Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Pandora getting crappier

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Never say 'never'.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,351 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:44 AM

Trust me, all these snazzy features require very pricey contracts on Directv's part, so you betcha these costs are passed onto us the consumer...

I'll trust you when you flesh out why there might be pricey contracts signed by DIRECTV® in the first place. Or a cite or two.
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#22 OFFLINE   ndole

ndole

Problem Solver

• Registered
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:43 AM

I've noticed an increased number of ads through my phone, which I use in the car. It can get annoying when there are two or three commercials in a row when I'm on a five or ten minute drive, I feel like at that point that I might as well have just turned on the radio.
I haven't used the Pandora app on Directv in awhile since my livingroom IRD [HR34] doesn't have it yet, so I can't say that I've noticed the increase in ads there.
"He that is good for making excuses is seldom good for anything else."

#23 OFFLINE   bnwrx

bnwrx

Icon

• Registered
  • 969 posts
  • Locationcolorado, in the mountains.....

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:24 AM

I have a HR22-100 and listened to Pandora for about 2 hours on Thursday afternoon. I didn't hear any pops, nor had any songs stop halfway thru. I also didn't hear any commercials.

Ditto(almost,HR21-100)...41/2 hrs on Saturday...maybe 5 commercials...no popping...no halfways...sounded pretty darn good...better than FM these days with all the ads...and I was one of the first to complain about ads on Pandora when DTV first offered this...overall pretty happy with the free service...:rolleyes:

HR44-500 HDMI to 42"Toshiba
HR21-100 HDMI to 32" LG and 20" AOC

Directv since 1996(the USSB,Pegasus days...)
...sometimes, there is no answer...
http://woodlandweather.org/

#24 OFFLINE   Go Beavs

Go Beavs

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,420 posts
  • LocationPortland, OR DMA

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have 2 DVRs with the latest national release. My HR20 has you tube and pandora, my HR24 does not. Any ideas?

I have the firefox add on "ad block plus" for my pc, and although I just have their basic service, I have no ads.

Try a double reboot on your HR24 to flush the cache. That has worked for most who had not gotten Pandora to show up after the recent firmware update.

Genie, Hx2x, nomad
D* customer since Oct '99

#25 OFFLINE   Darcaine

Darcaine

Legend

• Registered
  • 103 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 08:57 PM

I find that they play the same songs again and again...I have a rat pack station, and every time I start it it plays either, " Boys Night OUt" or some song with Venice in the title...
Pandora needs some new material

I find it helpful to add other songs or artists to my custom station, as well as rating each song that comes on with a thumbs up or thumbs down. That way Pandora gets a feel for what I like and don't like and over time is able to provide a wide range of the music I enjoy, even stuff that I've never heard before but still end up liking.

I used the Directv app for the first time today, while not as great as it is on my media center PC, phone, tablet, smart tv, BD player etc, (the popping between songs was VERY annoying), it was still better than the music channels I pay for with my DTV subscription.

#26 OFFLINE   inf0z

inf0z

Legend

• Registered
  • 263 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

They're pumping in a lot more commercials now compared to when the app first came on line. Still have a very noticable snap/pop between tunes. And now a tune starts to play, and a few seconds into it, anothers tune comes in and overrides it. Very annoying. All this stuff really blows.

Buy the subscription to Pandora, it's not that expensive and well worth it since it can be used any where there is an internet connection. I listen to it on my phone in my car or where ever I might be, on my DIRECTV receiver when I'm cleaning my house, and on my computer while I'm gaming. All commercial free!

Edited by inf0z, 25 March 2012 - 11:00 PM.
You dawg, I heard you like pandora

Protected By... spam firewall...And...