Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Getting an Extra Receiver

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   kzziboy

kzziboy

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 01:37 PM

Question...
Other than directly from Directv, is there a good way to get an extra receiver?
I know you can buy them from people on ebay or craigslist...obviously you want one that is owned...
I've seen people refer to Solid Signal on here. Aren't they just selling you a receiver that is leased? Do they have ones you can own? IF they are leased, how can they sell them when you can't activate a leased one that someone else has in their posession?
Confusing.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   RunnerFL

RunnerFL

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,675 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

If you want owned at leased prices ebay and craigslist are really your only places to go. You can purchase one as owned from DirecTV but that's more than twice what you'd pay elsewhere and there's no guarantee of what unit you'll get.

Of you want to go leased then go Solid Signal.
THIS SPACE FOR RENT

#3 OFFLINE   RACJ2

RACJ2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,841 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:02 PM

Your other option is to look for a receiver in the Buy/Sell forum in DBSTalk [link].
HR34-700, HR22-100

#4 OFFLINE   litzdog911

litzdog911

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,484 posts
  • LocationMill Creek, WA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:13 AM

Buyer beware when buying used DirecTV equipment on eBay, CraigsList, etc ....
http://reviews.ebay....000000004230191
HD DVRs: HR34-700; HR24-500; (2) HR20-700 + WD eSATA 1TB drive/Antec MX1 case; HR21-700; HR21-200 w/AM21
Receivers: H25-500 HD Receiver; H21-100 HD Receiver
Mobile Devices: Nomad

Additional equipment configuration details

Sun & moon help site your satellite dish

#5 OFFLINE   kzziboy

kzziboy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:27 PM

So you can buy a leased receiver from Solid Signal. How can that be activated on MY account if its leased? Isn't that the same as buying a leased receiver on Ebay? You can't activate a receiver if it was leased by another person right?

#6 OFFLINE   hasan

hasan

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,823 posts
  • LocationOgden, IA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:31 PM

So you can buy a leased receiver from Solid Signal. How can that be activated on MY account if its leased? Isn't that the same as buying a leased receiver on Ebay? You can't activate a receiver if it was leased by another person right?

It's not leased to anyone until you pay solidsignal. They are a dealer for DirecTV and have been trusted by dozens and dozens of people on these forums. They don't lease previously leased sat boxes, only new ones. They lease them, because they can't be purchased, due to how DirecTV set things up.

The lease is between you and DirecTV, not between you and solidsignal. They are an authorized dealer. Who knows about the occupants of eBay?

...hasan, N0AN

SlimLine5-SWiMLNB/DECA/WHDVR
HR44-700, WD20EURX 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Max 5 Enclosure

HR24-200, WD20EVDS 2 TB eSATA/ThermalTake Dock

HR24-200, H21-200. Samsung UN60C6400 60" LED/LCD

DirecTV since 1995

#7 OFFLINE   kzziboy

kzziboy

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 22 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 01:44 PM

Okay...that's the answer I was looking for. I wasn't sure of the setup. I hear ya on the Ebay and Craigslist thing.
Thanks!

#8 OFFLINE   goober22

goober22

Godfather

• Registered
  • 468 posts
  • LocationSunny Flori-Duh!

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:37 PM

You're not "buying" a receiver. You are paying an up-front offset fee to get a leased receiver. Because of the high price of manufacturing, they ask you to offset the cost - just like Cell phones! You don't get an iPhone for free do you? You pay an offset fee. D* is the same. Since 2008 I believe, all receivers are leased.

If they say you are buying it, blame Bestbuy, etc. for poor or misguided advice.

Resident Jenius!

DirecTV = HR20-700x2, HR20-100x2, R22-100+AM21Nx2, All Networked, R15-500x1 (not activated), D12-300x2, Zinwell WB616, OTA=17, WOW (Knology) Cable = Internet & Phone Only,  Hitachi 65S700 65", Sanyo 50" Plasma x2, Hisense 42" LCD, Scepter 40" LCD, Vizio 26" LCD, Hiteker 32" LCD,  Sony 7.1 Receiver, Sony 7.1 Speaker System

spam firewall