Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

New Apartment Complex Owners vs DirecTV

• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 06:18 PM

I usually try to follow the rules, but if It's going to cost a lot of money, We'll just mount it to the wall, and whenever I move out, I can easily plug up the holes. Good Grief, these people are Ridiculous!
Proud DirecTV Subscriber since 1.6.2012 :)
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#22 OFFLINE   Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 07:53 PM

I usually try to follow the rules, but if It's going to cost a lot of money, We'll just mount it to the wall, and whenever I move out, I can easily plug up the holes. Good Grief, these people are Ridiculous!

When me and the wife lived in a apartment we had the oh "Bucket Job".....pole in a 5 gallon bucket filled with cement(yes directv guy did it) after it was dry the wife put some fake flower arrangements ontop of the bucket and around the pole and viola!! Haha We were able to drill through the wall as I patched when we moved out but like someone said earlier in this post about the flat window seal wire maybe try. We were on the first floor and all this took place on the balcony

#23 OFFLINE   adkinsjm

adkinsjm

Icon

• Registered
  • 914 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:41 PM

I can see how the new owners don't want a bunch of dishes. Lots of ugly dishes and holes left behind when tenants move

#24 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:51 PM

How can you mount it to the wall when the addendum you signed said you can't drill holes in the walls?

#25 OFFLINE   Tech_1438

Tech_1438

Legend

• Registered
  • 156 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:39 PM

I went to the leasing office, and they weren't very cooperative, but then I called the fine folks at DirecTV :sure: and they said that they would be out on Monday morning and relocate the dish for free (still within my 90 days)

Be prepared for disappointment.

"Still within my 90 days" indicates that a service call has been generated. This should not have been generated as a service call, and should have been generated as an "upgrade" for an ODU relocate. Someone signed off on the current location of the installed dish. Unless there is a LOS (line of sight) issue, I don't see this as a service call. The installing technician (from January) will be charged back $$$ if this is a service call, and the job is closed. Not really fair, and probably not appropriate.

It sounds like you may be limited to a rail-mount or non-pen mount from your exclusive use area. Those options may have been free during installation, but most likely will not be free now.

Do not expect the technician to have these additional mounting options readily available on his truck, unless the account/work order has been heavily noted as such. And even then...................:nono:

Good Luck!!

#26 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:53 PM

The way I understood it, the Lease addendum he signed prohibited where he installed the dish, but the owner then was allowing the tenants to make those installations. From his first post:

Gotcha. I had mis-read as to what the addendum said. In this case, the OP is out of luck. The new management is enforcing the addendum that had not been previously.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#27 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,090 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:52 PM

Didnt the installer need to get managements signed permission to install a dish on a multi-resident dwelling? If the previous owner signed off on it, that would nullify the addendum in court I would think. Just an idea, assuming Directv actually keeps those records.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#28 OFFLINE   n3vino

n3vino

Godfather

• Registered
  • 365 posts
  • LocationLeon Valley(San Antonio), Texas

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:13 AM

Be prepared for disappointment.

"Still within my 90 days" indicates that a service call has been generated. This should not have been generated as a service call, and should have been generated as an "upgrade" for an ODU relocate. Someone signed off on the current location of the installed dish. Unless there is a LOS (line of sight) issue, I don't see this as a service call. The installing technician (from January) will be charged back $$$ if this is a service call, and the job is closed. Not really fair, and probably not appropriate.

Doesn't the technician require in writing that the tenant has permission to put the dish on the roof, or anywhere else that requires drilling holes in an apartment building? If the tech can't produce that permission, he may have done an improper install, and I would think that he would be charged back. If I remember correctly, DirectTV tells you prior to installation that you need such permission in writing. Doesn't seem fair, but isn't that DirectTV's rule? Just wondering.

#29 OFFLINE   HobbyTalk

HobbyTalk

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,659 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:49 AM

You have to remember that the complex's owners will get a kickback from the provider for each subscriber they get. There is an incentive for them to eliminate all satellite subscribers.
DirecTV HR34 - 3 HR25's
Panny 42PX77U - Slingbox Pro
tgif: let's RV

#30 OFFLINE   The Merg

The Merg

1*

• Registered
  • 10,253 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA

Posted 25 March 2012 - 06:55 AM

Doesn't the technician require in writing that the tenant has permission to put the dish on the roof, or anywhere else that requires drilling holes in an apartment building? If the tech can't produce that permission, he may have done an improper install, and I would think that he would be charged back. If I remember correctly, DirectTV tells you prior to installation that you need such permission in writing. Doesn't seem fair, but isn't that DirectTV's rule? Just wondering.

I don't know if they require it in writing. It might just be that the customer needs to make sure it is allowed. Now, if the customer does have something in writing dated after the addendum, that would supersede the addendum.

- Merg

Today's problems don't worry me, I haven't solved yesterday's yet.

SlimLine-3 Dish w/ SWM16 (HD Service / WHDVR) / Full Setup
HR34-700 / Panasonic TC-P50G25 HDTV / HDMI / Networked - DECA / Family Room
HR44-700 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

HR24-100 / Samsung HCM5525W HDTV / Component / Networked - DECA / Bedroom

#31 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 01:40 PM

It was Very Informal with the old owner. Everyone here has known the DirecTV guy for years and everyone was cool with each other. Nothing was signed it was just verbally agreed upon. The new owners are having a hard time understanding this, which I guess is understandable, but they're going to lose a lot of tenants if they keep up this fight.

It turns out, the reason why they have to be taken off the roof, is because they're getting a new roof. I think if they would've told us this at the beginning, things would not have gotten so heated.

So yeah, I'm just going to ask the DirecTV dude to mount it below the roof, that way there's no LOS issue and I'll plug up the holes when I move out. If they want to evict me over it, fine, but I'm not going to pay out the wazzoo for a dish installation.
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

#32 OFFLINE   NewForceFiveFan

NewForceFiveFan

Legend

• Registered
  • 213 posts

Posted 26 March 2012 - 08:39 AM

The little guy snapped his fingers at me! LOL, I've never had that happen before !rolling

That's a threat of physical bodily harm. Was there witnesses? You have the right to file criminal charges against the snapper. :lol:

#33 OFFLINE   Accordlayingkit

Accordlayingkit

AllStar

• Registered
  • 75 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 08:31 PM

In our old apartment we jus had to have renters insurance that was covered up to like a million bucks and show proof in order to have a dish installed.....sounds expensive but really wasn't bad

Edited by Accordlayingkit, 27 March 2012 - 08:40 PM.

#34 OFFLINE   trh

trh

This Space for Sale

• Registered
  • 3,285 posts
  • LocationNE FL

Posted 27 March 2012 - 09:28 PM

So yeah, I'm just going to ask the DirecTV dude to mount it below the roof, that way there's no LOS issue and I'll plug up the holes when I move out.

How did it go yesterday with the installer?

#35 OFFLINE   AquiringSat

AquiringSat

AllStar

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:26 PM

The DirecTV guy, Jeremy (shout out!) was Amazing! He talked with the people at the leasing office about becoming a DirecTV MDU complex since most of the tenants have DirecTV anyway. They are considering it. So for now, we get to leave the dishes on the roof. Some type of a decision is suppose to be made by the end of the week.
HR-34
Premier Package
MLB Extra Innings

spam firewall