Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

2 Hoppers for free!!!??????Anyone??

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:24 PM

Has anyone been able to get 2 Hoppers for free?

I am a new sub subscribing to AT250 + Blockbuster@Home + Whole Home DVR + HD and I had the guy down to $50 on the second one with the first being free. Not good enough, :nono: I said no.
DTV offered me an HR-34 and an HR-24 for free, so I figure if I can get 7 tuners for free there, I should be able to get 6 from E* for free. I think I shall play CSR roulette the next couple hours, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been successful getting this deal I am shooting for.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#2 OFFLINE   garys

garys

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,164 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 06:55 PM

No, second Hopper is anywhere from $99 to $199. Take the $50 and stay ahead of the game.

#3 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

I am still on the phone with them. It isn't finalized yet, but I thing I got it. :grin:

#4 OFFLINE   bshady

bshady

Cool Member

• Topic Starter
  • Registered
  • 11 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 07:42 PM

*think

#5 OFFLINE   SayWhat?

SayWhat?

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,582 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:27 PM

I think I shall play CSR roulette the next couple hours ...

bshady

Being shady indeed.
Help stamp out Twits and Twitterers!

HD, SchmacHD!! Just be glad you've got a picture at all.

#6 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 March 2012 - 08:33 PM

Who knows, may be he has something in his [credit] history what will allowed to get two h2k for free ?

#7 OFFLINE   RasputinAXP

RasputinAXP

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,135 posts

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:33 PM

Do they keep naked pictures of Charlie in your credit history?

"Belligerent and numerous."

Sometimes I update the Dish Network FAQ

AT200, Hopper & 360 via HDMI to Onkyo 505 to basement 42" Westy, Hopper via Comp-over-Cat5 to living room 42" Vizio with a Roku 3, Joey to Toshiba 32" LCD with a Logitech Revue. You want fries with that? Pull up to the 2nd window.

#8 OFFLINE   P Smith

P Smith

Mr. FixAnything

• Registered
  • 19,858 posts
  • LocationMediterranean Sea

Posted 23 March 2012 - 09:53 PM

Very smart ! :down:

#9 OFFLINE   coldsteel

coldsteel

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,984 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:46 AM

Yeah, I DOUBT this will happen.
DISH 625 dvr

The opinions posted on this site are my own and do not represent DISH Network's positions, strategies or opinions. Unless I decide to be bad or call out an idiot...

#10 OFFLINE   tampa8

tampa8

Godfather/Supporter

• Registered
  • 1,812 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:17 AM

Not going to happen. I don't even believe the $50 for the second one. (Not saying I don't believe the poster, I don't believe the person telling him that)

#11 OFFLINE   TBoneit

TBoneit

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,276 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 11:59 AM

Has anyone been able to get 2 Hoppers for free?

I am a new sub subscribing to AT250 + Blockbuster@Home + Whole Home DVR + HD and I had the guy down to $50 on the second one with the first being free. Not good enough, :nono: I said no.
DTV offered me an HR-34 and an HR-24 for free, so I figure if I can get 7 tuners for free there, I should be able to get 6 from E* for free. I think I shall play CSR roulette the next couple hours, but I just wanted to know if anyone else had been successful getting this deal I am shooting for.

They should have just let you go to DirecTV and charged You the Early termination fee.
Remember when your kids were the TV set's remote control?

#12 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 08:03 PM

Pretty shady to think your entitled to all those freebies.

#13 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 09:46 PM

Pretty shady to think your entitled to all those freebies.

Entitled? Please. Given that Dish still owns the equipment AND you pay a monthly fee for each device it isn't a sense of entitlement. You get what you can get, while you can get it.

Dish gives him what he wants or he moves on to try to get a deal from someone else. It's a free market.

#14 OFFLINE   Inkosaurus

Inkosaurus

Icon

• Registered
  • 678 posts

Posted 24 March 2012 - 10:56 PM

Entitled? Please. Given that Dish still owns the equipment AND you pay a monthly fee for each device it isn't a sense of entitlement. You get what you can get, while you can get it.

Dish gives him what he wants or he moves on to try to get a deal from someone else. It's a free market.

My point is that its ridiculous to expect to get even more Free stuff from a company (the second free/discounted hopper) When they are already giving you PLENTY in exchange for a the first month up front and a 2 year contract.

So yeah when a company invests almost 800$ in getting a single new customer set up, and they go and demand even more stuff free i would say its a false sense of entitlement.

#15 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:21 AM

My point is that its ridiculous to expect to get even more Free stuff from a company (the second free/discounted hopper) When they are already giving you PLENTY in exchange for a the first month up front and a 2 year contract.

So yeah when a company invests almost 800$ in getting a single new customer set up, and they go and demand even more stuff free i would say its a false sense of entitlement.

But how ridiculous is it to expect the customer to care how much it costs Dish to provide a service that the customer pays for?

The local cable company and phone company will drop off anything that I want. I can replace my 3 DVR's with Time Warner or Cincinnati Bell DVR's and they won't charge me a dime upfront. Their monthly rental fees are in line with what Dish charges for a DVR, and substantially higher than what DIRECTV charges, but they'll leave anything that I want behind and won't charge me a dime for it beyond the monthly fees that we've all resigned ourselves to paying for a DVR.

The thought that I, as a paying customer have some obligation to keep in mind how much it costs Dish to install a new customer is laughable. Dish wants this guy's business or they don't. He CAN find as many free DVR's as he wants. It's up to Dish to decide if they can do it or not.

You get a new customer deal exactly one time unless you are willing to hop between providers every two years. I don't have any problem with a person getting anything and everything that they can before committing to a contract that locks them into service for two years.

#16 OFFLINE   patmurphey

patmurphey

Godfather

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 10:29 AM

A better question is, what makes you so special that you are entitled to a better deal than any other customer. If cable's better, go, if Direct is better, go.

#17 OFFLINE   Stewart Vernon

Stewart Vernon

Excellent Adventurer

• Moderators
  • 19,598 posts
  • LocationKittrell, NC

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:06 AM

You get a new customer deal exactly one time unless you are willing to hop between providers every two years. I don't have any problem with a person getting anything and everything that they can before committing to a contract that locks them into service for two years.

There's never anything wrong with asking for anything and everything... but you should never expect anything.

I always encourage people to ask, because you never know...but to expect and think you deserve and get mad if you aren't offered the deal you want? That's entitlement issues.

You're right that Dish decides whether they want you as a customer or not... but you decide if you want to be a Dish customer or not.

The process should be.... Dish offers a deal, you ask for something better... Dish either counters or doesn't... and you decide if it is worth it. Done deal or not, there shouldn't be any entitlement or anger involved.

-- Respect the S.H.I.E.L.D.

#18 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,280 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

The process should be.... Dish offers a deal, you ask for something better... Dish either counters or doesn't... and you decide if it is worth it. Done deal or not, there shouldn't be any entitlement or anger involved.

Amen! That's the way I look at it. I'll always ask for the moon and know that I will probably get something less, but I just might get more than they planned on giving me in the first place.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700, Dish Hopper w/Sling & Super Joey
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#19 OFFLINE   dualsub2006

dualsub2006

Icon

• Registered
  • 837 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:30 AM

I think that's pretty much what I've been saying. Bshady gets a deal that he wants, or he moves on. Its well beyond ridiculous to say that he is being shady, or that he has some sense of entitlement to expect 2 free Hoppers. If he can get it, why shouldn't he? If he can't get it from Dish, he isn't suffering from any kind of entitlement affliction if he goes somewhere else, like the HR34 and additional HR from D* for free.

He should be able to ask for anything that he wants.

#20 OFFLINE   James Long

James Long

Ready for Uplink!

• Super Moderators
  • 39,758 posts

Posted 25 March 2012 - 12:15 PM

But how ridiculous is it to expect the customer to care how much it costs Dish to provide a service that the customer pays for?

That may be the biggest disconnect between early satellite service and what we have today ... in the "good old days" of DBS there was a lot more investment by the customer. Buying their own equipment and perhaps getting a rebate spread out over 20 months. A new customer might get a free basic install ($99 value) but the idea that one would get free equipment, free install, $20 off for a year, free programming.

The competition with cable companies that rely on introductory offers to survive (especially in the past few years as subscribers dropped) drove DirecTV to match the introductory offers and eventually DISH followed along. Then the existing customers got mad and started bouncing back and forth between providers to get better deals.

Some would say that satellite companies have lost touch with their customers ... that the days of Charlie and Rupert caring about their customers are as gone as having those people as the public face of the companies. But the customers seem to have lost touch with the satellite providers as well ... not understanding that the great lengths that they go to to get the signals to our homes - or simply not caring.

He should be able to ask for anything that he wants.

Anyone can ask, for anything ... just keep expectations in check.

I would not expect a second Hopper for free and if anyone offered me the second one for less than $199 I'd want the offer in writing before I accepted it. (Ok, I might accept the second Hopper for $99 if there was a valid explanation for the discount.)

Protected By... spam firewall...And...