Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper OTA?

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:31 PM

I know that the OTA function is not available at this time, but when it does become available, will a separate ota line have to be run to all hoppers & joey's or to just the hopper?

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

Just the Hopper, there is no tuners Sat or OTA on the Joeys.

#3 OFFLINE   bnewt

bnewt

Godfather

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 335 posts

Posted 21 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

that is great news...........that was something that was holding me back from the change to the hopper/joey system. Still think that I will wait & see a little more feedback on the new system

May God Guide and Guard the USA!

#4 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 21 March 2012 - 08:54 PM

Just the Hopper, there is no tuners Sat or OTA on the Joeys.

Playing Devil's Advocate... Do we know this to be true?

Right now we know that Joeys don't actually seem to have Internet connections unless you connect them directly... even though they are communicating with a Hopper that is on the Internet (see other threads discussing this).

Since the Joeys do have USB ports that right now are for "unknown" future support... I honestly would not be surprised to find out that you need an OTA USB stick at each Joey.

I have no inner circle knowledge... just saying Dish has been rather mum on future OTA support to date so I honestly wouldn't be surprised by anything at this point.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#5 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 05:15 PM

Right now we know that Joeys don't actually seem to have Internet connections unless you connect them directly... even though they are communicating with a Hopper that is on the Internet (see other threads discussing this).

Or have the HIC on the network if one needs to see the home network from a Joey.

Since the Joeys do have USB ports that right now are for "unknown" future support... I honestly would not be surprised to find out that you need an OTA USB stick at each Joey.

I would be surprised if a Joey could not use a Hopper's OTA tuner - but yes, we should wait for the product release.

#6 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,514 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:52 PM

Or have the HIC on the network if one needs to see the home network from a Joey.

True. I forgot to mention that.

I would be surprised if a Joey could not use a Hopper's OTA tuner - but yes, we should wait for the product release.

I would too... except I keep thinking... what reason if there for a USB port on a Joey IF it uses the internet connection of a Hopper and the EHD of a hopper and the OTA tuner of a Hopper?

The took connections like component off of the Joey to save money I would guess... so why leave a USB port on it that seems in theory to not ever be needed.

-- I like to go fast (not really)

#7 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,758 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 March 2012 - 07:58 PM

I don't see in XiP100's software anything what will support USB OTA tuner.

#8 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,806 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:01 PM

I would almost consider having an OTA connection that a Joey could use as a plus, maybe a big plus. If you could watch a network live from a Joey without using any tuner from the Hopper, that adds a possibility to watch something live while all tuners are recording. Best scenario - it can be either way, Joey sees the Hopper OTA, OR - can have it's own OTA.

#9 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,528 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 08:17 PM

I would too... except I keep thinking... what reason if there for a USB port on a Joey IF it uses the internet connection of a Hopper and the EHD of a hopper and the OTA tuner of a Hopper?

It doesn't. The Joey can use the internet of a HIC but at this point to see the home network you can't do that through a Hopper. You need an Ethernet connection - or perhaps a USB Wi-Fi stick?

#10 OFFLINE   Blowgun

Blowgun

Godfather

• Registered
  • 407 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

USB RF adapter to Wireless keyboard. The Joey will become the WebTV of the future. :)

Blowgun

#11 OFFLINE   bnborg

bnborg

Icon

• Registered
  • 616 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 05:18 PM

Getting back to the threads title, is there any news on how "soon" this will be enabled?

Has anyone tried a USB ATSC tuner in their hopper? I know it probably will just say "unsupported USB device". But who knows?
Dish Network VIP722k - Gold 250 + HD/Platinum
110,119, and 129 on Dish 1000.2
Dynex (BestBuy) 42" HDTV, Onkyo TX-SR303 Receiver

#12 OFFLINE   clotter

clotter

AllStar

• Registered
  • 105 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:00 PM

I have a DirecTV AM21 USB tuner that's nothing but a door stop now that I'm with Dish. Wouldn't it be a hoot if it worked with the Hopper. Unfortunately, no Hopper here to try it out on...

spam firewall