Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

"Smash" gets second season from NBC

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:35 AM

From TVbytheNumbers (and others):

NBC has renewed its critically acclaimed musical drama “Smash” (Mondays, 10-11 p.m. ET) for a second season, it was announced today by Robert Greenblatt, Chairman of NBC Entertainment.

“Smash” is NBC's #1 drama in adults 18-49 and total viewers. "Smash" is up 160 percent in 18-49 versus NBC's season average in the time period prior to "Smash" (with a 2.6 rating vs. a 1.0, "live plus same day") and in total viewers, "Smash" has improved the time period by 100 percent (7.7 million vs. 3.9 million).

I glad to see it renewed though I'm finding recent episodes of the show a little too bogged down in soap story arcs and I'm not real impressed with Debra Messing in this show. But the rest of the cast is excellent and the development of the production of "Marilyn: the Musical" is fun to watch.

And poor NBC. To be thrilled with ratings that places the show #3 in a competition of 3....

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,267 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:35 AM

And poor NBC. To be thrilled with ratings that places the show #3 in a competition of 3....

It's like the old joke of Russia and the U.S. competing in basketball in the Olympics after everyone else boycotted. The U.S. wins and the headlines in the U.S. the next day read, "U.S. Defeats Russia. Wins Gold Medal." The Russian papers' headlines the next day are "Russia Wins Silver Medal. U.S. Places Next to Last." :)

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#3 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• Registered
  • 12,978 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 23 March 2012 - 10:43 AM

I was just thinking how Ms. Messing seems lost here- not a good role for her. The story is way slow, and I wonder if they have enough to even finish out this year....
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#4 OFFLINE   Stuart Sweet

Stuart Sweet

The Shadow Knows!

• Super Moderators
  • 36,878 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:39 AM

I had high hopes after seeing the first show. I've been a little let down. The show needs more of Ms. Huston (who is divine), many more songs, and a lot less of that "Ellis" character. He's no fun.
Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, DISH, The Signal Group, or any other company.

#5 OFFLINE   Steve

Steve

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 22,645 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 11:43 AM

Agree about Ellis. Glad AH put him in his place.

The Mrs. and I are still really enjoying the show, so I'm happy it got renewed. The "Marilyn" musical production numbers are first rate, IMHO. Makes me want to see the play for real, should it ever make it to Broadway.

I was also happy to see Bernadette Peters looking so good. It's been years since I saw her in anything, and she's still "got it", IMHO.
/steve

#6 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:19 PM

Well that's good news at least!

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#7 OFFLINE   phrelin

phrelin

Hall Of Fame

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 13,523 posts
  • LocationNorthern California Redwoods

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:28 AM

It appears that NBC has recognized that the show has "creative" problems. According to Deadline Hollywood the show "will return next fall without its creator/executive producer/showrunner Theresa Rebeck."

According to the story:

While the pilot of Smash was universally praised, there have been some qualms about the creative direction of the series — chronicling the creation of a Marilyn Monroe Broadway musical — which became increasingly soapy. Additionally, Smash, which started off big and broad, sometimes meandered into niche territory by focusing too much on the insider Broadway stuff over the human drama of the two singers, played by Megan Hilty and Katharine McPhee, battling it out for the role of their career. Rebeck, a playwright in addition to being a screenwriter, will have a continuing presence on Smash — the female lead on the show, Julia (Debra Messing), half of a successful Broadway writing team, was based on her.

I think they could have a much stronger second season if they bring in the right writers. Therein lies the challenge.

"In a hundred years there'll be a whole new set of people."
"Always poke the bears. They sleep too much for their own good."

"If you're good enough, they'll talk about you." - Tom Harmon
A GEEZER who remembers watching TV in 1951 and was an Echostar customer from 1988 to 2008, now a Dish Network customer.
My AV Setup
My Slingbox Pro HD Experience
My Blog: The Redwood Guardian

#8 OFFLINE   Henry

Henry

Retired Member

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,276 posts
  • LocationPine, CO

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:12 AM

Whoop, whoop, whoop!!!
VIP722kDVR (Living Room)
VIP211 (Bedroom)
VIP622DVR (Art Room)

DMA 18 (Denver)

#9 OFFLINE   LOCODUDE

LOCODUDE

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,658 posts
  • LocationNew York

Posted 24 March 2012 - 01:16 PM

Liked the first episode as well, hope the second season will be better.

“The cave you fear to enter, holds the treasure you seek.” 
― 
Joseph Campbell

#10 OFFLINE   TBlazer07

TBlazer07

Grumpy Grampy

• Registered
  • 4,777 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

I don't know why but I usually hate shows like this, but I just love Smash. Maybe it's just Katherine McPhee I love especially when she closes her sexy eyes and belts out a song at a Bar Mitzvah. :lol:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...