Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Did I get the correct information?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

did an online chat with a dish CSR on Sunday to get more information about the Hopper/Joey.
Specific questions I asked:
  • Can I keep my 922 or 722? - NO
  • Can I use the OTA tuner from my 922 in the Hopper? - YES
  • Can I use Homeplug to connect to powerline network? - YES
  • If I get two Hoppers, can Joeys on Hopper1 view recordings from Hopper2? - YES
  • Can I use the USB wireless Network adapter fromy my 922 on a Hopper? - YES
  • Can I add a Sling adapter to my Hopper? - YES, for $30.00

When I called the next day to order, I went over all these questions again with the CSR on the phone.
Got the same answers, except she told me Sling technology was built into the Hopper, and an adapter was not needed. I asked her to double-check that one and she verified that a sling adapter would in fact be needed.
Now, I'm wondering about the OTA tuner, Homeplug, and cross-communication between Hoppers/Joeys.

I'm also concerned about the Ethernet/Sling connectivity.
My 922 used Powerline Ethernet which was slow and spotty. I bought a wireless usb adapter which tests faster (On a PC at least), but still drops connection all too frequently. I'm hoping to get the installer to drop an ethernet cable from my Router to the location of the main Hopper to give some stability to the connection.

Scheduled my install for This sunday morning (to give myself some time to clean off the other DVR drives / move to EHD).

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   BobaBird

BobaBird

EKB Editor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,022 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:42 PM

The first one gets a D+ (66%).

There is no slot for the MT2 module. A USB tuner is expected later, maybe summer.
Hopper does not support HomePlug.

A Joey can view the other Hopper after you go into the network setup to change which it's paired to. The software will later make it all integrated.
Charles @dishuser - a dynamic employee of Massive Veridian
Visit the EchoStar Knowledge Base
"The other guys charge $9.95/month to use tapeless record" - Dish Network Tech Forum, 8-6-01
"dual" is NOT the same as "Twin" - here's why

#3 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 12:46 PM

I can only answer a few of those, but you got some bad info.

• The 922 OTA tuner will not work on the Hopper.
  • Sling is not built-in to the Hopper.
  • You'll need a HIC box for your network connection now instead of home-plug, power line or wireless USB. I think it's an additional $25. It will plug in near your router. Then coax will run to a tap that connects to your other devices. So ethernet goes over coax from that point.

#4 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

So, will I need the HIC box to provide a connection to the Sling adapter?

#5 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:03 PM

HERE's some more info. You need the HIC if you don't have an network connection near your DVR (which you don't). And your DVR needs to be on your network, either directly or via the HIC, for the Sling to function. A power line solution will probably still work, but this is a lot better. The HIC was designed to handle your situation.

#6 OFFLINE   zer0cool

zer0cool

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 264 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:12 PM

will the technician have the HIC with him, or should I call back and request he bring one?

#7 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,248 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 06:45 PM

Don't know, but better safe than sorry, so I'd ask.

#8 OFFLINE   MattG@DISH Network

MattG@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 554 posts

Posted 20 March 2012 - 09:09 PM

So, will I need the HIC box to provide a connection to the Sling adapter?

The tech should have one with him, and he will connect the receiver to the internet if possible (chances are using a HIC)

Matthew "Speedy" Gonzales
Social Media

Monday/Tuesday/Thursday/Friday 11a-10p MT.  Off: Weds/Sat/Sun.

#9 OFFLINE   billyfury

billyfury

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 28 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:24 PM

A HIC was installed during my installation at no charge. I was one of the first out of my local office so the manager was here during the install. They did not have a HIC on either truck so the manager went back to the office to get one. I live really close, only a couple of miles.

billyfury-Hopper, 3x joeys, and happy to send back that buggy 922

spam firewall