Welcome to DBSTalk

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to DBSTalk. Our community covers all aspects of video delivery solutions including: Direct Broadcast Satellite (DBS), Cable Television, and Internet Protocol Television (IPTV). We also have forums to discuss popular television programs, home theater equipment, and internet streaming service providers. Members of our community include experts who can help you solve technical problems, industry professionals, company representatives, and novices who are here to learn.

Like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community. Sign-up is a free and simple process that requires minimal information. Be a part of our community by signing in or creating an account. The Digital Bit Stream starts here!
  • Reply to existing topics or start a discussion of your own
  • Subscribe to topics and forums and get email updates
  • Send private personal messages (PM) to other forum members
  • Customize your profile page and make new friends

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

DIRECTV HD Channel Anticipation (Official Q2-12 Thread)

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
1601 replies to this topic

#1181 OFFLINE   moob

moob

Legend

• Registered
  • 176 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 03:54 PM

I'm a Scifi fan, so BBCA is very high on my list... though I do like other content on the channel as well. I'd certainly be willing to give programming on the channel a try due to my enjoyment of other programming.

That's one of the reasons I want BBCA in HD as well. I'd like to check out some of the other shows on there, but watching it in D*'s awful SD makes my eyes bleed.

My PS3 doesn't work, I can't afford a 360, and unlike the Wii, I'm not exactly impressed with the Wii U. Otherwise, I'd be right there with you... :(

The PS3 looks to have some awesome games on the way with "Beyond: Two Souls" and "The Last Of Us"...

It's off topic, but I'm a PC gamer myself. But usually if it's on the consoles, it'll come to PC eventually.

Spike has had amazing coverage with live complete coverage of each big presentation.

**shakes fist**

I had no idea. :(

I always forget that Spike covers gaming as well. I still have it my head that G4 was the only channel, and since that's gone, I ignore everything else.

...Ads Help To Support This SIte...

#1182 OFFLINE   APB101

APB101

Icon

• DBSTalk Club
  • 933 posts
  • LocationMichigan

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:02 PM

:(

Where are we on HD?

That Satelliteracer says some of what will get added by the end of 2012 we will appreciate; some others that will become added we will dismiss?

Can we just say six, and figure two of them to be premium-movie channels (multiscreens); two that are newly launching sports; two that are basic-cable channels?

#1183 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts
  • LocationDawson, Georgia

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:14 PM

That's one of the reasons I want BBCA in HD as well. I'd like to check out some of the other shows on there, but watching it in D*'s awful SD makes my eyes bleed.

All SD looks terrible to me... :(

It's off topic, but I'm a PC gamer myself. But usually if it's on the consoles, it'll come to PC eventually.

I don't like PC gaming... which is good because my PCs are POS. I can't play games on them...

The END! :)

~Alan

#1184 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 04:16 PM

:(

Where are we on HD?

That Satelliteracer says some of what will get added by the end of 2012 we will appreciate; some others that will become added we will dismiss?

Can we just say six, and figure two of them to be premium-movie channels (multiscreens); two that are newly launching sports; two that are basic-cable channels?

One can make assumptions all they want, but most of us know what making assumptions does... ;)

I expect at least two RSNs this year...

Beyond those (which I care nothing about), I'm not getting my hopes up.

~Alan

#1185 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 08:59 PM

Remember it's not just the Lakers that could be lost, add in the Pac12 channel and FSN losing the former Pac 12 FBall/BBall games and even more teams will not be seen. As I understand it from my So Cal counterparts, USC Football rules the market each fall. That's why I too don't see D* not picking up TWC Sports and also the Pac 12 channels in some sort of mix even if it's the national channel with the local RSN channels on when needed for games. There is a chance to lose way too many subs on the West Coast.

You would be correct.... there is a big USC vs UCLA feud here, and since there is no NFL team in Los Angeles, these two teams are often the football team of choice, as it is easy to go to the games.

Although some may think that finding it very likely that these channels are going to be added as "being west coast biased", I think it is pretty much a "must have" situation for DirecTV.

You can bet that Time Warner Cable, who obviously will carry the channels (and has signed up for Pac12 already as well), will start a HUGE advertising campaign in local newspapers, radio, social media, and on TV of course that THEY carry the Lakers, USC Football, etc.... People will start switching to TWC rather quickly.

I think Time Warner also knows that DirecTV will eventually sign on for these channels, but if they can push the negotiations till after the season starts.... they can quickly rake in a bunch of early switchers.

In my humble, not so west coast biased opinion, I don't think DirecTV has a choice here. They just need to get the right price.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1186 OFFLINE   maartena

maartena

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,795 posts

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:03 PM

One can make assumptions all they want, but most of us know what making assumptions does... ;)

I expect at least two RSNs this year...

Beyond those (which I care nothing about), I'm not getting my hopes up.

~Alan

I expect 2 RSN's for the L.A. market and Pac12.

And no, I don't give a dam about any of those, but hey.... it's 3 new HD.

SatelliteRacer's post seemed to indicate he had a pretty good idea what is coming down the pipeline, with his "some will like it, some wish for other options" comment, and I am with you on this one: Beyond those three, I don't expect a whole lot else.

Maybe, just maybe we'll get 1 more basic HD this year. But I am not holding my breath.
[Disclaimer] The definition of "soon" is based solely on DirecTV's interpretation of the word, and all similarities with dictionary definitions of the word "soon" are purely coincidental and should not be interpreted as a time frame that will come to pass within a reasonable amount of time.

I am the Stig.

#1187 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 06 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

Perhaps it would be better if you examine those markets. Again, in the Los Angeles market DirecTV is looking at *losing* a major sports team, and thus a lot of customers, where if I am not mistaken, most of the networks you mention above have not yet been carried by DirecTV, and thus DirecTV is not in danger of losing a lot of customers over them. And that is the difference here.

Actually, the Trail Blazers used to be on FSN Northwest (now Root Sports Northwest) which DirecTV has always carried, so when they moved to CSN Northwest, which D* has never carried, we did lose a team.

Also the Hornets used to be on Fox Sports South, which D* has always carried, and when they moved to CST New Orleans, which D* has never carried, we lost them too.

Neither teams' games are on NBA League Pass either...

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

My giant list of missing or wrong logos

#1188 OFFLINE   sigma1914

sigma1914

Hall Of Fame

• DBSTalk Club
  • 14,013 posts
  • LocationAllen, TX

Posted 06 June 2012 - 10:02 PM

Neither teams' games are on NBA League Pass either...

Yes they are. Sometimes we get the Blazers feed.
If you stop responding to them or put them on ignore, then eventually they'll go away.

#1189 OFFLINE   mreposter

mreposter

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:18 AM

ISatelliteRacer's post seemed to indicate he had a pretty good idea what is coming down the pipeline, with his "some will like it, some wish for other options" comment, and I am with you on this one: Beyond those three, I don't expect a whole lot else.

As to SR's "some will like it, some won't" comment, has there ever been an HD addition that was universally praised? When the premiums were upgraded to HD, basics fans (like myself) were unhappy. When AMC was upgraded sports fans felt neglected, etc, etc.

Directv could add 20 new HD channels and someone would chime in, "but what about ___."

If Directv adds all these new RSNs that are coming online soon or the ones that have been so unobtainable (Philly is that you?) I'll be very happy for those sports fans. But as for myself, I'd be very disappointed that they chose sports over some of my longed-for basics.
.......... There are none so blind as those who can not see it in HD.
.......... Directv customer since January 2000.

#1190 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 June 2012 - 04:12 AM

Yes they are. Sometimes we get the Blazers feed.

Yes but the in-market fans never get to see them. Seems pretty unfair if you ask me.

DIRECTV customer

All comments are my own. Unless specifically stated, my views do NOT represent the views of other DIRECTV customers

#1191 OFFLINE   Coca Cola Kid

Coca Cola Kid

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 3,596 posts
  • LocationMt. Morris, MI

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:24 AM

If I read the tech thread right (correct me if I'm wrong though), there's 44 empty spots. Plenty of room for (in order of spot on channel lineup):

1. DIY HD
2. Cooking Channel HD
3. GSN HD
4. Style HD
5. Reelz Channel HD
6. HSN HD
7. Oxygen HD
8. Lifetime Women HD
9. TCM HD
10. Fox Movie Channel HD
11. We TV HD
12. Disney Junior HD
13. BBC America HD
14. H2 HD
15. Logo HD
16. Ovation HD
17. QVC HD
18. OWN HD
19. Nat Geo Wild HD
20. ID HD
21. The Hub HD
22. Nick Jr HD
23. Teen Nick HD
24. TV Land HD
25. TV One HD
26. Centric HD
27. GMC HD
28. Fuse TV HD
29. RFD HD
30. C-SPAN HD
31. C-SPAN2 HD
32. C-SPAN3 HD (replace the duplicate of the worthless News Mix SD)
33. OuterMax HD
33. Encore Drama HD
34. Encore Action HD
35. Flix HD
36. Sundance Channel HD
37. IFC HD
38. Sportsman Channel HD
39. Outdoor Channel HD
40. Fox Soccer Plus HD (full time)
41-42. Fox Sports Ohio (both feeds) HD (full time)
43. TWC SportsNet HD/CSN Houston HD/Pac-12 Network HD (depending on contracts)
44. ESPN8 The Ocho HD

Edited by Coca Cola Kid, 07 June 2012 - 03:29 PM.

DIRECTV customer

#1192 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,846 posts
  • LocationPA - Berks County

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:40 AM

I keep seeing ads on HD channels for programming on cooking channel and we. These ads show the programming in HD. If directv wasn't allowed to showcase these channels in HD then why wouldn't the commercials be pillar boxed and quality reduced on the HD channels running these ads?

- > Link to my setup thread< -

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

My DirecTV SD WISHLIST: MTV Hits, MTV Jams, Music Choice, Youtoo TV

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#1193 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 11:58 AM

I keep seeing ads on HD channels for programming on cooking channel and we. These ads show the programming in HD. If directv wasn't allowed to showcase these channels in HD then why wouldn't the commercials be pillar boxed and quality reduced on the HD channels running these ads?

Because those commercials most likely are included in the channels HD stream itself. So if you're watching HGTV in HD and there's a commercial for DIY, that's in HD that is because that commercial is part of the HGTV feed that DirecTV is receiving and sending out to you. DirecTV didn't record something off DIY, edit it themselves and make the commercial.

If the company that produced the ad did so in HD, and sent it to a channel to be aired, and that channel is in HD then that is what you are going to see. Why would DirecTV pay someone to sit there and watch for commercials for channels they only carry in HD and set it to downconvert the HD channel airing it so the ad is only seen in SD.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1194 OFFLINE   Laxguy

Laxguy

Fortuna! Fameux des Halles

• DBSTalk Club
  • 12,582 posts
  • LocationWinters, California

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:07 PM

The bigger oddity, for me, is SD ads in an HD feed. Ads that are big budget items, not Mom n Pop locals. Even JG Wentworh, [877-cashnow!] makes 'em in HD these days. (Their operatic one is a fav. that occasionally I'll not FF through.)
"Laxguy" means a guy who loves lacrosse.

#1195 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:23 PM

I've seen HD commercials for The Hub, Lifetime Movie Network, The CW, DIY, Cooking, WeTV, TV Land, etc., etc.

Heck, I remember seeing HD commercials for E! and AMC years ago... ditto for Lifetime prior to DirecTV adding them.

Beerstalker is correct.

~Alan

#1196 OFFLINE   Beerstalker

Beerstalker

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,988 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 12:36 PM

The ones that do kind of annoy me are the ones that call out specific DirecTV channel numbers.

Like watch Dr Who on BBC American HD, then a voice breaks in and a screen pops up saying on DirecTV channel 264. The first time I saw it I got excited for a minute and thought they had finally added BBC-A HD.
Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed. Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn’t drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, "It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver."
-by Jack Handy

#1197 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:01 PM

If that is the case, then enough with the whole contracts argument. You see an ad for a show on the cooking channel for example, and the graphics, people and whole thing is in HD - just because your watching HGTV or TruTV or something.... then for those 30 seconds they are playing Cooking channel HD content.

I say lets get rid of these walls and if DirecTV has rights to display the content, it should display it in HD. These providers can't ask for more money. Enough with this segregation. HD shouldn't be regulated to the back of the bus anymore.

My  DirecTV HD WISHLIST:  NickJR, Nicktoons, Revolt.TV, FXM, We, Oxygen, The Hub, Fuse, GSN, Sprout, GAC, Esquire, MTV2, BBC World News, Sundance, Up, Music Choice Play HD (formerly SWRV), Al Jazeera America, Military Channel, NASA

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#1198 OFFLINE   Alan Gordon

Alan Gordon

Chancellor

• Registered
  • 8,856 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:16 PM

The ones that do kind of annoy me are the ones that call out specific DirecTV channel numbers.

Like watch Dr Who on BBC American HD, then a voice breaks in and a screen pops up saying on DirecTV channel 264. The first time I saw it I got excited for a minute and thought they had finally added BBC-A HD.

I TOTALLY forgot about BBCA... yeah, I remember seeing commercials for "Torchwood: Children Of Earth" IN HD prior to BBCA HD feed even launching! :mad:

BTW... speaking of BBCA, I mentioned "The Misfits" were on sale on iTunes for $4.99... turns out, it's a BBCA sale for a ton of shows, and several of them (CoE mentioned above being one of them) are selling for $4.99 in HD. :eek2:

If that is the case, then enough with the whole contracts argument. You see an ad for a show on the cooking channel for example, and the graphics, people and whole thing is in HD - just because your watching HGTV or TruTV or something.... then for those 30 seconds they are playing Cooking channel HD content.

I say lets get rid of these walls and if DirecTV has rights to display the content, it should display it in HD. These providers can't ask for more money. Enough with this segregation. HD shouldn't be regulated to the back of the bus anymore.

Multiple channels offer their HD feeds for free... but as mentioned before, there is other costs associated with offering the HD feeds, not to mention that it's possible some of these channels might use the opportunity to get more money for their SD feed at the same time.

You are still watching HGTV or TruTV... NOT Cooking Channel.

~Alan

#1199 OFFLINE   cypherx

cypherx

Hall Of Fame

• Registered
  • 2,846 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 01:25 PM

Yes this is what I mean! They were like saying cooking channel blah blah blah (I don't even remember the number since its not HD i don't watch it yet...). But you see the logo and excerpts from the programming in HD and you just think oh ch 2 hundred something, cooking in HD? Then you go to it and it's a big burry mess like someone took their glasses off!

Also the biggest PITA ads they run lately are those phone numbers to call if you ever taking certain drugs like Yaz is one or Ocella(sp?). I'm not sure if these are locally added or not. I never saw these kind of ads before I had DirecTV.

---

HR44-500
HR24-200

#1200 OFFLINE   oldcrooner

oldcrooner

Godfather

• Registered
  • 268 posts

Posted 07 June 2012 - 02:21 PM

Apparently you don't count FOX as a network either then?! ;)

To the FCC, it does!

The WB, UPN, and MyNetworkTV never qualified for that status. The CW does...

It was around the time it qualified for that status that DirecTV offered DNS options for it (which they never did for the other networks listed above).

~Alan

Everyone commenting seems to have missed my point.....I was offering a technical definition of the term "network".....not the FCC or Directv interpretations of the term.
Men become civilized, not in proportion to their willingness to believe, but in proportion to their readiness to doubt.
--Ambrose Bierce

Protected By... spam firewall...And...