Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

1080i shows recorded in 720p

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:18 AM

We really have wandered off topic here, sorry....
I know quite a few people who still have these TVs, often in a game room. Setting convergence on one of these Tvs (like my Toshiba) is certainly a challenge - first, switch the TV on and leave for 30 minutes to warm up. Then go into the service menu through a "secret" button sequence, select the convergence grid, a multipoint convergence grid will appear (actually three grids, one for each color red/green/blue.) Put over the TV screen a preprinted sheet of plastic with the correct grid geometry. Use the remote to select just one color (usually green). Adjust EVERY convergence point so it is lined up with the grid. A major task, since adjusting one point moves the ones close to it. When the green is finished, adjust the red and then the blue.
Elapsed time - maybe three hours. There are separate adjustments for each input on the TV, by the way, so if you wanted to set them all it would take a weekend.
You might also have to adjust the mechanical focus of the three guns.

Plus if you want to set up everything, you have to use other service menu settings to correct for distortion, color intensity and so one.
My guess is that to completely calibrate one of these TVs would take around 20-30 hours......!!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:49 AM

My guess is that to completely calibrate one of these TVs would take around 20-30 hours......!!

Add in my learning curve, and it was well over 40
A.K.A VOS

#43 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,098 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:50 AM

Add in my learning curve, and it was well over 40

Which is why an ISF calibration cost almost as much as the TV, but the results were well worth it.

I replaced my 55" Toshiba rear projection CRT TV last year, and I just replaced my last direct view CRT (a Mitsubishi 27") last month. The SD programming from DirecTV looked much better on those sets than it does on any of my LCD or plasma TVs.

#44 OFFLINE   texasbrit

texasbrit

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,114 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 02:36 PM

Yes, SD on any CRT based system is typically much better than any flatscreen TV. Plasma is usually better than LCD, but some LCD TVs just have a terrible SD picture.

#45 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 18,802 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 30 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

More than I guess you might think.

I can't imagine that there were that many HD CRT projection TVs to begin with.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#46 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,791 posts

Posted 30 March 2012 - 11:07 PM

I can't imagine that there were that many HD CRT projection TVs to begin with.

back in '03 that was about all there was for a "reasonable" price.
A.K.A VOS

Protected By... spam firewall...And...