Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1601 replies to this topic

#961 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 29 May 2012 - 05:45 PM

I'd place a heavy wager on DirecTV customers already having what HD channels are most important to them.

Oh yeah... I forgot about this part...

A few missing channels that are among the most important to me (not counting my local ABC that is SD only on DirecTV):

• CW HD-DNS East
  • CW HD-DNS West
  • BBC America HD
  • TV Land HD
  • Turner Classic Movies
  • DIY
  • Cooking Channel
  • Lifetime Movie Network

There are more that are important to me, but the above is just some of the more important channels.

~Alan

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#962 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:03 PM

The point is that folks either chose to misconstrue what Mr. Chang said for their own purposes or misunderstood it without any logical explanation for doing so. We do have "most of the important stuff in HD" luckily. What we don't have are a hand full of fairly popular channels and a gaggle of bottom feeders. If what we don't have amounts to what is actually most important to you...well...welcome to the extreme minority in that arena. I doubt you'll find many people who will look at DirecTV, the satellite provider with the most HD channels, and find that most of what they want in HD isn't carried.

Edited by Hoosier205, 29 May 2012 - 06:23 PM.

#963 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:11 PM

The point is that folks either chose to misconstrue what Mr. Change said for their own purposes or misunderstood it without any logical explanation for doing so.

Mr. Change....

That's a nice name... the only thing that would make it better is if his middle name was "Waitforit." :D

I think most people understood what Mr. Chang meant. I did... he wasn't referring to what was important to people, but what was important to DirecTV, which was, among other things, the most popular channels.

Some of us were picking on your for your statement... something that you make fun! :D

We do have "most of the important stuff in HD" luckily.

Depending upon one's personal taste... :D

What we don't have are a hand full of fairly popular channels and a gaggle of bottom feeders.

Agreed...

I doubt you'll find many people who will look at DirecTV, the satellite provider with the most HD channels, and find that most of what they want in HD isn't carried.

At the prices the pay-TV industry is charging these days, the fact that a provider offers them MOST of what they want in HD could still be a disappointing statement. Sure, one or two channels should be expected, but when you're talking about half a dozen or more, it's sad...

~Alan

#964 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:13 PM

Actions speak louder than words. I really dont care what Chang said actually means. I havent seen his company add basic HD channels people are requesting.

And there are obviously lots of people who look at DirecTv and choose other providers. If not, cable and Dish would be out of business.

HD channel counts are really not very accurate, considering on my DirecTv guide, LOTS of the HD channels have "To Be Announced" or "Upcoming:XXXXX"... For those sports pack people, who like seeing "Blacked out, searching for program on another channel, opps, sorry, cant find it", I guess having 100 regional channels is handy. Not to me, mind you, but obviously important to others.

Since this is the HD thread, I wont even go into the number of SD channels I watch on Xfinity that arent carried on DirecTv at all.

I really dont understand what the point is in worrying about Chang's comment. All I care about is being able to drop to one provider to save some money, and still get the channels I want. Paying two providers is not economical. Luckily, I dont party, so my budget has the money available right now to do that.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#965 OFFLINE   Hoosier205

Hoosier205

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 6,596 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:33 PM

Mr. Change....

That's a nice name... the only thing that would make it better is if his middle name was "Waitforit." :D

I think most people understood what Mr. Chang meant. I did... he wasn't referring to what was important to people, but what was important to DirecTV, which was, among other things, the most popular channels.

A simple typo. He was referring to what was most important. Not to Directv, but simply those channels that are obviously most important.

Some of us were picking on your for your statement... something that you make fun! :D

My statement? There was nothing there to pick on.

Depending upon one's personal taste... :D

We have most of what is important by an reasonable standard.

At the prices the pay-TV industry is charging these days, the fact that a provider offers them MOST of what they want in HD could still be a disappointing statement. Sure, one or two channels should be expected, but when you're talking about half a dozen or more, it's sad...

In no way is it sad. It's realistic and it will always be the same. Always. It's a recurring problem here: a lack of understanding about the very business we are discussing.

#966 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 06:53 PM

A simple typo.

I know... I don't usually point them out, but I LIKED this typo! :)

He was referring to what was most important. Not to Directv, but simply those channels that are obviously most important.

To whom, then?

My statement? There was nothing there to pick on.

I'd place a heavy wager on DirecTV customers already having what HD channels are most important to them.

If you believe there's nothing there to pick on, do I get the wager? :D

I could really use it...

We have most of what is important by an reasonable standard.

I certainly have MOST of what is important... and I suspect it's that way by the majority, but I'm missing several from my Top 10, and more from my Top 20.

As I stated, I'm somewhere between 60/40 and 70/30. Others might not be so lucky...

In no way is it sad.

How is it not?

It's realistic and it will always be the same. Always.

It didn't used to be...

It's a recurring problem here: a lack of understanding about the very business we are discussing.

Now I'm just lost... :scratch:

~Alan

#967 OFFLINE   studechip

studechip

Godfather

• Registered
  • 939 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 07:25 PM

Some people, not you Alan, have no sense of humor!

#968 OFFLINE   JimAtTheRez

JimAtTheRez

Legend

• Registered
  • 224 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:31 PM

The more the merrier, and the sooner the better. Of course, I want everything in HD, and would really like TCM and DIY, but since we rec'd AMC in HD, I'm pretty satisfied.

“The problem with quotes from the internet is that you cannot always verify the authenticity.”

---------Abraham Lincoln

#969 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:34 PM

It will be interesting to see if today's 12 new HD test channels turn into something:

http://www.dbstalk.c...202#post3025202

D12 Transponders 9 & 10 have always been somewhat a mystery, and appeared to be empty for two years now. Haven't been sure if the frequencies were being used for something else or hidden in some way.

But it's pretty clear from today's data that they've allocated 12 new HD all labeled "*DTV".

We've seen this before, and they've eventually turned into something.

We'll see how this plays out.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#970 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:38 PM

Some people, not you Alan, have no sense of humor!

Good! I was worried there for a minute...

If I didn't have a sense of humor, I wouldn't have anything at all! :P

~Alan

#971 OFFLINE   fleckrj

fleckrj

Icon

• Registered
  • 1,048 posts
  • LocationCary, NC

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:43 PM

And, indeed, talking heads don't need nearly the bandwidth to convey good pictures as does lacrosse or any sport that has real movement. (Leaves out bowling and baseball....) and poker, 'ceptin' that's not a sport.

Off topic, but you struck a nerve with me ;)

Poker is closer to being a sport than gymnastics or figure skating. At least with poker, there are objective measures to determine who won or lost, and that makes it a sport. With gymnastics or figure skating, the judging is completely subjective and at times arbitrary. Even ski jumping, bull riding, or anything else that has "style points" are only half sports, because half of what determines the winner and loser is subjective.

I agree that gymnastics and figure skating require skill and physical ability, but so does ballet. That does not make it a sport. They are art forms - very physical art forms, but art forms nonetheless. A sport requires an objective endpoint. Poker has an objective endpoint and gymnastics and figure skating do not.

#972 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

I know... I don't usually point them out, but I LIKED this typo! :)

To whom, then?

If you believe there's nothing there to pick on, do I get the wager? :D

I could really use it...

I certainly have MOST of what is important... and I suspect it's that way by the majority, but I'm missing several from my Top 10, and more from my Top 20.

As I stated, I'm somewhere between 60/40 and 70/30. Others might not be so lucky...

How is it not?

It didn't used to be...

Now I'm just lost... :scratch:

~Alan

Nice job Alan! I do agree with everything that you stated! I'm also probably in the 70/30 range.
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#973 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:50 PM

It will be interesting to see if today's 12 new HD test channels turn into something:

D12 Transponders 9 & 10 have always been somewhat a mystery, and appeared to be empty for two years now. Haven't been sure if the frequencies were being used for something else or hidden in some way.

But it's pretty clear from today's data that they've allocated 12 new HD all labeled "*DTV".

Glad to see you went into more detail here!

Potentially good news... a much appreciated parting gift from Mr. Chang, perhaps?! :)

If it includes some of the oft requested HD channels and spread out, cool!

If they arrive in a lump sum, some people might lose bladder control... :eek2:

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Listening to "Seven Devils" by Florence + The Machine...

#974 OFFLINE   thelucky1

thelucky1

Icon

• Registered
  • 897 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 08:52 PM

It will be interesting to see if today's 12 new HD test channels turn into something:http://www.dbstalk.c...202#post3025202

I hope it's mostly new basic HD additions! BTW Thanks for all the info Sixto!
A DIRECTV Customer since 1998 :)

#975 OFFLINE   Davenlr

Davenlr

Geek til I die

• Registered
  • 9,089 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:00 PM

If it includes some of the oft requested HD channels and spread out, cool!

The pessimist in me wants to ask how many sports/Premium movie/PPV channels there are that D* doesnt carry :)

_OR_ just maybe, the Hopper/Joey is actually cutting into subs, and they are having to add the missing basic HD channels to keep them.

Tivo Premier XL4, Tivo Premier, Tivo HD whole home on Xfinity HD, DirecTv Whole Home with 39" high gain KaKu dish, Roku3,SageTv 8 TB Win8 Server -> DVDO Edge-> Denon AVR, Klipsch KB15's/Panasonic 55ST60 plasma"

#976 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:05 PM

... Glad to see you went into more detail here! ...

Did think that it was interesting that no one commented after the post this morning, but then I remembered that you guys were deeply involved and tied up solving the mystery of which HD is the most important. :)

This D12 discovery may wind up being nothing, would love for gct, P. and DrJ to comment, but it certainly is a difference that I haven't seen before in the two years tracking D12.
DirecTV: Genie, H25, CCK, GenioGo, SWiM-16 & SWiM-8, DECA to Gigabit Switch with FiOS (75/35)
FiOS: Roamio Pro's (2), Roamio Plus, Mini's (4) with Ultimate HD (My Roamio Thoughts)

#977 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:06 PM

The pessimist in me wants to ask how many sports/Premium movie/PPV channels there are that D* doesnt carry :)

_OR_ just maybe, the Hopper/Joey is actually cutting into subs, and they are having to add the missing basic HD channels to keep them.

Potential PPV is unlimited, and RSNs are still pretty incomplete, but info on Premiums can be found by clicking here!

I doubt the last part...

~Alan

#978 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,661 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 09:12 PM

Did think that it was interesting that no one commented after the post this morning, but then I remembered that you guys were deeply involved and tied up solving the mystery of which HD is the most important. :)

Personally, I've learned to temper my excitement, so I didn't want to get my hopes up over something that could have been additional PUSH channels or the like... :rolleyes:

There was never a mystery... it's all in the eye of the beholder (which was my point all along)... if I got worked up, well... I need something to get deeply involved in now that "American Idol" is over... :D :lol:

This D12 discovery may wind up being nothing, would love for gct, P. and DrJ to comment, but it certainly is a difference that I haven't seen before in the two years tracking D12.

I'll continue tempering... ;)

~Alan<~~~~~~~~Listening to Garth Brooks...

#979 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 29 May 2012 - 11:52 PM

Didn't they use that for some sort of "push test" some time ago? Or was that a different transponder?

Either way, I saw your post this morning and am glad you did some more research on it. With the way sports channels are popping up, and most sports bars having DirecTV as their provider, they are going to need space for HD channels..... hopefully there will be plenty of basic HD as well.

Wondering if SR has a bit more info on those 12 HD channel openings. Or "potential" channels anyways. :D
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#980 OFFLINE   Sixto

Sixto

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 11,963 posts

Posted 30 May 2012 - 06:16 AM

Didn't they use that for some sort of "push test" some time ago? Or was that a different transponder? ...

Those are on D12 TP20-24.

spam firewall