Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be a part of DBSTalk by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members.

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1601 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   HGuardian

HGuardian

Godfather

• Registered
  • 429 posts

Posted 02 April 2012 - 09:12 PM

same thing with comcast and other big cable systems.

Cox, Charter, Fios, and Mediacom have it as well as Dish Network.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#42 OFFLINE   Paul Secic

Paul Secic

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 5,995 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:53 AM

May 26th on EPIX: Carl Froch vs Lucian Bute. One of the biggest non-PPV fights of the year and Directv won't have it.

Great I like fist fights. EPIX has lots of great movies too.

Enjoying AT 250 HBO, 

Equipment: VIP 722 reciever

#43 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:42 AM

Great I like fist fights. EPIX has lots of great movies too.

Me too! I love boxing, the more the merrier!

I may just have to re-consider a dual-sub situation. If I could only figure out how to avoid the near-duplication of channels and make it a bit more affordable, I would already be doing it. :(

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#44 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:46 AM

I didn't think to mention the CW item. (Sorry. :eek2:) Then again, I couldn't think of everything. (I'm now recalling not listing the new regional for Los Angeles Lakers. I read there will be two, not just one, channels.) CW's distant network would be in my list for other programming that are "Notable" just as a national feed is for Ion.

As I posted in another thread, the lack of CW HD-DNS is a sore subject for me:

If it wasn't for the fact that I'm watching more NBC these days due to "The Voice," I'd say that The CW has more hours of programming on IT that I like than NBC... and getting close to FOX in that regard as well. CBS is the only network that TRULY blows it out of the water in that regard...

I don't watch "One Tree Hill" so it's not as painful as other times that it happens, but I'm CONSISTENTLY TICKED OFF whenever there is an HD tag in the GUIDE on my CW affiliate like it is tomorrow night. :mad: Add that to the fact that I've been watching some CW-HD programming I had recorded (back when we briefly had CW-HD) on my HR24-100 that I'm about to deactivate, and it's just cruel... :mad:

:mad:

As for ranking: those in the Top 10, in the Top 20, and so on, are presented in order of their channel placement. Basically, they are tiered listings. Say, "if we were to get up to 10"; "if were to get up to 20"; "if we were to get up to 25"; etc. I'm basing them on priority. This group. Followed by that group. And then…. (Last couple years DirecTV so focused on premium-movie multiscreens that the ones from Encore are placed, by me, on low priority. Only thing below them are Jewelry Television HD and numerous religious programmers's HD.)

About that Top 10: all of them except Viacom's TV Land HD should have been carried by DirecTV as far back as, say, 2009. TV Land, now that AMC and truTV are carried in HD, gets a spot in the Top 10, because of original programming (you can actually see some clips in HD at its site) and what else it shows that can be seen in HD. (Like reruns of Everybody Loves Raymond which ran on CBS from 1996 to 2005.) The rest of the Top 10: Discovery's BBC America HD; Turner's Turner Classic Movies HD and Headline News HD; A&E Networks's Lifetime Movie Network HD and H2 HD; Comcast's E! Entertainment Television HD and Style Network HD; Scripps' DIY Network HD and Cooking Channel HD. We're finding them routinely on other systems to the point it's downright inexcusable and embarrassing they're not available in high def on DirecTV.

The challenge, in that exercise, was whether some in the Top 20 should be brought down a notch, and any in the Top 25 should move up between Nos. 11 and 20 on priority. But I'm more certain with the Top 10. (Though I'm sure some would say, understandably, that a switch with one item should be made with another. :))

I understand...

On a personal level, I disagree with several of the placements due to my own personal tastes, but looking at it objectively, I pretty much agree. I'm not sure I wouldn't replace Style in the top ten with one of the channels in the top twenty five, but aside from that, I see how you got the positions you did (for the ones near the top anyway).

~Alan

#45 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,700 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 03:32 PM

This edition of Sesame Street is brought to you by the DirecTV word ...... SOON !!

...and the number 2,014.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#46 OFFLINE   Racer88

Racer88

Icon

• Registered
  • 795 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:01 PM

I'd take any of those 10 this year, then the others when D14 is operational. I wonder if there is currently enough bandwidth to add 10 measly HD channels.

Get rid of the hundreds of copies of the EXACT same thing multiplied times 4 that's being broadcast half the time on network channels and there would be enough room for every freaking HD channel known to man....:nono2:

#47 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

Personally, I would like a follow up to this post from February 2nd:

Yes, you are going to get additional HD channels this year. Several in the next couple of months and then more after that.

A couple means two. I won't put a number on "several" because it's so inexact, except to say it must equate to more than two/a couple.

In the past couple months, we've got one full time channel and a halftime channel that requires Extra Innings to even see the part-time programming.

I have no idea whether the poster misspoke, plans changed, or he purposely over hyped what would occur. All I expect is accuracy. The worse thing to feel is that you were lied to.

#48 ONLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,518 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 03 April 2012 - 05:25 PM

In the past couple months, we've got one full time channel and a halftime channel that requires Extra Innings to even see the part-time programming.

People in Padres territory don't need EI to see FSSD.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#49 OFFLINE   QuickDrop

QuickDrop

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,115 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:09 PM

People in Padres territory don't need EI to see FSSD.

If the original poster posted in a local HD thread for San Diego, San Diego audiences would still be missing at least 1 1/2 channels based on the time table and number of channels the original poster laid out.

As it happens, the original poster posted in a thread dedicated to national channels. I'm happy for Padre fans that they get to see their team in HD, but even folks in San Diego haven't got "several" HD channels in the last "couple" months; but getting a part time channel whose only significant programming is Padre games that the national viewer can only get by subscribing to Extra Innings doesn't disprove anything I wrote. All your post shows is that RSNs are primarily different from national channels.

I'm happy that cities get their local programming in HD. I will never complain that a city gets a local channel in HD on DirecTV before I do, especially in a thread dedicated to national channels. All I ask is that when someone who works for DirecTV posts in a national thread, they post honestly for a national audience.

Go PADRES!

#50 OFFLINE   jjeeffff

jjeeffff

Mentor

• Registered
  • 46 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 06:21 PM

I'd take any of those 10 this year, then the others when D14 is operational. I wonder if there is currently enough bandwidth to add 10 measly HD channels.

+1 That would be just about everything watched even occasionally in our home. All of these would make me very happy.

#51 OFFLINE   Justin85

Justin85

Legend

• Registered
  • 117 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 08:48 PM

Allan, Pentagon Channel is a non-premium that is not carried.

#52 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 13,976 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:20 PM

Get rid of the hundreds of copies of the EXACT same thing multiplied times 4 that's being broadcast half the time on network channels and there would be enough room for every freaking HD channel known to man....:nono2:

Which channels are you talking about? You mean the locals? They don't take up as much room as you think they do, because they use spot beams to distribute them. If you just broadcast one DMA s stations from each time zone nationally, you would not gain to many national transponders. I'm guessing you'd gain a couple transponders, maybe. Remember the space way sats can't do national transponders either.

All the other channels that are duplicates, like the audience network, they are only being broadcast one time, and just showing up n multiple channels.

#53 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:35 PM

Allan, Pentagon Channel is a non-premium that is not carried.

What the frak... :confused:

I believe it was on the list at one time, but for whatever reason, it wasn't again. Good get... :)

I added it.

Which channels are you talking about? You mean the locals? They don't take up as much room as you think they do, because they use spot beams to distribute them. If you just broadcast one DMA s stations from each time zone nationally, you would not gain to many national transponders. I'm guessing you'd gain a couple transponders, maybe. Remember the space way sats can't do national transponders either.

All the other channels that are duplicates, like the audience network, they are only being broadcast one time, and just showing up n multiple channels.

I think he was referring to all the duplicates in syndicated programs...

~Alan

#54 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,654 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 03 April 2012 - 09:53 PM

Never mind, can't delete post from my iPad.

#55 OFFLINE   vobguy

vobguy

Mentor

• Registered
  • 36 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:34 AM

For me, just BBCA-HD.

I have made a firm commitment to myself that I will not watch another season of Doctor Who in SD!

Same here. If Doctor Who had not been HD on Sci Fi , I would not miss it so much, but it is just really dreadful. Perhaps I will order the blu-ray after the season is over.

And this new Hopper from Dish really may push me over the edge to go over to Dish. Will wait and see how that system works, perhaps test drive it at a friend's place. She doesn't record much so she said she would not mind if I recorded a few shows at her place and see how it all works.

#56 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:51 AM

Same here. If Doctor Who had not been HD on Sci Fi , I would not miss it so much, but it is just really dreadful. Perhaps I will order the blu-ray after the season is over.

"Doctor Who" did not switch to HD until after it moved to BBCA.

~Alan

#57 OFFLINE   lparsons21

lparsons21

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 3,208 posts
  • LocationHerrin, IL

Posted 04 April 2012 - 10:58 AM

"Doctor Who" did not switch to HD until after it moved to BBCA.

~Alan

That could be true. But I'm not actually worried about that. All I know is that when Doctor Who's next season starts I will be watching it in HD. If D* has BBCA-HD by then I'll probably be with D*. But if they don't, then a switch is definitely going to happen.

Lloyd
Receiver : DirecTV Genie HR44-700
HDTV : Mitsi WD-73742 73" 3D DLP
Surround: Denon AVR-2113ci 7.1 Setup

#58 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,631 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:10 AM

That could be true. But I'm not actually worried about that. All I know is that when Doctor Who's next season starts I will be watching it in HD. If D* has BBCA-HD by then I'll probably be with D*. But if they don't, then a switch is definitely going to happen.

Yeah... I was just replying to vobguy about SciFi. :)

~Alan

#59 OFFLINE   Satelliteracer

Satelliteracer

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,019 posts

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:20 PM

:icon_band
DIRECTV employee

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of DIRECTV

#60 OFFLINE   loudo

loudo

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 4,423 posts
  • LocationCentral Maine

Posted 04 April 2012 - 07:29 PM

:icon_band

Is this introductory music?

H44-200 - Samsung 1080p 46" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Samsunbg 32" LED - HDMI
C41-100 - Mitsubishi 1080p 57" DLP - HDMI - Pioneer Home Theater Sound

LG 20 LCD" & Viewsonic 17" HDTV LCD - Component via Cat 6 baluns from HR44-200
Slimline w/ SWM3 LNB. OTA master antenna system to all sets.

spam firewall