Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Help Install A New Directv TiVo

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   utbronco

utbronco

Mentor

• DBSTalk Club
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:20 AM

I couldn't find an answer to my question here so I thought I would ask for some help.

I currently have Whole Home Viewing with three HR24s and a SWiM 8 which also runs my old Hughes SD TiVo Receiver. My wife does not want to lose her TiVo but she is willing to upgrade to the new TiVo and I have ordered one from Directv.

Currently the old SD Receiver uses the two legacy connections. When I install the new TiVo do I need to just use the two existing legacy connections or just one. Maybe I need to move the actual SWiM connection to one of the other locations.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!! I just wanna be ready when the box arrives!

Thanks
Dave
(3) HR24-500
(1) THR22 TiVo
(1) SWiM-8
(3) WGA600N Dual Band Wireless-N Gaming Adapter

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,592 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 21 March 2012 - 09:24 AM

You cannot use the SWM8 legacy outputs with your THR22 HD Tivo. You won't get any HD channels with those outputs. You need to connect your THR22 into the SWM output somehow. With three HR24s, you'll be at the SWM8's maximum capacity when you add the THR22 (eight tuners).
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#3 OFFLINE   utbronco

utbronco

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Thanks for the clarification.

You're not going to get off that easy, :-) that is if your willing to help me just a bit further, I would really appreciate it!!

My SWiM 8 is reachable under a wood deck that sits on top of a cement pad so it's visible and easy to reach. Which connections do I need to undo that go to the old TiVo Receiver and which connection do I use for my one wire connection to the new THR22 TiVo?

Once again, I appreciate the help you have given me and what ever else you can do.

Dave
(3) HR24-500
(1) THR22 TiVo
(1) SWiM-8

#4 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 11:33 AM

Here's a link to a SWM site with wiring diagrams for various configurations.

Identifying the connection for your legacy Tivo is easy - the wires are connected to ports on the SWM labeled "legacy".

For SWM connections, see below:

http://www.swm8.com/...ng-examples.php

#5 OFFLINE   utbronco

utbronco

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 42 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

Thank you for the help. I have looked at my SWiM 8 and have clearly identified the legacy connections for the old SD Receiver. I'm not quite understanding the nipple looking ends, do they screw off?

I believe I can undo both of the legacy connections and then use one of them and attach it to the splitter, I'm just not quite sure about the nipple looking ends.

When Directv installed the SWiM 8 they didn't leave me much slack on the existing lines to the legacy connections. Can I use a barrel type of connector to add some length to the existing line to get it over to the splitter? Does it have to be a special connector?

Appreciate the help!! I would do almost anything not to have a tech come by the house.

Dave

Attached Thumbnails

• DSCN0208.JPG

(3) HR24-500
(1) THR22 TiVo
(1) SWiM-8

#6 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,868 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:56 PM

The dust caps screw off when you need to use the connectors.

As far as barrels, they should be avoided if possible but if you do need a barrel use something like the Eagle Aspen DTVFF10 barrel that is approved for the full frequency range. Don't use the ones you can get 10 for a dollar at Home Depot.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#7 OFFLINE   macq

macq

AllStar

• Registered
  • 81 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:54 PM

Adding on to Stuart's comments ...

After you remove one of the coax from the legacy port and move it to the 4th slot on the 4-way splitter, take the dust cap you removed from the splitter and put it on the now-empty post on the SWM legacy port.

For an outdoor install like yours, that will help keep debris / water out of the unit. You can just leave the other coax in place on the 2nd legacy port and leave the other end dangling inside your house (since you won't need it) to protect that post.

For the barrel connection, Radio Shack probably has a suitable one if there's one in your area. The one Stuart mentioned is tested to 3Ghz so any model with those specs should suffice. The short jumper cable can just be any old RG6 with that short distance.

#8 OFFLINE   PokerJoker

PokerJoker

Godfather

• DBSTalk Club
  • 474 posts
  • LocationLas Vegas

Posted 21 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

Shouldn't need a special 3 Ghz barrel. The frequency range used for a SWM signal is quite a bit less that for the native satellite signal. Heck, it even works through RG59.

Keith

#9 OFFLINE   samrs

samrs

MANC

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,243 posts
  • LocationFlat Branch, NC

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:39 AM

If the cable isn't long enough to move it to the splitter, then move the splitter to the cable.
HR20-100, HR20-700, HR24-100, HR34-700/AM21

#10 OFFLINE   utbronco

utbronco

Mentor

• Topic Starter
  • DBSTalk Club
  • 42 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:14 AM

Thanks to all of you!! I received the TiVo unit and was able very easily to move the splitter closer to accommodate the length of the existing Sat 1 line, moving it from the Legacy Port to the 4th position of the splitter. Dah, I should have thought about moving the splitter closer before asking about the barrel connector. it all worked out great!!! TiVo is up and running and my Wife is ecstatic about getting HD on her receiver!!

I really appreciate belonging to a group like this and having so many terrific people willing to answer questions, even if sometimes they might be kind of dumb questions!!

Thanks again to all of you!!
Dave
(3) HR24-500
(1) THR22 TiVo
(1) SWiM-8

Protected By... spam firewall...And...