Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Hopper - S204 Software Experiences/Bugs Discuss

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,918 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:34 AM

Start spooling tonight.
Accompanying S2.56 for XiP110.
Each version's spool taking 2 Mbps at 119W tp19 and 61.5W tp29.

Edited by P Smith, 22 March 2012 - 12:40 AM.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   mdavej

mdavej

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,249 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 09:12 AM

Same bugs as before plus a few new ones:

- Browse doesn't use ascending/descending setting
- Popup in the Guide will not stay open with a single press of Record from an IR remote (UHF remote works fine)
- Weather app freezes video on exit. Returns only if you change to a music channel or hard reset.
- When exiting Apps with the Cancel button, video freezes on 404 - Not Found (hard reset required to recover from that one)

#3 OFFLINE   ZBoomer

ZBoomer

Icon

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:00 AM

New firmware spooled to my units last night; didn't even realize it till I read this, but went in to check the Hopper.

Got a scare when I turned it on; it looked like it had been reset to factory defaults. No timers, no PTAT enabled, my recordings all gone! The guide was also not loading, it was stuck.

Rebooted, and it APPEARS everything came back. Timers took a few minutes to show up even after the reboot finished.

Whew! I've had no issues this week, and don't want to start now!

"Partial Zoom" feature still broken in new firmware. It actually zooms a little MORE than full zoom.
Hopper 2000, 2x Joey 1.0 Dish Receivers, "America's Everything pack" with PlatHD
Pioneer Kuro PDP-6010FD 60" Plasma Display on Hopper (me), Samsung 40" LCD on Joey #1 (wife), Dell ST2410 HD Monitor on Joey #2 (office.)
Pioneer VSX-1018AH-K AVR Receiver, PS3, Klipsch Reference-Series Speakers

#4 OFFLINE   barcop

barcop

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 10 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 12:12 PM

Apps window won't go away until hard reset.
Still missing ability to manually set update time of day.

#5 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:38 PM

I got s204...still can't make a new timer. They better fix this by the weekend! Rediculous!

#6 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,480 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 22 March 2012 - 11:53 PM

Do you do a hard reboot (unplug of 20 seconds, plug it back in, let it do its thing) just as a matter of practice on the Hopper when it gets a new software update like we do with the 622/722/612 units?

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#7 OFFLINE   marcuscthomas

marcuscthomas

AllStar

• Registered
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:31 AM

Search won't search Program Guide, only existing DVR, PTAT, programs. Hard reset, and sitting overnight has not resolved this...yet.

Edit: Search works on one of my two Hoppers. Both are at 2.04

Edit 2: After 24 hours, this issue resolved itself.

Edited by marcuscthomas, 23 March 2012 - 02:26 PM.
update

#8 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:44 AM

I am thinking of doing a factory reset to fix my timer issue. Will I have to reactivate my Hopper after the reset? What will be impacted?

#9 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:05 AM

I just realized that I can't save PTAT programs to my external drive. Puts a wrinkle in my factory reset plan! Guess I will wait for the bug fix on the timer issue.

#10 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:24 AM

Factory reset will restore settings back to default that were changed by the user. I don't have the specific defaults for the Hopper but here is an idea of the possible affected changes:

When you press Menu on your remote, the different Icons will appear. HDTV is changed from 1080i to 480i, Closed Captioning is turned off, DVR Defaults are set to 1 Minute before and 3 End, Parental Controls may be affected, your customized Favorites list will change to List 1 to List 4, etc... You can go into each Icon to customize your settings.

You won't need to reactivate your receiver. If you have additional questions, please let me know. Thanks.

I am thinking of doing a factory reset to fix my timer issue. Will I have to reactivate my Hopper after the reset? What will be impacted?

#11 OFFLINE   Ray C@DISH Network

Ray C@DISH Network

Icon

• DISH Representative
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:32 AM

Are you saving the program to the internal drive first and then trying to move it to your EHD? I can't test this till I get home but I don't see why you can't move the program to the EHD is you have it saved to the internal HD.

The PTAT and internal recoring HD are on different partitions. Please let me know if you are saving the program first to the internal HD. Thanks.

I just realized that I can't save PTAT programs to my external drive. Puts a wrinkle in my factory reset plan! Guess I will wait for the bug fix on the timer issue.

#12 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

Yes...I have 3 programs saved to the internal drive. When I enter the transfer screen, the ptat shows don't show up to be transferred.

#13 OFFLINE   ferris209

ferris209

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 12 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:05 AM

Still missing ability to manually set update time of day.

Yeah, this is a really big problem for me. I am a shift worker, therefor I am also a night owl. 65% of my television viewing is after 10pm through 5am. I've noticed that at exactly 0100 hrs, the Hopper pops a box up which says it has to power down to check for updates. I press cancel and then at 0200 hrs, it does it again, at 0300 hrs again, 0400 hrs......... you get the picture. Every hour on the hour, my box is harassing me to let it shut down. They really need to remedy this, as us night owl viewers are people too!

Edited by ferris209, 25 March 2012 - 04:01 AM.

#14 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:37 AM

Yes...I have 3 programs saved to the internal drive. When I enter the transfer screen, the ptat shows don't show up to be transferred.

When I save a program it appears on the user side immediately. I think its just a pointer to the program on the PTAT partition. If I play a part of the program on the user side it gives me the option to resume on the PTAT side. I think that the actual file will transfer after 8 days - either that or its a big bug.

2H/1J

#15 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,905 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:56 AM

When I save a program it appears on the user side immediately. I think its just a pointer to the program on the PTAT partition. If I play a part of the program on the user side it gives me the option to resume on the PTAT side. I think that the actual file will transfer after 8 days - either that or its a big bug.

Hit the edit button on PTA programs that have been saved and they will show "0.0 GB". At least during the first 8 days. Day 9 coming soon. :)

#16 OFFLINE   Tortolita

Tortolita

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 17 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

Every morning, the active guide is reset to 'My Channels' instead of 'List 1' which it was left on.

When first turned on after being off for a while (2 hours or so) the volume is very loud. Changing to another channel and back brings the volume back to 'normal'.
Edit: Okay, it's not how long the power is off. If I shut off the Hopper and AV Receiver (Pioneer VSX-921) (using Logitech Harmony 880 remote 'off activity'), when I turn them both back on (again via 880 remote 'watch tv activity') the volume is very loud. Changing channel fixes it. Turning off and on just the Hopper or the AV Receiver individually does not reproduce the problem. I will try to change the power on order in the harmony activity to see if that changes things. Maybe the HDMI interface isn't getting setup correctly on power-up.
Edit2: Disabling Volume Leveling and then changing Mode to Line 'fixes' the problem. (Just disabling Volume Leveling does not fix it. Decoder is set to Dolby/PCM.)
Edit3: Changing the Harmony power on order from Hopper->AV Receiver->TV to AV Receiver->TV->Hopper avoids the problem.

Edited by Tortolita, 25 March 2012 - 03:43 PM.
More Info

#17 OFFLINE   spoiler1041

spoiler1041

• Registered
  • 1 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Yeah, this is a really big problem for me. I am a shift worker, therefor I am also a night owl. 65% of my television viewing is after 10pm through 5am. I've noticed that at exactly 0100 hrs, the Hopper pops a box up which says it has to power down to check for updates. I press cancel and then at 0200 hrs, it does it again, at 0300 hrs again, 0400 hrs......... you get the picture. Every hour on the hour, my box is harassing me to let it shut down. They really need to remedy this, as us night owl viewers are people too!

I finally just surrender and let it reboot each night. :)

Looking forward to this being changed! ! ! !

#18 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,702 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:19 PM

Every morning, the active guide is reset to 'My Channels' instead of 'List 1' which it was left on.

The 922 does this a lot too. Not every night, but I'd say about 3-4 days out of the week. I've given up asking Dish about it because either they don't care OR they intend it to behave this way.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#19 OFFLINE   wtrjock

wtrjock

AllStar

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:37 PM

I have just verified what James is talking about. I saved a PTAT program from 8 days ago. The program now shows 2gb and allows me to save to the external drive. So moral is you can't save a program to the external drive until after 8 days are up.

#20 OFFLINE   oldengineer

oldengineer

Godfather

• Registered
  • 455 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 06:27 AM

The 922 does this a lot too. Not every night, but I'd say about 3-4 days out of the week. I've given up asking Dish about it because either they don't care OR they intend it to behave this way.

One of my Hoppers does this.

The other Hopper drops channels from favorites lists. It seems to not like an even number of channels. One list has 154 channels and it keeps dropping down to 153. It always drops a channel in the 2-69 range. It's hard to add the channel back. I have to drop another and then add 2 back. After a while, a few hours sometimes, another channel will drop out.

2H/1J

Protected By... spam firewall...And...