Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

DNS setting on router

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:29 AM

I changed the WAN DNS setting on my router to use Google's public DNS. I find it noticeably faster then the Fios DNS. Do I also need to change my other devices' DNS settings that are currently pointing to my router's lan (192.168.100.1) address. I would think not, but just want to make sure.

Edit: Never mind, obviously NOT. Too early for logical thinking.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:28 AM

I changed the WAN DNS setting on my router to use Google's public DNS. I find it noticeably faster then the Fios DNS. Do I also need to change my other devices' DNS settings that are currently pointing to my router's lan (192.168.100.1) address. I would think not, but just want to make sure.

Edit: Never mind, obviously NOT. Too early for logical thinking.

I can't remember what site it is, but there is a site that will test the free public DNS servers to determine which one would be the fastest for you. I think in my case OpenDNS was the winner. I believe you can also put in the IP address of your ISP provider's to see how fast that is as well.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:54 PM

Actually I was using OpenDNS before I switched to Google. Google is noticeably faster for me.

I'd like to find that site.

#4 OFFLINE   jwd45244

jwd45244

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,510 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:00 PM

Try DNS Bench: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm
-- Jim D.
DirecTV sub. since 1998
Slimline w/ SWM LNB---- (mounted on CommDeck) ----> SWM Power Inserter -----> CM4002IFD Diplexer
Winegard OTA Antenna ------------------> CM7777 OTA Amplifier ----------------> CM4002IFD Diplexer
CM4002IFD Diplexer ----> STS-4 splitter ----> HR20-700 - Vizio VO32L, HR20-700 - SDTV, HR21-200 (w/ AM21) - Vizio VX42L, HR21-200 - SDTV; CM4001IFD as splitting diplexer on all legs; All networked

#5 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:13 AM

It depends (on setting clients DNS address directly or not). The router I'm currently using (a Netgear WNR3700 (one of the SamKnows routers) acts as a DNS proxy to it's DHCP clients, so it sends its address as the only DNS server . I'm generally of the feeling that "routers should route, and DNS should come from a real DNS server", so I usually manually set DNS settings for the devices that allow that.
You CAN put antennas on your owned and/or controlled property...

http://www.fcc.gov/mb/facts/otard.html

#6 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,562 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 05:35 AM

For the moment, I'm using Level 3's

A list of others here:
http://www.tech-faq....ns-servers.html
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#7 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

You do realize that all the 4.2.2.x DNS servers are more than likely in the same building / server rack / network ?

I prefer to have geographically separated DNS servers, to the extent possible.

#8 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Try DNS Bench: http://www.grc.com/dns/benchmark.htm

Thanks, I will try it. I also found an application that does the same thing called NAMEBENCH: http://code.google.com/p/namebench/

It concurred with my opinion that Google was fastest by a lot.

#9 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2012 - 12:06 PM

You do realize that all the 4.2.2.x DNS servers are more than likely in the same building / server rack / network ?

I prefer to have geographically separated DNS servers, to the extent possible.

That's most likely not how it works. Most likely if we both use 4.2.2.2, we'd connect to different servers. If one went down that we used, we'd connect to a different one. It's a bit like the root DNS servers. There are only 16 addresses, but many more servers, they use Anycast.

#10 OFFLINE   scooper

scooper

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,727 posts
  • LocationYoungsville NC

Posted 24 March 2012 - 02:40 PM

That's most likely not how it works. Most likely if we both use 4.2.2.2, we'd connect to different servers. If one went down that we used, we'd connect to a different one. It's a bit like the root DNS servers. There are only 16 addresses, but many more servers, they use Anycast.

Still - for a given user - those 4-6 IPs will likely all be at the same location.

#11 OFFLINE   dpeters11

dpeters11

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,736 posts
  • LocationCincinnati

Posted 24 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

It would route you to a closest available server, but most want to spread it across a large area to get around problems. If the one close to you isn't available, it will send you to another one somewhere else. This is why the threat to take down the DNS system, of it really is Anonymous threatening it, won't work.

#12 OFFLINE   Groundhog45

Groundhog45

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,088 posts
  • LocationCedar Park, Texas

Posted 26 March 2012 - 12:36 PM

I would also recommend Steve Gibson's site.

The problem I see with using the Google site is that you're giving them one more way to track everywhere you go on the internet.

See also the link from Gibson about DNS spoofing and how to check for that. Link here.

Richard -- DirecTV since '97
Team SETI.USA

spam firewall