Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Sides of picture cropped on R22

9 d12

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   qwerty

qwerty

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Owner of a R22-100 running SD on a HDTV, you can turn native off and change the format to your desired liking......This gives you all the formatting options which those with HD access have, you just will get the output in SD.... Access the settings/display, and you will see your options..

Tried that - it has no effect. Thanks anyway.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   qwerty

qwerty

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:28 PM

I'm curious though as to what the OP would want. Without HD access on DIRECTV's system all SD feeds are limited to a 4:3 frame regardless.

Which means they can only crop the picture, letterbox it, or maybe some combination of the two using "Active Format Description" (AFD). If "cropped" its the present image you have. If letter-boxed without zooming it will cause a window-box image on an HD set with matte bars all around.

I'd like to be able to see the whole picture. In this case, the guards dribbling the ball near the time line. Letter box would be fine. I don't think that's unreasonable.

#23 OFFLINE   qwerty

qwerty

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:30 PM

Resolutions are one thing, while format is another, which seems like your issue.
See what happens with the remote when you cycle/press the format button near the upper left [one down from the top].

Yeah, I know that. I don't know what got into me :)

I don't have a format button.

#24 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

Yeah, I know that. I don't know what got into me :)

I don't have a format button.

What remote do you have?
While you may not be able to change the format [due to being locked as an SD DVR], the DirecTV remote should have the button.
A.K.A VOS

#25 OFFLINE   qwerty

qwerty

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:22 AM

What remote do you have?
While you may not be able to change the format [due to being locked as an SD DVR], the DirecTV remote should have the button.

It doesn't say, but I think it's an RC64.

#26 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:55 AM

It doesn't say, but I think it's an RC64.

If it's an RC28 or above, the format button is the second one down on the upper left, where the top is the input select for the TV.
A.K.A VOS

#27 OFFLINE   CCarncross

CCarncross

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 7,058 posts
  • LocationJackson

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:23 AM

Every D* remote I have ever seen has the model right on it in the upper LH corner, what does yours say there? I've got 2 labelled as RC65R, and one older RC34.

#28 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:36 AM

I'd like to be able to see the whole picture. In this case, the guards dribbling the ball near the time line. Letter box would be fine. I don't think that's unreasonable.

But then the station would have issues with window-boxing of the picture, which becomes particularly gruesome with up-converted 4:3 material that many other SD viewers may not be so fine with.

So the station had to make a compromise somewhere in selecting 4:3 crop of their 16:9 HD signal.

I would argue that the best solution for SD users short of forgetting about the whole thing and converting to HD, is for the stations or MSOs to use AFD on their SD feeds.

Sadly though, for whatever reasons, outside of NBC (consistently) and Fox (sometimes) O&O stations, not many are using ADF on their SD feeds.

#29 OFFLINE   HoTat2

HoTat2

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,020 posts
  • LocationLos Angeles, CA.

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:40 AM

I happen to be using an older RC64 right now, and I can assure you that the FORMAT button is there.

Second one from the upper top left ... ;)

#30 OFFLINE   qwerty

qwerty

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 1,786 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

Maybe it's not the RC64. I don't see any model or format button.

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1803.jpg
  • IMG_1804.jpg

#31 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:09 PM

Strange that it doesn't show it.

So, the only other place to check is in the setup menu.
A.K.A VOS

#32 OFFLINE   Edmund

Edmund

Remote Master

• DBSTalk Club
  • 1,757 posts
  • LocationSouthern Ca

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:35 PM

Thats the RC16 remote.
aka Tivoburkee

#33 OFFLINE   markfp

markfp

Legend

• Registered
  • 189 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:38 PM

I agree that it's not unreasonable, but people like those of us on these boards are the minority whether we like it or not. The vast majority of viewers hate letterbox or anything that doesn't fill every single inch of their screens. That's why they adjust their TV to crop or blow up the picture regardless of the distortion it causes.

I guess the networks would rather deal with a relatively small number of complaints from us than much larger numbers asking if their TV "is broken" because there black bars on it.

#34 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 09:47 AM

How do you "lock" the format so it stays at unaltered and doesn't cycle through crop/stretch/etc when you press the format button on the remote? I'm constantly having to change my receivers back to "unaltered" after someone presses the format button by mistake and doesn't realize it.

#35 OFFLINE   veryoldschool

veryoldschool

Lifetime Achiever

• Moderators
  • 41,755 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 11:48 AM

How do you "lock" the format so it stays at unaltered and doesn't cycle through crop/stretch/etc when you press the format button on the remote? I'm constantly having to change my receivers back to "unaltered" after someone presses the format button by mistake and doesn't realize it.

There isn't an option that I know of.
A.K.A VOS

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 9 d12

Protected By... spam firewall...And...