Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1080i shows recorded in 720p

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   johnchart

johnchart

Legend

• Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:38 PM

My DirecTV shows are all recording in 720p even when the show is broadcast in 1080i. I have the video setting showing Native - On & Screen Format - Original Format. I can switch to 1080i by using the format button, but that is a pain. My TV is a 2009 HD Vizio. My DirecTV box is 24-100

What am I doing wrong?

John

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   FenixTX

FenixTX

Godfather

• Registered
  • 467 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 03:56 PM

Which shows and what channel are supposed to be in 1081i and aren't you say?
Go Big Red!!!

#3 OFFLINE   johnchart

johnchart

Legend

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 123 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 04:05 PM

First of all I should correct my post. All 1080i shows on all channels record in the 1080i format. It's just that when I want to watch them the default setting is 720p. When I switch the format to 1080i, everything is ok. Why aren't they in 1080i when I press "PLAY"?

Thanks

John

#4 OFFLINE   Clemsole

Clemsole

Godfather

• Registered
  • 366 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:58 AM

Go into the setup on your DVR and remove all resulation settings except 1080i. Then everything will only display in 1080i.

#5 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

My DirecTV shows are all recording in 720p even when the show is broadcast in 1080i. I have the video setting showing Native - On & Screen Format - Original Format. I can switch to 1080i by using the format button, but that is a pain. My TV is a 2009 HD Vizio. My DirecTV box is 24-100

What am I doing wrong?

John

Something here is off.
Native on with all resolutions selected in the setup menu, means you can't change resolution. You only cycle through the format options.
With native off, then you cycle through all formats AND resolutions, which sounds like what you're doing. This means the receiver doesn't change resolutions unless you do.
What is the native resolution of your Vizio? Mine isn't a 1080, as the panel is 1366 x 768, so I don't use native and leave the output fix on 720p.
A.K.A VOS

#6 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:41 AM

Go into the setup on your DVR and remove all resulation settings except 1080i. Then everything will only display in 1080i.

I would only do this if the TV's native resolution was 1080. If it were less, then there will be unnecessary scaling in both the receiver and the TV. Some HD is 720p, so these would get scaled up to 1080, then back down to 720p if that's all the TV can support.
A.K.A VOS

#7 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,526 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:01 AM

Perhaps it isn't obvious, but any TV that isn't x720 is neither 720p nor 1080i native. Which works better for a particular TV is not necessarily the one that comes closer to the panel resolution.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#8 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:06 AM

Perhaps it isn't obvious, but any TV that isn't x720 is neither 720p nor 1080i native. Which works better for a particular TV is not necessarily the one that comes closer to the panel resolution.

Perhaps what isn't obvious, is this has more to do with the TV's scaler, and the viewer's perception of the PQ.
A.K.A VOS

#9 ONLINE   David Ortiz

David Ortiz

Thirsty from pretzels

• DBSTalk Club
  • 2,086 posts
  • LocationFresno, CA

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:10 AM

Native on with all resolutions selected in the setup menu, means you can't change resolution. You only cycle through the format options.

I don't believe this is correct. If you go to the info banner to the Audio/Video tab, you can change resolution even if you use native.

John, do you know what the software version that you're running is?

#10 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:20 AM

I don't believe this is correct. If you go to the info banner to the Audio/Video tab, you can change resolution even if you use native.

I was referring to the format button on the RC remote. You can press and hold to turn native off, but with it on, each press is cycling the format, but not resolutions, as it does when native is off.

I did check the tab options [never used them before] and you are correct.
A.K.A VOS

#11 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,526 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

Perhaps what isn't obvious, is this has more to do with the TV's scaler, and the viewer's perception of the PQ.

That is indeed the underlying reason.

There are very few true 720 line TVs out there and most of them aren't made anymore.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#12 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

There are very few true 720 line TVs out there and most of them aren't made anymore.

I don't remember the exact year of my Visio, but it was close to the 2009 of the OP's, which was why I brought it up.
A.K.A VOS

#13 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,986 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:22 AM

What about my Hitachi HD CRTs?
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#14 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:52 PM

Not sure what you are asking but my Sony CRT can display 480I, 480P, and 1080I.

720P is downscaled to 480P. So I have H25 set to send 480P or 1080I to my set. Sd's are displayed at 480P and all HD's in 1080I.

BTW, many of you complain that Sd is terrible. I don't see any problem with SD, so I imagine that it's because it's being upscaled to 480P by the box and displayed as 480P by the TV. The same as it does with standard DVD's upscaled to 480P by my blueray or progressive DVD players. Not as good as 1080I but better than 480I. The newer sets probably have to reconvert again to their native formats.

#15 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:59 PM

BTW, many of you complain that Sd is terrible. I don't see any problem with SD, so I imagine that it's because it's being upscaled to 480P by the box and displayed as 480P by the TV. The same as it does with standard DVD's upscaled to 480P by my blueray or progressive DVD players. Not as good as 1080I but better than 480I. The newer sets probably have to reconvert again to their native formats.

I doubt it's "the p" change, and very much bet it's the size & resolution of the viewing screen.
While SD "isn't bad" here on my 46" 1080p display, the actual image has been multiplied EIGHT to NINE TIMES to fit. This means there is almost 10x the "made up" information to "real" information in the image.
A.K.A VOS

#16 ONLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,526 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

They aren't x720 (or 750 something including safe area), so they aren't native 720p either.

Much is made of the importance of being native but the fact of the matter is that many TVs aren't but still produce a good image.

CRTs have some wonderful properties but if you're watching something other than SD content (especially the 320x240 or less kind that comes from most satellite or cable operators), it probably isn't as distortion-free as a display with a matrixed (plasma, DLP or LCD) display.

#17 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:33 PM

if you're watching something other than SD content (especially the 320x240 or less kind that comes from most satellite or cable operators),

Thank god I've never had a supplier offer so little for SD. I guess your mileage does vary. :lol:
A.K.A VOS

#18 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:51 AM

I doubt it's "the p" change, and very much bet it's the size & resolution of the viewing screen.
While SD "isn't bad" here on my 46" 1080p display, the actual image has been multiplied EIGHT to NINE TIMES to fit. This means there is almost 10x the "made up" information to "real" information in the image.

I would think that since my 51inch Sony CRT (9 years old), and the resolutions I'm viewing are either 480P or 1080I, and unlike the new sets that only have one resolution, this set actually displays whatever resolution the box or Blueray/DVD player sends to it, with the exception of 720P. So wouldn't that be all real information? And as you know, the difference between 480I and 480P is the same difference that you have between 1080I and 1080P. In 480P, the lines are all displayed at one time as opposed to top half first and bottom half 2nd with 480I.

So wouldn't those two factors, real information and progressive, have a lot to do with my SD not being as bad on my set as those TV's such as those that only display 720P or 1080P?

BTW My set does not display 1080P, so I set my blueray player to downscale to 1080I, so I assume that my HD is not as good as 1080P. However, I do notice that SD and HD are better with D* than they were with Time Warner.

#19 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,700 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:52 AM

I would think that since my 51inch Sony CRT (9 years old), and the resolutions I'm viewing are either 480P or 1080I, and unlike the new sets that only have one resolution, this set actually displays whatever resolution the box or Blueray/DVD player sends to it, with the exception of 720P. So wouldn't that be all real information? And as you know, the difference between 480I and 480P is the same difference that you have between 1080I and 1080P. In 480P, the lines are all displayed at one time as opposed to top half first and bottom half 2nd with 480I.

"I" stands for interlaced, so it isn't the top/bottom, but every even and odd horizontal line.
With 1080i, there are way more lines, and "dots" in each line than any SD program contains. If the image/signal isn't scaled up ["dots"/lines added from averaging] your 51" would be showing the program in a thumbnail. The added dots/lines are the "made up" parts, as they're not in the original program/signal.
Which component does this depends on your settings. The TV may be or the receiver/blu-ray player is.
I & P in the old analog days, were more noticeable than today with digital, because the digital conversion is basically undetectable.
A.K.A VOS

#20 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 03:22 PM

VeryOldSchool, Yes I understand the difference between interlaced and progressive. What you say about even and horizontal lines is pretty much what I meant to say when I say top and bottom lines. The D*/cable boxes do a much better job of upscaling to 480P and 1080I than my set does. It displays it at the resolution it receives it. SD from D*, on my set is not bad at all.

spam firewall