Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pandora getting crappier

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 01:56 PM

They're pumping in a lot more commercials now compared to when the app first came on line. Still have a very noticable snap/pop between tunes. And now a tune starts to play, and a few seconds into it, anothers tune comes in and overrides it. Very annoying. All this stuff really blows.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:01 PM

They're pumping in a lot more commercials now compared to when the app first came on line. Still have a very noticable snap/pop between tunes. And now a tune starts to play, and a few seconds into it, anothers tune comes in and overrides it. Very annoying. All this stuff really blows.

...it's a feature provided to you at no additional cost. You don't have to use it if you are so unhappy with it.

#3 OFFLINE   harsh

harsh

Beware the Attack Basset

• Registered
  • 19,014 posts
  • LocationSalem, OR

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:26 PM

DIRECTV seems to have this effect on music services.

It is obviously the subscriber's fault for trying to use the much ballyhooed feature.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought. -- JFK

#4 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Moderators
  • 13,923 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:53 PM

...it's a feature provided to you at no additional cost. You don't have to use it if you are so unhappy with it.

While that may be true, this is a discussion forum for DIRECTV stuff. These kinds of discussions can help members find solutions...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

µß
Since it costs 2.4¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 4.8¢ worth.  That 4.8¢ is my own and not the 4.8¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#5 OFFLINE   wahooq

wahooq

Icon

• Registered
  • 922 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 02:59 PM

what model rcvr? what software? mine has always operated seamlessly
My comments and opinions are my own and not necessarily those of DirecTV.

#6 OFFLINE   Scott Kocourek

Scott Kocourek

On the edge

• Super Moderators
  • 9,156 posts
  • LocationWisconsin

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:04 PM

The problems you are having have happened on and off for the past year that I have been using Pandora on my PC and phone. There have always been commercials and I'm not sure using Pandora through your DIRECTV receiver adds anymore. I use the Pandora app on my receiver on a somewhat regular basis and find it works just as well as any other way of getting it.

Opinions expressed by me are my own and do not necessarily reflect
those of DBSTalk.com, DIRECTV, Dish Network, or any other company.
Become a DBSTalk.com member or join the CE program HERE

#7 OFFLINE   dcowboy7

dcowboy7

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 4,649 posts
  • LocationPequannock, NJ

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:29 PM

"....and Leon's getting larger !"

#8 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 03:49 PM

While that may be true, this is a discussion forum for DIRECTV stuff. These kinds of discussions can help members find solutions...I'm just sayin' :grin:

Mike

This is an issue with Pandora, not DirecTV. It isn't DirecTV stuff, unless the complaint is about the controls or UI.
DTV = Digital Television

#9 OFFLINE   Shades228

Shades228

Hall Of Fame

• Banned User
  • 5,914 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:08 PM

The pop between songs is usually when you have DD on. I noticed it a lot more when I would have a TV show going that was on a DD channel but music playing. Due to the receiver not locking the audio it can have a sound pops as it swaps between songs.
All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#10 OFFLINE   sasserfolk

sasserfolk

AllStar

• Registered
  • 50 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:20 PM

I noticed the changing halfway through a song a couple of days ago. I does not do it at first but after 5 or 6 songs it starts skipping to the next song. I have a HR-24 500.

#11 OFFLINE   slickshoes

slickshoes

Legend

• Registered
  • 257 posts
  • LocationSouthern California

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:24 PM

Trust me, all these snazzy features require very pricey contracts on Directv's part, so you betcha these costs are passed onto us the consumer...

#12 OFFLINE   ThomasM

ThomasM

RF Engineer

• Registered
  • 4,317 posts
  • LocationMilwaukee, WI

Posted 23 March 2012 - 04:42 PM

DIRECTV seems to have this effect on music services.

Quite the contrary.

Since adding DMX (Sonic Tap), the quality has improved 150%. In addition, additional programmers must have been added since the stale playlists that existed when DirecTV added the service now contain fresh updates every couple weeks.

And there are no obnoxious blabby DJ's like on XM. In fact, when my XM sub in the car expires in May it won't be renewed. Enjoying DMX at home via DirecTV and then getting in the car and putting up with all that blabbling makes me wish I could put a dish on top of the car!!

3LNB Phase III Dish * 2-R15-300 * R22-200 * D12-100 * DirecTV Subscriber since Y2K

#13 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:22 PM

You seem to be saying that since I don't pay for Pandora that poor service is acceptable. IMO I feel that if DTV makes this available they should make sure it is a good service not a crappy one.

#14 OFFLINE   sammib

sammib

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 56 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:24 PM

You seem to be saying that since I don't pay for Pandora that poor service is acceptable. IMO I feel that if DTV makes this available they should make sure it is a good service not a crappy one.

I was answering Hoosier205

#15 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:37 PM

The service (that you believe is poor) goes back to Pandora, not DirecTV. What you are doing makes as much sense as blaming DirecTV for not liking the season premier of Mad Men on AMC.
DTV = Digital Television

#16 OFFLINE   steinmeg

steinmeg

Legend

• Registered
  • 169 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 05:38 PM

I find that they play the same songs again and again...I have a rat pack station, and every time I start it it plays either, " Boys Night OUt" or some song with Venice in the title...
Pandora needs some new material

#17 OFFLINE   joed32

joed32

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,666 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:12 AM

I have Pandora through my Roku box for free with no commercials as that's the deal between the two companies. So I don't get ads on any product that I use for Pandora including Directv.

#18 OFFLINE   Rich

Rich

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 20,918 posts
  • LocationPiscataway, NJ

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:40 AM

I have Pandora through my Roku box for free with no commercials as that's the deal between the two companies. So I don't get ads on any product that I use for Pandora including Directv.

Same thing with my Sammy BD players. No problems at all. I'm not sure why D* even bothered with it.

Rich

#19 OFFLINE   BetterThanMost

BetterThanMost

Mentor

• Registered
  • 63 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:54 AM

I have a HR22-100 and listened to Pandora for about 2 hours on Thursday afternoon. I didn't hear any pops, nor had any songs stop halfway thru. I also didn't hear any commercials.

JVC HD-52G886 w/HR34-700 & C31-700 networked with WCCK
JVC AV-32320 w/HR22-1000
SHARP 13L-M100 w/C31-700

SLIMLINE 5S (SWM)

#20 OFFLINE   ejjames

ejjames

Icon

• Registered
  • 896 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:04 AM

I have 2 DVRs with the latest national release. My HR20 has you tube and pandora, my HR24 does not. Any ideas?

I have the firefox add on "ad block plus" for my pc, and although I just have their basic service, I have no ads.
Former USSB uplink operator.

USSB from '95 to '99

DirecTv since '95

Protected By... spam firewall...And...