Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1601 replies to this topic

#976 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

... Glad to see you went into more detail here! ...

Did think that it was interesting that no one commented after the post this morning, but then I remembered that you guys were deeply involved and tied up solving the mystery of which HD is the most important. :)

This D12 discovery may wind up being nothing, would love for gct, P. and DrJ to comment, but it certainly is a difference that I haven't seen before in the two years tracking D12.

...Ads Help To Support This Site...

#977 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

The pessimist in me wants to ask how many sports/Premium movie/PPV channels there are that D* doesnt carry :)

_OR_ just maybe, the Hopper/Joey is actually cutting into subs, and they are having to add the missing basic HD channels to keep them.

Potential PPV is unlimited, and RSNs are still pretty incomplete, but info on Premiums can be found by clicking here!

I doubt the last part...

~Alan

#978 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 9,094 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Did think that it was interesting that no one commented after the post this morning, but then I remembered that you guys were deeply involved and tied up solving the mystery of which HD is the most important. :)

Personally, I've learned to temper my excitement, so I didn't want to get my hopes up over something that could have been additional PUSH channels or the like... :rolleyes:

There was never a mystery... it's all in the eye of the beholder (which was my point all along)... if I got worked up, well... I need something to get deeply involved in now that "American Idol" is over... :D :lol:

This D12 discovery may wind up being nothing, would love for gct, P. and DrJ to comment, but it certainly is a difference that I haven't seen before in the two years tracking D12.

I'll continue tempering... ;)

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Listening to Garth Brooks...

#979 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,828 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

It will be interesting to see if today's 12 new HD test channels turn into something:

http://www.dbstalk.c...202#post3025202

D12 Transponders 9 & 10 have always been somewhat a mystery, and appeared to be empty for two years now. Haven't been sure if the frequencies were being used for something else or hidden in some way.

But it's pretty clear from today's data that they've allocated 12 new HD all labeled "*DTV".

We've seen this before, and they've eventually turned into something.

We'll see how this plays out.

Didn't they use that for some sort of "push test" some time ago? Or was that a different transponder?

Either way, I saw your post this morning and am glad you did some more research on it. With the way sports channels are popping up, and most sports bars having DirecTV as their provider, they are going to need space for HD channels..... hopefully there will be plenty of basic HD as well.

Wondering if SR has a bit more info on those 12 HD channel openings. Or "potential" channels anyways. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#980 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,220 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Didn't they use that for some sort of "push test" some time ago? Or was that a different transponder? ...

Those are on D12 TP20-24.

#981 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:02 AM

I find it ironic that 12 new HD channels pop up the same day it's announced that York is taking over for Chang. Interesting.

#982 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,435 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 30 May 2012 - 10:45 AM

I find it ironic that 12 new HD channels pop up the same day it's announced that York is taking over for Chang. Interesting.

Chang is there until the year ends.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#983 OFFLINE   TheRatPatrol

TheRatPatrol

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,941 posts
  • LocationPhoenix, AZ

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:37 AM

Chang is there until the year ends.

True, but the article says that Yorks first assignment will be to negotiate the new Time Warner RSN.

#984 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Honi Soit Qui Mal Y Pense.

• DBSTalk Club
  • 15,113 posts
  • LocationWinters, CA, between Napa and Sacramento

Posted 30 May 2012 - 11:49 AM

Huh? What, where??? Gimme, gimme, gimme! :)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#985 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:15 PM

It's nice to know those TP's work. Good job Sixto!

They could be anything though. Heck it could be in testing for months. They could just be color bars or test patterns right now just to test the uplink, encoders and transponders. They could be reserved as "spares" if another TP goes bad. Who knows.

Through more efficient statistical multiplexing and updated encoder designs, it wouldn't be far fetched to see other transponders tack on a 6th test stream as well. Maybe we are better situated than we thought? Let the 12 slot speculation begin!

DIY
H2
BBCA
TCM
Style
We

Fuse
IFC
HLN
Bloomberg
Lakers RSN 1 (English)
Lakers RSN 2 (Spanish)

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#986 OFFLINE   inkahauts

inkahauts

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 18,308 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 12:23 PM

When are all the rest or the encore channels supposed to flip the switch and become Hi Definition?

#987 OFFLINE   RML81

RML81

Legend

• Registered
  • 111 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:54 PM

I'm sure that in the spirit of the occasion, no matter what's added in HD it will make a lot of us very unhappy :)

#988 OFFLINE   bobvick1983

bobvick1983

Godfather

• Registered
  • 277 posts
  • LocationNW Alabama

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:16 PM

Lakers RSN 2 (Spanish)

Why would they have to have a English and Spanish feed seperate, could the audio track just not be changed to Spanish from English? Looks like that would be more efficent. Just wondering.

DIRECTV
DIRECTV AU9-SL3 dish, SWM 16, HR44-700, HR24-100 2TB external HDD, HR24--200 1TB external HDD, HR24-200 1TB external HDD, HR21-700 receivers 2TB interal HDD, DECA Networked

C-BAND

7.5' SAMI C-Band dish, Chaparral Dual C feed, Norsat 8115C-Band LNB's, GEOSat Pro MicroHD, GBox V3000 Positioner

#989 OFFLINE   espnjason

espnjason

Armchair Referee

• Registered
  • 529 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:10 PM

TWC Sports are planning on entirely separate production staff, hosts, analysts, reporters and maybe even more appropriate adverts for The English and Spanish speaking audience. I think the only thing they would have in common is the Lakers and Galaxy.

I wouldn't rule out the possibility of SAP in likely cases of game overlap, especially if TWC lands the Dodgers.

Second, I would place my bet on the Spanish Lakers network going on the same bird as the Spanish channels.

Lakers RSN 2 (Spanish)

Why would they have to have a English and Spanish feed seperate, could the audio track just not be changed to Spanish from English? Looks like that would be more efficent. Just wondering.

Subscribed to DirecTV for NFL Sunday Ticket, remained a subscriber for international football.

#990 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:24 PM

When are all the rest or the encore channels supposed to flip the switch and become Hi Definition?

That might be part of it
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#991 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:25 PM

Thanks for the info Sixto
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#992 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,172 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:49 PM

Ok if the Spanish Lakers network goes on a bird that has Spanish channels, then maybe... Investigation Discovery HD? I dunno, there's so many to choose from! I didn't even get into kids networks yet. Oh what about Nat Geo Wild, or Oxygen, or Ovation or OWN, Cooking, Sundance, GMC, GSN, ION, LMN, or more RSN's, etc.. There's just too many possibilities what it may or may not be!

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST: Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, Up, Music Choice Play HD, Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#993 OFFLINE   Mike Bertelson

Mike Bertelson

6EQUJ5 WOW!

• Topic Starter
  • Moderators
  • 14,003 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:57 PM

Some good speculation. I like it. :)

Mike

µß
Since it costs 1.66¢ to produce a penny, my 2¢ worth is really 3.32¢ worth.  That 3.32¢ is my own and not the 3.32¢ of DIRECTV, Dish, or anyone else for that matter.

#994 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:27 PM

Looks like we have some new life in this thred
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#995 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,096 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 30 May 2012 - 05:44 PM

Sixto,

Thanks!

And much-appreciated.

(Hoping for non-premiums in HD.)

#996 OFFLINE   tonyd79

tonyd79

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 12,955 posts
  • LocationColumbia, MD

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:38 PM

Same reason they have HBOL. Targeted programming. Graphics in Spanish. Guide data in Spanish. Commercials in Spanish.
LR: HR34-700, H24-200, Fios DVR, BD350 Blu Ray, Roku Netflix Player, Chromecast, Sony 65w850 TV
BR: HR21-200, Viso 32LX, DB350 Blu Ray
Dish: Slimline, SWM8
Other: genieGo

#997 OFFLINE   Crow159

Crow159

Icon

• Registered
  • 521 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:39 PM

Remember that Starz and Directv come to a new agreement a few months ago that listed Retroplex and Indyplex as coming at some point.

#998 OFFLINE   djzack67

djzack67

Icon

• Registered
  • 899 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:07 PM

Remember that Starz and Directv come to a new agreement a few months ago that listed Retroplex and Indyplex as coming at some point.

Those might be nice along with some basic.
Waiting for
BBCA HD

#999 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,091 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:10 PM

Those might be nice along with some basic.

Those ARE basic channels.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#1000 OFFLINE   stevester23

stevester23

Mentor

• Registered
  • 38 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 07:11 PM

I'm not getting the pole out of the crawl-space just yet.:rolleyes:

Protected By... spam firewall...And...