can't designate which channels from which to record like I could on the Tivo. Please stop recording HBOLHD programs! I'd love a feature: CCHANNELLIST Favorites!

- Sometimes the HR34 will decide to record a re-broadcast and skip the original broadcast, even if I specifically record the early broadcast. There have been many times I sat down to watch a sporting event and found it wasn't set to record until the next morning.

- General unreliability. I don't trust that any particular show is going to record. I hope over time we can rebuild our relationship.

I'm a heavy user - I have 64 auto-records and between 600-1200 recordings in my to-do list at any time. I almost always have 3 tuners running and frequently 5.

I'm assuming it will get better. I sure hope so.

#8 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 16,193 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 04:07 PM

Smart Searches are a huge disappointment on the HR34. I try to replicate the experience I had using Tivos and I'm finding it very troublesome:

- Priority order appears to be a guideline, not a rule. I frequently have high priority season passes not recorded when a Smart Search recording of lower priority is on. This usually occurs when the Smart Search recording is a sporting event where the guide data changes frequently. (This hasn't happened in a few months - may be fixed.)

- Some stations that I once subscribed to but have cancelled show up consistently in smart searches. I cancelled Showtime, Encore and the HD Pack, yet my movie smart searches still record from Encore and SonyHD (but not Showtime). I've reset the device from the red button and refreshed it from directv.com but I still have a ton of recordings from nonexistent channels.

- I can't designate which channels from which to record like I could on the Tivo. Please stop recording HBOLHD programs! I'd love a feature: CCHANNELLIST Favorites!

- Sometimes the HR34 will decide to record a re-broadcast and skip the original broadcast, even if I specifically record the early broadcast. There have been many times I sat down to watch a sporting event and found it wasn't set to record until the next morning.

- General unreliability. I don't trust that any particular show is going to record. I hope over time we can rebuild our relationship.

I'm a heavy user - I have 64 auto-records and between 600-1200 recordings in my to-do list at any time. I almost always have 3 tuners running and frequently 5.

I'm assuming it will get better. I sure hope so.

Well, using the strait search feature isn't as good as TiVo' but when you also use the Boolean searches, it's more powerful. Check the link in my signature to the tips thread, and read the advanced search PDF there. It will give you all kinds of ways to record things that are excellent.

As for the specific things you mention...

I have never ever seen the priority issue you are having with any hr, but it could easily have been a bug right when the HR34 came out, I didn't get mine right away, so I'd say they got it fixed before I got it, or i would notice it, i have a lot of series links and boolean arsls. (auto records series links) or you specific show that is causing this issue is having extremely weird guide updates causing the issue, but I doubt it.

The second issue is the channels I get issue which bites everyone and in several areas... The bad news is it's been a long term issue. It affects every receiver dtv has. The good news is that there is nothing wrong with you box,it's a systems issue at DIRECTV, and they are finally working on a true fix for it, which rumor has it will be implemented before the end of the year hopefully... But ....

You want to limit what channels will be recorded? That you can do! It's a Boolean operator, again, check out the PDF. It also allows you to get around the cig issues.

Usually, the problem with it recording a different airing can be stopped by altering it's position in priority list, as well as sometimes using the Boolean operator for narrowing down the channels. If an update to the guid hits, it can screw with your attempting to create a one time recording that is also part of a series link if it changes enough of the show description.

My suggestion, and it's what many people do, I give anything on my local channels like CBS, top priority, then have all my sports, and then all my cable channel shows. Following that pattern, I almost never run into the situation where it schedules a latter recording due to conflicts, which is likely why you are seeing this. If you give us some exact examples with all the details of what else is going on, we can likely pinpoint the cause for sure.

I have not missed any recordings at all on my HR34. I believe it's all in how you set it up. I never check my to do list either... And I have more series links than you do... ;)

After reading through the PDF, if you have any questions, ask, I'll be happy to explain it some more if needed... :D

Edited by inkahauts, 11 September 2012 - 04:17 PM.

Protected By... spam firewall...And...